2006 AUDI A4 2.0T Check Engine light On intermittently

TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66650
Check engine light comes on, stays on while driving. After going home to park next morning when I started the light is gone off. Just to this morning light is back on with fault code 012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation
P310B - 008 - Fuel Pressure Outside Specification - Intermittent.
Problem seem intermittent. fault cleared but comes back again. Measured values in engine electronic system channel 106 shows readings 49bar (Fuel rail pressure) at hot engine idling conditions. Is this reading correct?I thought mostly the value should be 39-40? But since fault code relates to low pressure side, I am thinking the fault could be caused be faulty low pressure pump control module J538 but couldnt find on on the low pressure pump. Or is it located somewhere else on this car?

the car drives great even when the CEL comes on!

Any great ideas would be appreciated!

Code:
Thursday,04,September,2014,02:37:16:46890
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 12.12.3.0
Data version: 20140822

VIN:    License Plate: GARY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 910 115 M    HW: 8E0 907 115 D
  Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI     0070
           Software Coding: 0104010A190F0120
            Work Shop Code: WSC 08136 444 54554
                      VCID: 2B5ECEB58AB21A461EF-807E
1 Fault Found:

012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation 
               P310B - 008 - Fuel Pressure Outside Specification - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 19
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 268551 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1287 /min
                    Load: 61.9 %
                    Speed: 8.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 99.0°C
                    Temperature: 49.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.716 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 01: DTCs cleared

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Edited thread title. This is clearly a 2.0T, not a 1.8T. BIG difference!

-Uwe-

TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66650
oh sorry you are right! Got mixed up with that.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P310B/012555

Get the engine up to operating temp. Let the engine idle, connect to the ECM, go into Measuring Block Group 106, field 2. I'm willing to bet it the value is greater than 60%.

The higher the value is, the harder the lift pump is working to maintain correct low side fuel pressure. Normally the value is around 50%. But a few issues can cause the pump to have to work harder:

* kink or twisted fuel lines
* restriction due to fuel filter
* lift pump out of factory design (worn/faulty)

Check your fuel lines for any issues. Replace the fuel filter... I'd suggest gasser cars get fuel filters at 80,000 miles (130,000 km) anyway. If the duty cycle of the lift pump is still over 60%, bad lift pump... and this is the most likely answer anyway.

All of us here at Ross Tech support have seen where repair shops replace these lift pumps with "factory parts" that came in a "factory box", and the car still have a bad reading in MVB 106.2. In many cases, the reading was worse with the "factory part" from that "factory box". I won't say where these lift pumps are being purchased, but I will tell you where the shops got the good stuff from... the Audi dealer. If you replace the fuel filter or lift pump, get them from an Audi dealer, otherwise you are rolling the dice.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I have on many occasions installed a separate regulator that can be dialed in.
I use a straight though filter to be superior over the cheap China filter with regulation that the OEM uses.

Example : Filter like in the OLD CIS fuel systems are much larger.......... that never had issues.

This way you can tweak the hold to the desired area.
The lift pump should have the ability to produce above 6 BAR continuous.

It is a TSB............ well known issue since going to this stupid single line design.
The early 8E0 series filters and regulator get plugged...... ( and they plug up easy by stupid design )..........that restriction of this stupid design, loads the pump...........result is it damages the physical ability of the pump to move the volume of fluids.

Really isn't a pump problem to start, however, becomes one.........as a result of cause and effect.

Makes me laugh when you see these boost pump kits installed and then they still use the filter that causes the issue. Brilliance!