GPS Time

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The lamp on my bedside table comes on at exactly sunrise - calibrated to my stratum 1 redundant time servers.
You really have your own stratum 1 reference clocks, or just using us.pool.ntp.org? :)

Very few of my clients actually pull the trigger on their own set, but GPS refclocks are getting cheaper all the time and I'm starting to get more interest from financial institutions and the like.

Wireless headset hooked up to the Avaya phone system
I'll let it go this time, because I like your A8.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Avaya? Are they still in business? We had a Lucent / Avaya system once. :D

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
You really have your own stratum 1 reference clocks

$300 gets you pretty darn good resolution.
Made in Lincoln Nebraska.

ScreenShot2014-09-05at175307_zps22e4dce8.png

Code:
[root@f16 ~]# ping -c3 time.jakematic.lan
PING time.jakematic.lan (192.168.0.42) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from time.jakematic.lan (192.168.0.42): icmp_req=1 ttl=255 time=0.698 ms
64 bytes from time.jakematic.lan (192.168.0.42): icmp_req=2 ttl=255 time=0.614 ms
64 bytes from time.jakematic.lan (192.168.0.42): icmp_req=3 ttl=255 time=0.659 ms

--- time.jakematic.lan ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.614/0.657/0.698/0.034 ms

chronyc> sources
210 Number of sources = 5
MS Name/IP address           Stratum Poll LastRx Last sample
============================================================================
^* time.jakematic.lan            1   10    173   +692us[ +781us] +/- 2061us
^+ li248-118.members.linode.     2   10    960  +3977us[+4062us] +/-   40ms
^? 167.88.119.29                 3   10    576  -8303us[-8216us] +/-   92ms
^+ y.ns.gin.ntt.net              2   10   1023    +12ms[  +12ms] +/-   73ms
^+ 199.167.29.243                2   10    649  -9610us[-9523us] +/-   99ms
chronyc>

I'll let it go this time, because I like your A8.

Yegads.... you don't really expect me to get my short and curlies zipped into that other company's till while they reach-around for my wallet now do you Jason ? :p

I still wax nostalgic after all the work I did with ATT LL and have redundant System 25s too.... with a bazillion TN cards as spares.
Can admin that baby in my sleep... but alas, no ICLID so they are RIPd.

Last edited:

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Avaya? Are they still in business? We had a Lucent / Avaya system once. :D

Yannoooo.... I'd post a picture of Grumpy Cat if I had one handy... :p

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You know, I have often wondered why some VWs and Audis have factory GPS navigation systems in them, but don't know the correct time! I'm not talking about high resolution either; +/- 15 seconds or so would be fine. GPS receivers do intrinsically know what time it is, don't they? And even if it's only UTC (or some equivalent), they also know where they're located, so how hard could it be for, say an MMI system (that has over 100 MB of code!) to figure out the correct local time?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
You know, I have often wondered why some VWs and Audis have factory GPS navigation systems in them, but don't know the correct time!

Well... this one in my Audi does

2011-audi-a8-analog-clock.jpg

Even my D3 did that... but was shown in DIS.
Check your MFI and MMI for a setting.
There is a VCDS setting for the radio to get time from Mainflingen via DCF77 for our European friends.

And yes, there is a setting is MMI so that it offsets from UTC.
In a giant facepalm moment, even thought it nows to high accuracy where you are, it doesn't correct time zone automatically.

What annoys me is I can connect to the vehicle from here to see if the MMI is on and view data usage, but it's not a two way street.
In the name of security that's not terrible though... and the D5 will be out when I rotate the next one out in 4 years.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Thread split

desismileys_0291.gif

Let's split this off at Jason's response please since I've taken Flaps' thread way off topic.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
$300 gets you pretty darn good resolution.
Made in Lincoln Nebraska.
Ooh, shiny. Bookmarked. The units I know of were still in the $1500-$3000 range. This is within range of the small-to-medium businesses I work with a lot. I'll have to see about getting a couple units for our lab.

Yegads.... you don't really expect me to get my short and curlies zipped into that other company's till while they reach-around for my wallet now do you Jason ? :p
What, and Avaya didn't? :)

I still wax nostalgic after all the work I did with ATT LL ...
The old long-lines business? Fun times... inband signaling sucks. Got any Captain Crunch whistles lying around still?

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
You know, I have often wondered why some VWs and Audis have factory GPS navigation systems in them, but don't know the correct time! I'm not talking about high resolution either; +/- 15 seconds or so would be fine. GPS receivers do intrinsically know what time it is, don't they?
Yes, with accuracy on the order of nanoseconds within the receiver. I'm not deeply familiar with the technology, but my understanding is the time signal is compared between satellites to measure signal propagation delay and thereby triangulate your location, so incredibly accurate time is intrinsic to how it works.

And even if it's only UTC (or some equivalent), they also know where they're located, so how hard could it be for, say an MMI system (that has over 100 MB of code!) to figure out the correct local time?
It's almost-UTC... it's off by a small but well-known number of seconds. UTC gets periodic leap-second adjustments and GPS time doesn't.

You do have to have a device with a little bit of CPU and the ability to get updates. Date and time math is shockingly non-trivial. A lot of developers think, what's the big deal, just +/- 3600 second blocks and you're good. Nope. Leap seconds, leap years, daylight savings changes, states and even individual areas within states that don't observe DST (Indiana in the past I think, also Arizona?), legislative tinkering (US in 2007, lots of other places recently), locales with timezone offsets that are sometimes 30 or even 15 minutes offset instead of 60 minutes, the sheer size of the timezone rule data involved for a worldwide manufacturer, and the rate of change. This is something you do NOT want to brew yourself. You want to use the system or language libraries.

Edit: forgot to even mention the GPS geofencing for actually selecting a timezone before crunching all the data above.

The MMI is well within range to do this. My wife's truck does it. My Phaeton syncs to GPS with a static user-set timezone, but it has the pre-2007 rules so it's worse than useless (this is what happens when you can't get updates!). A standalone low-cost analog clock display would probably not have the intelligence, but some of those (like my Phaeton at least) are dumb: they are commanded by the infotainment system to display whatever it wants, so they do okay. Doing this properly in say, low-line instrument clusters in cheap cars would probably be difficult.

Jason

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Ooh, shiny. Bookmarked. The units I know of were still in the $1500-$3000 range.

Yeah, I've been looking for years and finally found that on Amazon.
More business like options for mounting the receiver too instead of in the window behind the blinds near a network switch LOL
Easy peasy setup too.

What, and Avaya didn't? :)

Not lately :p

I spend tens of thousands just to run an office that's a little better than a circa 2002 ThinkPad, PAP2 and WECo 500 set work thinks I need.
Gotta say this IP500V2 is a slick little box with 9508s attached.

I miss my 'heater' in winter, but definitely not in summer.
Only reason I didn't upgrade to Definity.

The old long-lines business? Fun times... inband signaling sucks. Got any Captain Crunch whistles lying around still?

You're one of the few people I know who might know someone else with five LCXR paperweights and a hank of L4 on their desk. Besides me.
I've had my eye on an L4 main for decades but AT is wayyyyyy too proud of it to let it go for less than $1.2. Jerks. It'd take me that much to refurb it !

88103. I grew up with her.
So far I'm the last surviving person who worked there that hasn't died of bizarre causes. Yet.

88103-2-1-Entiretower_zpscfad249a.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
You're one of the few people I know who might know someone else with five LCXR paperweights and a hank of L4 on their desk. Besides me.
You're it, sorry. I'm only 37, so my involvement in the industry came quite some time after that. I learned about 2600Hz from various 31337 ph1l3z downloaded from dial-up bulletin boards circa 1993. Me and my buddies thought we came up on some awesome secret stuff. Tried it and got nothing... that stuff had been made irrelevant years before.

Had to Google pretty aggressively to even figure out what LCXR meant. I do work for a division of Cincinnati Bell but not on the wireline business. I'm pretty familiar with current-era telecom lingo about SS7-controlled digital stuff, and even the very old stuff from reading up on it (biographies of Alexander Graham Bell, etc) out of personal interest. The high-density analog facilities fell squarely in the middle.

88103. I grew up with her.
So far I'm the last surviving person who worked there that hasn't died of bizarre causes. Yet.
I have talked to some other people who did maintain microwave tower equipment. They told stories of people just walking in front of the antennas while they were in use. Effects varied from "nothing" to "melted a candy bar in my pocket". Either way, seems like a thing to avoid.

I'd give you trouble about anthropomorphizing a microwave tower, but I did recently post about a (bidirectional!) conversation I had with my car, so I'll refrain from casting stones from my glass house. :)

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Threadjacking my threadjack...

The lamp on my bedside table comes on at exactly sunrise - calibrated to my stratum 1 redundant time servers.

What are you using for home automation? It's something I'd like to play with at some point.

I had a buddy get deep into Z-Wave switches and outlets, and some other wireless standard I can't recall. He used a couple different pieces of central control software over time. He ended up coming away with the impression it was all buggy and not fully baked. He looked into some of the really good stuff (Crestron and friends), but they're all locked up in dealer networks and they simply refuse to sell to nerds who want to play with it themselves.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
What are you using for home automation? It's something I'd like to play with at some point.

Just WeMo at the moment.
This temporary (10 years) place I'm not investing any more into.

Hopefully next summer will be in a new place and get things done right.
With what... I don't know yet.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Another thread split soon for home automation?

FWIW, I drove our 2006 A6 some yesterday; full MMI in it, very close to the same MMI as in a D3 A8, with GPS nav, and the clock/calendar in the cluster thinks it's 2006. :rolleyes:

However, I don't need a car to know what year it is. I know what year it is. And my purely mechanical watch knows what time it is. :D

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
the clock/calendar in the cluster thinks it's 2006. :rolleyes:

Battery changed recently ?
Got a *cough* Auto-Scan *cough* ?

I suspect it reset to it's build date... just sayin' :p

Will ask the D3 guys if the date gets set - am 51% sure it does :rolleyes:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
FWIW, I drove our 2006 A6 some yesterday; full MMI in it, very close to the same MMI as in a D3 A8, with GPS nav, and the clock/calendar in the cluster thinks it's 2006. :rolleyes:

However, I don't need a car to know what year it is. I know what year it is.
Hint: "February 29th". :)

That said, the next leap year is two years from now (2016), and your car also thinks a leap year is two years from now (2008) so you'll get away with it unless the car also knows day-of-week (Sunday, Monday, etc). I've seen parking heater automatic schedules that care about that.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I didn't pay any attention to the date other than to note that the year was wonky. I'm sure it's because nobody has bothered to do that since the last time the whole car got rebooted, and I was pointing to it as an example of VW/Audi not bothering to get date/time info from the GPS.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I didn't pay any attention to the date other than to note that the year was wonky. I'm sure it's because nobody has bothered to do that since the last time the whole car got rebooted, and I was pointing to it as an example of VW/Audi not bothering to get date/time info from the GPS.

-Uwe-

This is gonna drive me nuts until I find out.
Off to check with the C6 and D3 guys....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This is gonna drive me nuts until I find out.
Off to check with the C6 and D3 guys....
Hah!

Jake, if I actually cared, I'd set the time/date manually. :)