Not open for further replies.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
In keeping with the bar theme...
I thought I'd start a thread and see how many of you have discarded the race with the other rats in favor of quality of life. I'm only 50 and the number of people I have known who aren't around any more is noteworthy. They never made it to retirement or got to relax with someone they love. I refuse to comply.

So here goes. Every morning my girlfriend and I leave the house at the same time in two vehicles. Now that school has started up again she drops off her son and then we meet for coffee. We live in a historic small town on Puget Sound where it is tomb quiet most of the time, very little crime to speak of (mostly military or retired military people in the area or people who otherwise STFU and mind their own business). Moving in with her increased my commute from .5 miles to 38 miles each way. Totally worth it.

Forgive the photo quality. These were taken with my z10 after flushing the OS for 10.3 in the past 48 hours. This is where we sit and have coffee together.

Yesterday:
IMG_20140904_072426_hdr_zpse7b64f8e.jpg

The white beast is my method of conveyance to work most days. Cheaper than a Hyundai, as fast as a Porsche, gas mileage of a Prius plus carpool lane and park where ever I damn well please that isn't annoying.

This morning:
IMG_20140905_072228_hdr_zpsdca635f8.jpg

Left the motorcycle at home and drove the Porsche. First world problems, right?

The white building still retains the sign from when it was a drug/hardware store. It's a restaurant now, a very good one. It was built in the 1850's, which for the left coast is a damn long time ago. Inside it are many items from way back. It's as though they run the restaurant around the untouched items from the ancient store. Back in the day there was an electric train that ran down the otherwise muddy road, all the way from Tacoma. People would wait inside the hardware store to stay out of the weather. The store lights would automatically dim to let people know the train was approaching.

So I get to work at 9 instead of 7am like most of the racing rats I work with. You know, the ones who have problems in their relationship and hate their jobs. With all of the BS meetings and butt sniffing that goes on during the day I probably achieve more in the two hours when everyone else is gone than in the entire rest of my work day. I also get to miss the heaviest wave of traffic on my commute home.

I have a GPS tracking app on my phone so my woman can see that I'm not under a bus. When I pull in to the drive the garage door is always up so I can pull in and she meets me as I strip off my gear. Like the line from the movie Arthur (the real one with Dudley Moore) "It doesn't suck".

Attachments

• IMG_20140904_072426_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20140904_072426_hdr.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not as often as I would like, but sometimes I get to wake up to this sunrise:

8hi5izp.jpg

With all of the BS meetings and butt sniffing that goes on
Back in late 1999 or early 2000 when I started working on what became VAG-COM, I thought: If I do a decent job with this, I'll never have to go back to that. "Meeting" is a dirty word around here.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The lamp on my bedside table comes on at exactly sunrise - calibrated to my stratum 1 redundant time servers.

Staggering to a coffee machine, I hope I ground beans for and put a litre of filtered water in the evening before, it gets switched on to brew for 6 minutes exactly.
Then on to a 15' x 20' office with blackout curtains lit solely with a 2.5W LED bulb.

The smooth jazz channel is then broadcast throughout the house, and the TV turned on and muted automatically for the parakeet.
Wireless headset hooked up to the Avaya phone system is placed over my ear, and one of the 3 phones on my desk is awakened from it's slumber.
Mobile phone is switched off and placed on the raised aluminum charging stand.

Then I sit in front of a 27" monitor for the next 12 hours.
All in very 'casual' clothing, with the dog snoring next to my chair.

On quiet days I go for a drive, run errands, walk the dog, or pick out new and interesting wines at the store.

It's great working from home 97% of the time and being able to choose your schedule.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Damn that is a curious mix of biometric and tech.

I loathe clocks. The only reason I ever look at them is so I can be punctual when life requires it (like having to meet a flight or other critical moment). I have not used an alarm clock since junior high school, but have the rather strange skill of being able to wake up exactly when I want to. I'm quirky and even pick a random number like 6:35am, which is my current time to get moving, and my eyes open right on time. I just look at the clock before I go to bed and really think about what time it is, and what time I want to wake up and then go to sleep. It has worked for around 35 years. Need to roll out at 4:30am? Not a problem. Want to sleep in until 10am? I'm in.

At work I'm reminded of John Z DeLorean. I don't dress according to expectation, I don't lick boots and I speak my mind even if it makes people squirm. I start work when I get there and I leave when I'm done (we all run an app to let me know when I'm done). I always put in my time and I never bill a minute I didn't work. Efforts by supervisors to get me to conform are met with blank stares. "Really? Are we in the third grade? We're not all joining in for tug of war and your asses aren't waiting for me to start an assembly line."

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've got nothing against iconoclasts (there seems to be a few here). Folk who deliberately (or innately) choose their beat-to-a- different-drum are (ironically) a normal and necessary part of of a well functioning society. But let's not forget that the nonconformists amongst us rely heavily on the the Proletariat for our status. Without the throng of people that have elected to become what we sometimes call the "rat-race", we "rebels" could not exist. Truth is that those who comply with societal norms are in reality just the same as those that choose to live on its edge. The motivations and the contributions of rat-race guys are no worse and no better than those of us iconoclasts -they are simply different!

And to those that haven't supped-from-the-cup-of-retirement yet, my advice is to do so before the grim reaper comes calling! Flapps10 seems to have the right philosophy (and partner), Uwe seems to have the right location (what a great sunset) and jakematic certainly has the correct taste in music. But alas the one common missing ingredient is the "R" word. Make the decision soon - please!

flygteye

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=79663
I work 2nd shift so I start my day whenever I feel like it. It's nice not having to wake up to alarm clocks, fighting traffic and dealing with office politics/gossip. First on the list of things to do is to work out (weights/treadmill/walk outside/bike) then it's breakfast. After that, it's a free for all until I have to start work. Do what I want when I want.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
If the weather permits it... Some fresh air is always a good choice... ;)

Sebastian; the view from the car is great, but the tantalising pic. of a quarter of a wooden steering wheel is even better! You can't just leave me salivating-please! What's the car (I'm guessing an early VW) and can you post a full length view?

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Yeah. What the hell kind of VW is that?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Not a VW, sorry. :) Needed something that wasn't even remotely work related, besides - back in those days VW had no "big" engines and I always admired the V8 sound. ;)

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible, originally a 289 (C-Code) with Ford's C4 Automatic. A previous owner had replaced the transmission, still a C4 but from a 1970+ Ford Bronco and did mods to the engine as well. Rust free and unless I can avoid it, the only German sky it sees is a sunny one... ;) However, it's not a weekend car - I'll actually use it even to get the groceries. My not-yet-wife loves it... :D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Not a VW, sorry. :) Needed something that wasn't even remotely work related, besides - back in those days VW had no "big" engines and I always admired the V8 sound. ;)

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible, originally a 289 (C-Code) with Ford's C4 Automatic. A previous owner had replaced the transmission, still a C4 but from a 1970+ Ford Bronco and did mods to the engine as well. Rust free and unless I can avoid it, the only German sky it sees is a sunny one... ;) However, it's not a weekend car - I'll actually use it even to get the groceries. My not-yet-wife loves it... :D

Sebastian: Sweet set of wheels! If only Ford had not made their usual mistake and put the steering wheel on the passenger side, I might be tempted to throw a lot of money at you for the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back