VCDS "Tags" ?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm trying to understand more about the identifier "tags" that appears to be unique to VCDS. I have a very large collection of admaps from different cars with MQB based platforms and I want to create a single library using the tag identifiers as the database key. Not entirely sure if it's possible, so I'm seeking more information about these beguiling little beasties!

So - if it's not divulging trade-secrets, can anyone @ RT (or in the wider world) explain how these tags are used - Are they creatures of RT's creation, or are the product of the Vater-Land?

It appears from my observation that regardless of the vehicle, the "Parent" tags and separately the "Child" tags are inviolate - but I could be mistaken (I'm probably wrong). Here's what I mean:

This is the adaptation channel descriptor from two different BCM s for the same "Child" channel:

IDE06864-ENG115734-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO

ENG141647-ENG115734-Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO

Notice the the "Child" tag number is the same in these two BCM s. Can I assume that this behavior is ubiquitous across all control modules in the VAG stable? The "Parent" tag number appears to be unique both within a particular module and accross modules.

And is the bed-rock for the number in a tag the function that the adaptation channel performs - or is it the words that are used in the descriptor? In asking this question, I'm trying to understand what happens to the tag-number when (if?) the descriptor gets anglicized - as often happens in successive versions of control modules.

And finally is anyone aware of any written material that might be available about this stuff to an anally-retentive, but completely harmless forum colleague ?

Don

Last edited:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
These are identifiers, not tags. Each of them corresponds with a specific text which means they should not change much - at least as far as the IDE and MAS identifiers are concerned. The ENG ones are in some cases replaced with IDE/MAS ones later down the road. Adaptation channels and other functions may have a main "channel" and sub-channels, hence the two identifiers in one case.

We are in the process of translating these in general as well as fixing translations of existing ones. Obviously there are a bunch of these and this takes time.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Sebastian: OK - thanks. I have irrevocably disassociated the term "tag" from these wonderful little beasties - "identifiers" it is! Although I'm not sure that I can do the same with Parent/Child and Main/Sub - but that's the deficiency of a very old and decrepit mind that had these fundamental database terms beaten into it by very strict and very insistent Jesuit priests in a time that I suspect was long before you were born!

From your response I think that the identifiers would make good database keys for my library

Don

PS: Is there any logic in the prefix IDE/MAS/ENG?