CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Intro---

Hi all,
Owner of 3 Passat's - 1998, 2001 & 2002.
2ea. 1.8T's & 1ea. V6.
Also in the family is a 2013 Jetta TDI Sport Wagon. Had a 98 Jetta which has been sold.
Myself and our kids have all been enjoying our VW product's for the past 10 years or so.
I've performed all the maintenance on them over the years.
Engine swap on the 98 AEB (VW OEM Manufactured ), clutch on the 01 ATQ V6, timing belts, etc., etc...
Bought ross tech HEX-USB back in 2008 - has proved itself extremely useful time and time again.

Currently having an issue with the 01 V6.
Over the past month, The Immobilizer has being intermittent, not always recognizing the key and disabling start
Unable to obtain the SKC (Secret Key Code) with VCDS, I bought another scanner to help with the issue.
From what I've read, it's best to obtain the SKC with another product, then re-code the new transponder key with VCDS.

Going through this process now.
It's one of the more confusing issues I've had to deal with so I've joined the forum to discuss the issue.

Regards, Ken

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Welcome aboard.

I do not think doing anything with a PIN/SKC code is going to solve an intermittent immobilizer problem. Such problems are generally caused by the pickup coil starting to go bad, or a dogdy connection between the pickup coil and the immobilizer (which is in your instrument cluster), something in the instrument cluster itself starting to fail, or a dodgy connection between the instrument cluster and the ECU.

Like Boki said, it's always good to start with an Auto-Scan.

Beyond that, do you have more than one key for this car? If so, does the problem occur with both keys?

The next time the car doesn't start, have a look at Measuring Blocks 022 and 023 in your instrument cluster and tell us what you see there. For reference, see here.

-Uwe-

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Thanks UWE & Boki,
As these are my first posts, I wasn't sure if "New User Forum" was the correct place to explain the issue.
This is my son's Passat. A 2001 GLX V6.
He (and the car) are about three hours away at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY.
I drove down last weekend to attempt to get it started and drive it home. No Luck.

The key is not being recognized. I get a flashing Immobi Key when turning the keyswitch to on.
Lower MFA LED reads - "Immobil activated" a few seconds after key is turned on.

Removed the plastic covers around the ignition switch to expose the connectors and wiring.
Removed the key tumbler. Cleaned the immobilizer coil connector (part on keyswitch that reads the RFID chip), plugged & unplugged it a few times. No help.
Checked resistance on that immo coil - 23.1 ohms as I recall. Read a post somewhere that 24 ohms was good.
Tried disconnecting battery / touching leads for 10 plus seconds.

Did not remove the instrument cluster to check it's connection.
It was raining from the Harvey storm and the car is uncovered in a student parking lot. Kinda put a damper on things..

The instrument cluster has never been out of this car, no chipping, ecu mod's ,etc..

It's a half height MFA LED display and has always faded to the point it's almost unreadable in warm weather.
If it's needed later or for troubleshooting, I did purchase a new replacement cluster back when VW clearanced them out.
Back then, it needed to be coded to install and we just didn't have an immediate need to do that.

I drove back home (Cincinnati, OH area) and am now making my next plan of attack..

Called my local VW dealer and spoke with the service tech (who was very helpful for a phone conversation).
I was wondering if the RFID chips in keys ever go "bad".
Tech said yes but in his experience, they are either good or bad. No in between's.
To me, that may rule out the RFID chip. This car's immobilzer not starting issue has come and gone a couple times in the past month.

Long story short, the only key with transponder we have is the one we are using (it has worked fine for the past few years).
We do have another key blank that will turn the switch but it's RFID chip has not been coded to the car.

Took some pics of the VCDS screens during the scan and coped the VCDS scan below.

Regards, Ken

Dflaplu.jpg

XgIgsBm.jpg

vTmFDFU.jpg

Edited copy of VCDS scan. Removed non-related items.

Code:
Friday,01,September,2017,15:08:44:32461
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.1.3.0 (x64)
Data version: 20170203 DS267.2
Ross-Tech: Home

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   License Plate: CASE090117
Mileage: 225610km-140187mi   Repair Order:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chassis Type: 3B (3B - VW Passat B5 (1997 > 2005))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 35 36 37 46 47 55 56 57 58 75 76 77

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   Mileage: 225610km-140187miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine        Labels: 078-907-551-ATQ.lbl
   Part No: 3B0 907 551 BS
   Component: 2.8L V6/5V      G   0001
   Coding: 07501
   Shop #: WSC 00028
   VCID: 75EF2DEF4FBFFBE9CA-5102
   WVWRH63B21P131021     VWZ7Z0Y3218144

1 Fault Found:
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
            P1570 - 35-10 -  - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0001
Address 08: Auto HVAC        Labels: 3Bx-907-044.lbl
   Part No: 3B1 907 044 J
   Component: CLIMATRONIC B5GP    0002
   Coding: 17200
   VCID: 2851349BC88DD60181-5120

1 Fault Found:
01341 - Control Module in Instrument Panel On Comfort CAN (J285)
            79-00 - Please Check Fault Codes

Address 17: Instruments        Labels: 3B0-920-xx5-17.lbl
   Part No: 3B0 920 925 B
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V13
   Coding: 07235
   Shop #: WSC 00222
   VCID: 224526B3AEB13C51DF-5102

1 Fault Found:
01176 - Key
            07-00 - Signal too Low

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:52)--------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Welcome aboard.

I do not think doing anything with a PIN/SKC code is going to solve an intermittent immobilizer problem. Such problems are generally caused by the pickup coil starting to go bad, or a dogdy connection between the pickup coil and the immobilizer (which is in your instrument cluster), something in the instrument cluster itself starting to fail, or a dodgy connection between the instrument cluster and the ECU.

Like Boki said, it's always good to start with an Auto-Scan.

Beyond that, do you have more than one key for this car? If so, does the problem occur with both keys?

The next time the car doesn't start, have a look at Measuring Blocks 022 and 023 in your instrument cluster and tell us what you see there. For reference, see here.

-Uwe-

Uwe,
Should have expanded on the reason I thought I needed the SKC.
I thought that if, during troubleshooting, I somehow determined the instrument cluster was bad and I needed to install that new cluster I have, that I'd need that SKC code.
Also, after I get this figured out, I'd like to make an extra set or two of working keys.

Regards, Ken

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, in MVB 022.3 you have Key Condition OK: 0

That jibes with the "Key - Signal too Low" code in the cluster.

These are indicative of the immobilizer (in the cluster) having no communications with the transponder in the key. This could be due to a failed transponder, a bad pickup coil, or a bad cluster.

Without another key, it's difficult to narrow this down by process of elimination. Since you've already checked the resistance of the pickup coil and it's close to nominal, I'm guess that's not the problem. I also agree with the VW tech, that the transponder in the key is unlikely to work intermittently. I think that leaves the cluster (or the connections at the back of it) as the most likely culprit.

If you have a spare cluster already, I'd throw it in and see if it comes up "Key Condition OK: 1". It won't start the car because it won't be matched to the ECU or the key, but it would go a long way toward narrowing down the cause of the problem.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I drove back home (Cincinnati, OH area) and am now making my next plan of attack..
Hello Cincinnati neighbor!

It's a half height MFA LED display and has always faded to the point it's almost unreadable in warm weather.
Yeah, I think they all do that eventually. Really annoying.

This car's immobilzer not starting issue has come and gone a couple times in the past month.
Uwe has already given you better advice than I could on solving the actual Immo recognition issue. I'll only add one thing: I *think* you can start an Immo3 car while logged into address 17 with the SKC, whether or not the key is matched or the Immo transponder and pickup coil is working. Similar to the old Immo2 emergency start procedure, except using VCDS. That won't fix your problem, but if you've recovered the SKC, you might be able to work around the problem long enough to drive the car back to home base instead of towing it, should that become necessary.

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Kind of good news!
My son was waiting for a time he could leave school and drive the car home before attempting a start.
Today was the "lucky" day.
Car started just a little while ago.
He's obviously going to leave it run until he get's here. Should be home this evening.

Will be much easier for me to troubleshoot here at home. I'll have more time, all my tools, etc.

Thanks Uwe for the "Key Condition OK: 1" advise.

I'll probably need some help transferring info from the old cluster to the new.

I've already purchased a couple new complete keys (to include key blank, remote, and chip). They are supposed to have a new ID48 chip inside.

Regards, Ken

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Hello Cincinnati neighbor!
Yeah, I think they all do that eventually. Really annoying.
Uwe has already given you better advice than I could on solving the actual Immo recognition issue. I'll only add one thing: I *think* you can start an Immo3 car while logged into address 17 with the SKC, whether or not the key is matched or the Immo transponder and pickup coil is working. Similar to the old Immo2 emergency start procedure, except using VCDS. That won't fix your problem, but if you've recovered the SKC, you might be able to work around the problem long enough to drive the car back to home base instead of towing it, should that become necessary.

And a happy hello to you also. I'm just across the river in Taylor Mill.
Appreciate your advise on entering the code to get the car home.
Definitely would have tried that if I had to drive down and couldn't do the correct repairs while I was there.
Fortunately the car is on the way here now!

Regards, Ken

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Hi Uwe,
It's Ken with the 2001 V6 passat with the Immobilizer / Instrument cluster issue.
My son was able to start the car today and drove it home.
It's sitting in my driveway and still running from his drive home.
I though before I shut it off, and take the chance that it won't start again, are there any readings I should take with VCDS?

I've already taken quite a few, just don't want to miss any I might absolutely need.

I plan on doing the cluster swap and adding two more keys to the car tomorrow. I need to get another key blank cut.
For guidance, I'll follow the Ross Tech YouTube video's relating the key adaption and cluster swap.

Regards, Ken

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I can't think of any data that's worth looking at when the thing is working as it should, and we pretty much know what the problem is here; the immo in the cluster doesn't "see" the key when it won't start...

-Uwe-

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
I can't think of any data that's worth looking at when the thing is working as it should, and we pretty much know what the problem is here; the immo in the cluster doesn't "see" the key when it won't start...

-Uwe-

Got it, thanks. Just needed that bit of reassurance before I turn the key off.
Didn't want to come back tomorrow and wish I would have pulled some data that may be unavailable then.

Ken

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Ken,

Although this feedback is from an entirely different car and Immo type the electrical connectors to the cluster are the same type so we wanted to point out this recent update:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ecognizes-Keys&p=106398&viewfull=1#post106398

Your connectors in addition to the terminals may be perfectly fine but let us know if you need any further assistance. At that point the complete unedited Auto-Scan would be helpful. I'll move this to the Car Repair Support Sub-forum since you are Verified.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Anyone that uses CR125 Honda in their name is okay with me.........:D

CR500 rider myself.....yeah I'm a fat bastard and need that HP to lug my fat ass to wheelie.

You are so dam polite with your posts........ it is the yin in my yang for being an " asshole........."

Immo defeat in that old timer ..........offered just pay for freight & what you feel is fair PM me.

Send me keys with credentials and blanks I'll cut them for free too.

NostraJackass just answered your wish..........

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Anyone that uses CR125 Honda in their name is okay with me.........:D

CR500 rider myself.....yeah I'm a fat bastard and need that HP to lug my fat ass to wheelie.

You are so dam polite with your posts........ it is the yin in my yang for being an " asshole........."

Immo defeat in that old timer ..........offered just pay for freight & what you feel is fair PM me.

Send me keys with credentials and blanks I'll cut them for free too.

NostraJackass just answered your wish..........

Hi Jack,
Thanks so much for that offer. Much appreciated. I'll PM you about a couple keys.
It took a few days to get back at this project but she's up and running.

Regards, Ken

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Was able to spend some time on this project over the last few days.

Recap - 2001 Passat B5.5, Immobi III

Good news!! The new instrument cluster repaired the problem.
Retrieved the SKC from both new and old clusters with my new 401 tool. All other programming performed with VCDS.
Was able to code two transponder keys (used old transponder FOB and one new FOB).
Programmed both remotes - lock / unlock doors, etc.
Changed the mileage on new cluster from 0 km to 100,000 miles.
100,000 was a nice round number to start at. Will disclose the cluster/mileage (137k to 100k) change if/when we sell it if anyone here cares.
Changed the Engine ECM config from 00530 to 00501 to reflect 5 speed manual transmission and B class (Audi A4/VW Passat).

I followed the video instructions best I could doing the cluster swap.
I thought the mileage (and other parameters) were going to transfer from old cluster to new. They didn't.

I assume there are a few other parameters that need to be configured.
Specifically - V6 engine, Manual transmission, ABS type, etc.
Could use some help with that.
Researching how/where in VCDS to do that now.

Took it for a short drive and all is well. The new cluster with bright LED's in the MFA are nice.

My last VCDS scan shows that it's looking for the TCM. Again, it's a manual tranny.

Not sure if this makes any difference but the old and new clusters have slightly different part numbers.
When I bought the new cluster a while back, I remember entering my VIN to make sure I got the correct one.
The computer came up with 3B0 920 925BX. That's what I bought. The one I pulled out of the car did not have the "X" at the end - 3B0 920 925B.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Regards, Ken

Code:
Tuesday,19,September,2017,16:19:44:32461
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   License Plate: CASEY091917B
Mileage: 160930km-99997mi   Repair Order: 

Chassis Type: 3B (3B - VW Passat B5 (1997 > 2005))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 35 36 37 46 47 55 56 57 58 75 76 77

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   Mileage: 160930km-99997miles
   Shop #: WSC 00501  
   VCID: 75EF2DEF4FBFFBE9CA-5120

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 8E0-614-111-ASR.lbl
   Part No: 3B0 614 111 
   Component: ABS/ASR 5.3 FRONT   D00  
   Coding: 00032
   VCID: 53ABB377A18B85D904-5102

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
   Part No: 6Q0 909 605 C
   Component: 09 AIRBAG VW6  04   0004  
   Coding: 12345
   VCID: 3773E7E7153349F918-5102

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1J0-907-487-A.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 907 487 B
   Component: Lenkradelektronik   0002  
   Coding: 00008
   VCID: 3061DCFBF05D9EC159-51B2

No fault code found.

Part No: 3B0 920 925 BX
   Shop #: WSC 00000  
   VCID: 7AF53ED366A19491A7-50E6

1 Fault Found:
01315 - Transmission Control Module 
            49-00 - No Communications

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
   Part No: 6N0 909 901 
   Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001  
   Coding: 00006
   VCID: 70E11CFB30DDDEC119-50C8

1 Fault Found:
01315 - Transmission Control Module 
            49-00 - No Communications

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr        Labels: 3B1-959-760.lbl
   Part No: 3B1 959 760 D
   Component: Sitzverstellung     0101  
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   VCID: 2E5DC283BA6988314B-50E6

1 Fault Found:
01008 - Note; Emergency OFF Switch is Active! 
            000 -  - 

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 959 799 C
   Component: 09 Komfortgerát HLO 0001  
   Coding: 00258
   VCID: 3773E7E7153349F918-4ACE

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1C0959801
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.FS     0001  

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1C0959802A
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.BF     0001  

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1C0959811
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.HL     0001  

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1C0959812
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.HR     0001  

1 Fault Found:
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) 
            27-00 - Implausible Signal

Address 56: Radio        Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 035 180 B
   Component:  Radio DE2         0005  
   Coding: 04043
   Shop #: WSC 00128  
   VCID: 1E3D12439AC918B1FB-5196

No fault code found.

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:49)--------------------------

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The reason the miles didn't transfer is because you must not of paired the cluster from a 050 swap and pin login from a transfer in the engine controller.

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Thanks Jack,
That could very well be. To the best of my ability, I followed the instructions on this Ross Tech video. ECM and cluster swapping Immobilizer III
At about 1:50 in the video, it mentions channel 50. Not 100% but I'm pretty sure I followed this to a tee.
The video goes back and forth about what you might see when swapping a used cluster too. My cluster was new. May have gotten something confused with that.
Or I could have just gotten too excited when the flashing yellow light key went out and missed something.

Not really sure.

Time will tell but hopefully I just need to tweek a few settings to make this swap complete.
I took a bunch of pictures of the settings in the old cluster in case I ran into this type of issue.

Regards, Ken

CR125Honda

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73448
Went in to option 19 - CAN Gateway.
Selected coding.
Re-entered 00006 and clicked "do it".

Fault code is no longer showing up in Instruments - 17 or CAN Gateway -19.

Yay!

Checked all the "Coding" of the modules below. Pretty sure they lined up with what the car has installed.

Engine config - 07501 (North America, FWD with ASR, 5 speed manual, B class Audi A4 / VW Passat)
ABS - 00032 (Gas Engine 2.4-2.8, Manual transmission)
Steering Wheel - 00008 Audio and Cruise Control
Central Conv. 46 - Config was correct at 00258 (4 doors/4 electric windows)

Coding for the Instruments - 07235, HVAC = 17200, Can Gateway and Radio - 04043 Monsoon were correct also.

I'll repair the front door locking module soon.
Can anyone think of any other areas I need to check or need to be configured?

Regards, Ken

Code:
Wednesday,20,September,2017,03:05:29:32461
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   License Plate: CASEY092017A
Mileage: 160930km-99997mi   Repair Order: 

Chassis Type: 3B (01 - My Car)
Scan: 01 03 08 15 16 17 19 36 46 56

VIN: WVWRH63B21P131021   Mileage: 160930km-99997miles
   VCID: 75EF2DEF4FBFFBE9CA-5102

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 8E0-614-111-ASR.lbl
   Part No: 3B0 614 111 
   Component: ABS/ASR 5.3 FRONT   D00  
   Coding: 00032
   VCID: 53ABB377A18B85D904-5102

No fault code found.

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags        Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
   Part No: 6Q0 909 605 C
   Component: 09 AIRBAG VW6  04   0004  
   Coding: 12345
   VCID: 3773E7E7153349F918-50E6

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel        Labels: 1J0-907-487-A.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 907 487 B
   Component: Lenkradelektronik   0002  
   Coding: 00008
   VCID: 3061DCFBF05D9EC159-51B2

No fault code found.

Part No: 3B0 920 925 BX
   VCID: 7AF53ED366A19491A7-50E6

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway        Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
   Part No: 6N0 909 901 
   Component: Gateway K<->CAN    0001  
   Coding: 00006
   VCID: 70E11CFB30DDDEC119-50E6

No fault code found.

Address 36: Seat Mem. Drvr        Labels: 3B1-959-760.lbl
   Part No: 3B1 959 760 D
   Component: Sitzverstellung     0101  
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   VCID: 2E5DC283BA6988314B-50E6

1 Fault Found:
01008 - Note; Emergency OFF Switch is Active! 
            000 -  - 

Address 46: Central Conv.        Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
   Part No: 1C0 959 799 C
   Component: 09 Komfortgerát HLO 0001  
   Coding: 00258
   VCID: 3773E7E7153349F918-4ACE

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1C0959801
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.FS     0001  

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1C0959802A
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.BF     0001  

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1C0959811
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.HL     0001  

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1C0959812
   Component: 09 Tõrsteuer.HR     0001  

2 Faults Found:
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) 
            27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00912 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Left (E40) 
            29-00 - Short to Ground

Address 56: Radio        Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.lbl
   Part No: 1J0 035 180 B
   Component:  Radio DE2         0005  
   Coding: 04043
   Shop #: WSC 00128  
   VCID: 1E3D12439AC918B1FB-5196

No fault code found.

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 01:24)--------------------------

Back