Hurricane Harvey slams into Texas

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Wow - been reading about what's happening up there in Texas - hope you guys are OK!

twitter said:
At the request of the Governor of Texas, I have signed the Disaster Proclamation, which unleashes the full force of government help!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 26, 2017

hmm....... not particularly directed to the Donald, but it's a sad fact that politicians get much more mileage from making these sorts of decisions (after the disaster) than investing in actual infrastructure (before the disaster occurs) that mitigates the effects of these events!!

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
"Up there in Texas" is not a phrase we're used to. :)

I'm not sure what could be done to "mitigate" 1.3 meters of rainfall in an area that's nearly flat to begin with.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
hmm....... not particularly directed to the Donald, but it's a sad fact that politicians get much more mileage from making these sorts of decisions (after the disaster) than investing in actual infrastructure (before the disaster occurs) that mitigates the effects of these events!!

Don

Come on Don how the fuck is the dude supposed to have infrastructure taken care of in first year and FYI that's all the man has talked about along with border shit from day one.

I can tell you...... air lifts are going round the clock out of SWF here & with aid being sent south, so on this one...... I think you need to eat shit on being way wrong!

When it was perceived by markets that Hillary was going to win, the Dow FUT went to the tune of down 750-1000K + went positive after it was revealed that everyone was dead wrong.

Want to say the guy has a garbage mouth or trash talks women fine....... so do most men & women coffee clutches or sewing circles are far more graphic with their dildo alleged toy parties.

[video]https://s26.postimg.org/cn18fcfzt/dow_2017_YTD.png[/video]

dow_2017_YTD.png

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
As they say down there...

b4e56e79cdad41f3cc8c2a01793c1ef4.jpg

I can't find it now, but there was an Internet article claiming that the people of the Houston area brought this upon themselves, by not having proper urban planning or building codes in place. I doubt that *any* building code could help 125+ cm of rain (remember, I went metric) soak into the ground.

Anyway, that storm is about the same distance as it is from Melbourne to New Zealand away from me, and the RT folks are only ~150 km closer to it than I am. I suspect that we may be seeing rain showers from the remnants of that storm up here just in time to ruin our Labor Day holiday weekend, but they are only calling for 1.3 - 2.5 cm of rain from it in our latest long-range hydrology forecast.....

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Holy crap! 125+cm of rain... I live in "sub-tropical" Whangarei (sometimes we have rain, hail, glaring sun and hot sticky humidity all in one afternoon at different times), and our ANNUAL rainfall is "only" 150cm.

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up imperial measurements! :) The final tally at the hardest-hit location was 131.78 cm, or 51.88 inches for those living in the backwards part of the world where they still measure things based on some long-dead king's shoe size.

Oh, and for those who believe the "fake news" about the border patrol cracking down, The Weather Channel had a reporter flying along in a border patrol Blackhawk helicopter that was actively involved with the rescue efforts by helping to pluck survivors off of their roofs. They also are flying a border patrol AWACS-type plane, mapping the disaster area to help coordinate everyone's responses.....

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up imperial measurements! :) The final tally at the hardest-hit location was 131.78 cm, or 51.88 inches for those living in the backwards part of the world where they still measure things based on some long-dead king's shoe size.
What did I say some posts up?

1.3 meters of rainfall

:D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Holy crap! 125+cm of rain... I live in "sub-tropical" Whangarei (sometimes we have rain, hail, glaring sun and hot sticky humidity all in one afternoon at different times), and our ANNUAL rainfall is "only" 150cm.
Yup. They got a full year's worth of rain in 3-4 days... Needless to day, that presents a bit of a problem when it comes to drainage.

Ademaxx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=146334
125+cm's of rain? Sounds like a normal summer's day here in Wales UK :D

All jokes aside, a terrible natural disaster that mother nature has unleashed.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I guess hypothetically speaking ......... if God is in control of this right & as most people down there would believe, what did the people of Texas do to get this, was it Gods will?

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I guess hypothetically speaking ......... if God is in control of this right & as most people down there would believe, what did the people of Texas do to get this, was it Gods will?

A few weeks after 9/11, the PBS TV station in NYC ran a locally-produced program with representative clergy from the various mainstream superstitions. The show's topic was asking why god let 9/11 happen and kill all of those innocent people. Only one of their explanations made sense in biblical contexts, and it came from the only Rabbi on the show. He said that man was thrown out of the Garden of Eden, and as a result we have taken our destiny into our own hands. Long story short, if god doesn't answer your prayers to win the lottery, the reason is because that bitch Eve ate the apple! :D

As for Texas, I take the near-biblical rainfall as a message from god to Donald Trump to not forget drain holes at the base of his border wall. :p Oh, and remember the Alamo...it'll make a nice swimming pool..... :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
What did I say some posts up (1.3 meters)?

Don't make me have to break out the significant figures rules (the memory of which I am intentionally repressing), since it will probably make me have to revise my metric figure above from 131.78 cm to 131.8 cm. :)

If memory serves me correctly, the official global standard for tipping bucket rain gauges is 0.1 mm resolution.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Our National Weather Service never ceases to disappoint. Their current specs for ASOS rain buckets (Automated Surface Observation System) as found at many airports is 0.01 inch resolution:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/asos/tipbuck.htm

Guess that explains why my American-designed rain gauge has a published 0.25 mm resolution (0.01"), and not the world's 0.1 mm resolution.....

Back