Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS Beta 14.8.0

• New ODX data version -- Support for latest car models
  • Substantially improved WiFi interface detection -- Thanks to JYoung for his input!
  • Displays IP address when connected via USB if HEX-NET is connected to a netork in infrastructure mode.
  • Improved recovery in cases of HEX-NET disconnection
  • Improved handling of very large UDS data blocks with HEX-NET interface
  • Includes and requires version 1.93 fimrware for older HEX+CAN interfaces, which which fixes an interface crash introduced in the previous version on some K-line modules (primarily on B7 A4s)
  • Fix a hang that sometimes ocurred while querying freeze frame data
    due to HEX-NET being too fast for timers in VCDS.
  • Replaced "N/A" in multi-result OBD2 formulas with "---" greatly improving readibility
  • UDS adaptation now handles single and multi byte hex values that are part of a larger block
  • 60+ new or improved label files in data version 20140822

-Uwe-

Speedparts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=179205
VCDS Beta 14.8.0

• New ODX data version -- Support for latest car models
  • Substantially improved WiFi interface detection -- Thanks to JYoung for his input!
  • Displays IP address when connected via USB if HEX-NET is connected to a netork in infrastructure mode.
  • Improved recovery in cases of HEX-NET disconnection
  • Improved handling of very large UDS data blocks with HEX-NET interface
  • Includes and requires version 1.93 fimrware for older HEX+CAN interfaces, which which fixes an interface crash introduced in the previous version on some K-line modules (primarily on B7 A4s)
  • Fix a hang that sometimes ocurred while querying freeze frame data
    due to HEX-NET being too fast for timers in VCDS.
  • Replaced "N/A" in multi-result OBD2 formulas with "---" greatly improving readibility
  • UDS adaptation now handles single and multi byte hex values that are part of a larger block
  • 60+ new or improved label files in data version 20140822

-Uwe-

Hello there !

How can I upgrade my firmware ? I cant find anywhere what firmware I have but didnt see any executable firmware upgrade program :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have a HEX-CAN interface.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With a HEX+CAN interface, you download Beta 14.8.0 and it will upgrade the interface firmware for you. In fact, it will insist on doing so before it will let you use the interface.

-Uwe-

Speedparts

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=179205
With a HEX+CAN interface, you download Beta 14.8.0 and it will upgrade the interface firmware for you. In fact, it will insist on doing so before it will let you use the interface.

-Uwe-

yes jut did today .I didnt realise I have to connect to a car first :) thanks

hcubed

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208928

-Uwe-

I see this but the update just errors out with Unable to update. Suggestions? Any log file to go and gleen more info from?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I see this but the update just errors out with Unable to update. Suggestions? Any log file to go and gleen more info from?
You might want to start a separate thread for that. In the meantime, make sure it's connected to a car at the time (for power) at the time you're trying to update it, and if you're still having trouble, make sure you have the complete exact wording of the error message.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of computer are you using? Problems with HEX+CAN updates are rare, and when they occur, it's almost always something wonky with the the computer being used.

-Uwe-

hcubed

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208928
What kind of computer are you using? Problems with HEX+CAN updates are rare, and when they occur, it's almost always something wonky with the the computer being used.

-Uwe-

13" Macbook Pro running Virtualbox (4.3.14) with WinXP inside the VM.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
13" Macbook Pro running Virtualbox (4.3.14) with WinXP inside the VM.
Can you say, "Unsupported"?

Please try updating the firmware using computer that runs Windows natively, not in a VM.

-Uwe-

hcubed

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208928
Can you say, "Unsupported"?

Please try updating the firmware using computer that runs Windows natively, not in a VM.

-Uwe-

I totally get the unsupported nature of this and will most likely look to borrow a windows laptop to update the firmware. I was just curious if there was any log files that had a little bit more info besides the unable to update message.

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, there's no logging or debugging code for the update process.

-Uwe-

kappax12

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=216535
I totally get the unsupported nature of this and will most likely look to borrow a windows laptop to update the firmware. I was just curious if there was any log files that had a little bit more info besides the unable to update message.

Thanks.

Macbook Air here; I'm running Windows 8 x64 via VMware Fusion, updated no problem.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS-Beta 14.8.1

• Added delay after session close for Phaeton 07/37 for HEX-NET interfaces
  • New Firmware version 1.94 for non-CAN HEX-COM, HEX-USB and KII-USB interfaces
  • New Label File data version 20140905.

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
I downloaded the current VCDS Beta 14.8.1 on the 13th and I installed it. The next day I plugged it in and went to Options\Test and it said I need to update the version, I clicked on update. It said current version 9.2 update 9.3.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I downloaded the current VCDS Beta 14.8.1 on the 13th and I installed it. The next day I plugged it in and went to Options\Test and it said I need to update the version, I clicked on update. It said current version 9.2 update 9.3.
If you have a HEX-USB+CAN interface, its internal firmware would have been upgraded from 1.92 to 1.93 at that point. Is that perhaps what you saw? That update was packaged with Beta 14.8.0. Are you having any actual problems with it?

Jason

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Yes I have the HEX-USB+CAN interface.

It definitely said 9.2 then 9.3 after the update.

I've installed all Beta versions since they came out and that the first time I've seen that message. No I'm having no problems with standard VCDS Release 12.12.3 or VCDS Beta 14.8.1 I just wondered why I saw that message.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I've installed all Beta versions since they came out and that the first time I've seen that message.

My interfaces have updated several times in the past, and I don't recall exactly how, but the message seemed to be slightly different previously.
I could swear one updated without being attached to the vehicle but it's been so long I don't remember.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I've installed all Beta versions since they came out and that the first time I've seen that message. No I'm having no problems with standard VCDS Release 12.12.3 or VCDS Beta 14.8.1 I just wondered why I saw that message.
The firmware update is normal and expected if it's the first time you've used the interface on VCDS versions 14.8.0 or newer. The update is packaged with the VCDS Desktop installer. Firmware updates for HEX-USB+CAN are pretty rare... I honestly can't remember the last time VCDS prompted me to do so.

I can't really explain that. I feel like I would have spotted such an error(*) when I went through the upgrade, and I don't remember a problem. I don't believe there's any way to roll back the upgrade and try it again, so I don't have any way to replicate your experience. Perhaps the Ross-Tech folks can comment when they get home.

Jason

(*) I say this as the official prize-winner for most pedantic bug report ever filed, for a typo in the installer license text

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes I have the HEX-USB+CAN interface.

I would be rather surprised if that's really what it showed. As Jason already stated, the version numbers in question are 1.92 and 1.93.

-Uwe-

Back