Steering assist Characteristic Curve, what does do/is?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The way I understand it is that it's basically a "map" that determines how much "boost" the electronic steering applies under what circumstances.

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
If you want to learn more about this subject, have a look at the VW Self-Study Program number 399 -Electromechanical Steering with Parallel-axis Drive (Design and Function) - see pg.9

"The steering assistance is regulated according to speed using a map in the permanent program
memory of the control unit. The map is not programmed into the control unit until the final phase
of vehicle production at the factory due to the vehicle weight and equipment."
- - VW Self-Study Program number 399 - pg.9

- There is more information about 'The electromechanical power steering' and the 'Map and characteristic curves.' in the SSP-399 - Best part is that there are pictures ;)

Hope this helps too,

drpeter

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Personally I like forcing the module into 1972 Chevelle Malibu single finger steering.

Really nice when pushing downed cars in parking lot to steer from outside car to bay for fixing.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Te SSP helped alot.
The reason i got thinking was i read a article about Adaptive suspension emulator. So basically changes steering and engine characteristics, but not the suspension(obviously).
There was mentioned that the characteristics need to be changed. Does it also need to be changed if lane assist is retrofitted?