Reactions: Uwe

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
pz8jrTP.jpg

Very interested in your feedback on this car as you learn it more; it looks pretty good in many ways though I was troubled by not a few concerns that some screens were seriously laggy. Software update might be the ticket

If you do road trip it, please report back on your Electrify America experience as well. I have zero concerns road tripping my Model 3 but I would like to have other EV options and hope that network will mature nicely to provide other options

Also nice color! :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
This guy's channel is full of good content, they tore down various Tesla stuff down to individual nuts and bolts, he's starting on an ID.4:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
he's starting on an ID.4:
His reaction to the trunk was funny. Paraphrasing here: Roomy. Oh, look, there's more under here. An even more under that. But why did they bother with these covers?

The covers can easily be removed if you want, Sandy!

-Uwe-

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^^ Nuclear Powered Volkswagen FTW! :thumbs: ^^^^

I prefer to think of it as the ultimate flex-fuel vehicle, as it can also be powered by water falling over a cliff, wind, solar, coal, natural gas, cow farts, wood, and probably even a Mr. Fusion on the roof in the not-so-distant future..... :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I should probably throw in a driveway update here, since I haven't been around in a while.

Two years ago, my wife decided to buy one of the first Kia Niro BEVs to hit our shores. Price and range wise, it is equivalent to a Tesla Model 3. It has lots of interior space, and the build quality shows that Korea's nabbing of German auto engineers is paying off nicely.

My Audi TT (now 21 years old) is back in the enclosed race car hauler, not having been driven in two years now.

The Mighty Dodge is still running strong, and there's nothing other than bad fuel that can kill a Cummins with a 6-speed manual.

Since marriage is a give-and-take, my wife gave me permission to buy a new car when she got hers. I went with what could be classified as a halo car, made in Europe, 100% carbon fiber chassis/tub, around 2,600 pounds, RWD, and of course mid-engine. Oh, and I paid $12.5K for it with only 14K on the odometer...and over a year of the factory warranty remaining:

20190609203456-9d581691.jpg

Yes, it's a BEV and doesn't have the scooter engine (or even a MIL light), and it lowered my 23 mile round-trip daily commute from $3.20 in diesel or $3.50 in super unleaded down to $0.57 in recycled electrons. Gotta love owning a Bavarian Golf Cart..... :D

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
I am still waiting for someone to design a decent large plug in hybrid to the following specs to suit real world Australian usage

i.e.
1. Touareg sized SUV with two approx 100kw motors front and rear so enough power, space and tow capability for a road trip with my race car on a trailer or caravan behind, like my current Touareg V8 TDI or previous Landcruisers.
2. Battery pack for 150 km in a day without recharging to enable daily commute so no fuel use in 95% of trips and overnight recharging at home.
3. Compact extremely high efficiency, light weight, small, constant speed hi boost turbo diesel gen set with around 75Kw output ( a 3 cylinder 1500cc diesel engine genset should do this with a weight less than 100 kg) to give infinite highway cruising and battery top up range so batteries available for hill climbing and overtaking boost and eliminate any range anxiety and excessive reliance on external charging availability and time wasted during 2000 km in 3 days road trips.

cheers
Rohan

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
diesel gen set with around 75Kw output ( a 3 cylinder 1500cc diesel engine genset should do this with a weight less than 100 kg)
My gut says your weight target for this is unrealistic.

-Uwe-

symb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=354278
True enough; sadly the networks not Tesla are sometimes pathetic

Tesla on the other hand is good and getting better. I know it's not a well shared feeling here :) but I've done significant road trips in my Model 3 and it's been great.
Yay! I greet y'all from Finland, with this fresh Fremont made beauty. Absolutely fantastic car, and now my daily drive. It has just so much more bang for the buck than the rivals here in Finland.

Still got plenty of vags around to tinker with, though. And the B8 passat is now my wife's daily drive.

tesla.jpg

Do I get banned for posting a photo of this abomination here? :D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do I get banned for posting a photo of this abomination here?
No. Most of us are big SpaceX fans and have come to understand that Tesla's stock valuation helps fund all those Starship prototypes. :cool:

-Uwe-

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
My gut says your weight target for this is unrealistic.

-Uwe-
Lotus developed a 3 cylinder supercharged petrol engine for this sort of service 10 years ago that weighs in at 56kg complete. That leaves 44Kg for the close coupled generator. A Tesla motor is supposed to be around 35kg for over 250 Kw.

A bigger 1.5 litre turbo diesel and generator with around 75kw built on these principles should be able to achieve around 100kg for the combined unit. But even if its 150kg that not significant in a 2200kg series hybrid vehicle.

Another example for a 30kW unit
"MAHLE Powertrain has developed a production feasible solution based on the range extended electric vehicle (REEV) philosophy. Having successfully developed its own Compact Range Extender Engine in-house, a fully functional demonstrator vehicle has now been built to provide convincing proof of this approach. Starting from a clean-sheet, the MAHLE Range Extender has been designed to be light (65 kg including generator) and compact"

The Chinese Li Xiang One is pretty close to my target specification - not sold in Australia unfortunately

cheers
Rohan

Last edited:

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Since I know charging curves are all the rage these days, I pulled my single longest supercharge just for laughs:

f0Ogc2T.png

This was 76 mins - from 11% -> 100% (I would never really do this in practice.... it tails off too much at the end. We were parked and shopping so I just let it charge...)

Max volts: 403
Max amps: 330
Max kW: 118

This was an older V2 supercharger - I haven't had a low SoC on a hot ride to test out a v3 (I don't supercharge much)

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Here's my ID.4's 46 minute 10%->90% curve for comparison:

sXhZgzc.png

Max volts: 401
Max amps: 346