EV Thread

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
This seems to be the motor assembly for the upcoming all electric Audi e-tron quattro:
Yummy!

It's interesting to me that nobody is going with one motor per wheel designs, at least not that I've seen. I would think that would let you get rid of some differential/geartrain mass, and give you super-fine instantaneous control of torque at each corner, including torque vectoring for cornering, plus counter-torque for ABS/ESP type purposes, as well as braking and regeneration. There must be a big cost or mass win with one big motor instead of two small ones at each axle.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's interesting to me that nobody is going with one motor per wheel designs, at least not that I've seen. I would think that would let you get rid of some differential/geartrain mass, and give you super-fine instantaneous control of torque at each corner, including torque vectoring for cornering, plus counter-torque for ABS/ESP type purposes, as well as braking and regeneration. There must be a big cost or mass win with one big motor instead of two small ones at each axle.
Yeah, this has puzzled me too. One motor per wheel, while still keeping the motor inboard so as to minimize un-sprung mass, would seem to offer the most flexibility and control.

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Indeed.

No traditional friction braking is ballsy, but with the right design (and a shitload of redundancy) I don't see why you couldn't go there. That would save mass and save cost by doing braking with the powertrain components you already have onboard, and improve handling by dramatically slashing unsprung weight at the same time. Main problem would probably be simulation of traditional friction braking "feel", but we're already working on that with brake-by-wire systems.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...-YyhmILZ3AIVTzhPCh2gcwTvEAEYASAAEgKzHfD_BwE#/

Someone must have had fond memories of the Rupp scrambler....

maxresdefault.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I had a copy of it... forget the name.... I had a much faster bike that some friends had built and abandoned. I bought for $10 and put it back together.. Used to ride on an abandoned railroad bed - rails were gone... but could run from just West of Wind Gap, PA to Wilkesbarre on that line if we wanted... My Uncles made that ride several times on bicycles but we never tried it on the mini-bikes..

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
The author seems unfamiliar with how current EVs work. :popcorn:

Regenerating when you have excess kinetic energy just makes sense. I drive my A3 e-tron in Manual model almost all the time, which applies maximum regen and allows one pedal driving for the most part. Nothing in life is free though, so any energy you recover coming down a hill is less than what you spent going up. Better to blast a hole through the mountain and maintain a constant speed.

I have driven on Pike's Peak in 2 different cars, both rentals. A 2005? ish Pontiac G6 that was dreadful. It had a transmission selector that seemed unable to pick any suitable gear for engine braking on the descent. At the halfway point, the guy with the IR thermometer waved me into the gift shop parking lot to cool down, which is probably the real purpose. The next trip I had a rental 2017 Audi A4 7speed DSG from Silvercar which was AWESOME. It allowed me to use the flappy paddles to choose exactly the right gear to hold and I barely needed to use the brakes.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
not really sure the point of the exercise, pretty much every EV has some sort of regenerative power.
I guess maybe just the fact that they recharged the battery with a whole mountains worth of regen?
anyway still somewhat interesting @ https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...-recuperation-system-drives-its-electric-suv/
By the end of our journey down the mountain, we had pumped roughly 11kWh back into the battery.
Now the question is: How much would have been pulled from the battery had they driven it UP the mountain at comparable speeds? ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
11+x kW :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
This video describes the same event as the article but in a much more entertaining format:

Still, nothing new about the concept of regen.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Now the question is: How much would have been pulled from the battery had they driven it UP the mountain at comparable speeds? ;)

The better question is, what is the percentages and ratio of battery utilized going up, versus battery regenerated going down.

the video indicated about 7% regenerated going down (62% to 69%).

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Why do I think these cars started out at nearly 100% at the bottom of the mountain and used ~38% to get up there? :D
So 38% used to get up the climb, but only 7% added coming down - not similar in any way, doesn't say a lot for the current implementation of regen IMHO.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Just from logging around town, I can see a much higher outflow from the battery under hard acceleration than I can see inflow under hard braking. Here's a random graph showing about 275 A peak flowing out of the battery while only about 75 A peak flowing back in:

QHJIPAu.jpg

I'm not sure how much of that is physical/chemical limitation and how much is just programming. I watched a video of a Tesla on a race track and the driver deliberately avoided regeneration so as to not overheat the batteries. I thought that was interesting and counter intuitive to the expected racetrack concerns (running out of juice).

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
Yesterday I picked up my Tesla Model 3. It was 631 days from when I put down a deposit to when it was delivered. I got:

• Blue
  • 18" Aero wheels
  • Premium Upgrade Package (PUP)
  • Enhanced Auto Pilot
  • Long Range (310 mile) battery

The purchasing process is very different from normal. To put it in perspective, 2 weeks earlier we leased a new CR-V for my wife, so I've got traditional dealers fresh on the mind. (and our Honda experience was one of the better ones - having been through Toyota, Subaru, VW, etc....)

Here's how it went -

1. Reservation placed: November 2016
  2. Invited to configure / pick options: June 27th 2018
  3. Credit app filled out online: Jul 27th
  4. Get assigned delivery specialized: Jul 27th
  5. Use phone app to take pics of trade-in - answer a few questions: Jul 30th
  6. Get trade offer: Jul 30th (Mid KBB trade-in value)
  7. Get appointment for delivery: Jul 30th (for date of 8/9)

Showing up at the Service Center a few minutes early, someone was outside detailing the car. I had 15 mins or so to look at it before my appointment, and I went over it (exterior) in detail. No issues! I had the checklist from the Teslamotors subreddit. I DID check the VIN before spending any time on it!

rKOfFQnl.jpg

Went inside, handed over title / reg for Prius, insurance and DL for copies, and explored a Model S and X for a few mins. A tech came over, introduced himself, and offered to give me the tour of the car. He started by asking what I knew, if I'd watched the videos, etc. He asked how in-depth to go, I told him to keep it light. I learned a few things, and actually being hands-on with it was obviously different vs just reading about it or watching other videos.

p9LTmXJl.jpg

(first time in the car!)

We spent about 20 minutes messing with settings, pairing my phone, going over the menus. We reviewed charging, the spare keys, how to open and close the frunk, using the app, and a bunch of other stuff. Enabled auto-lowering mirrors for reverse (disabled by default?!) and a few other small tweaks that I'd like.

Went back inside, signed 5 or 6 papers? Most of it was related to them taking the Prius - I think I only signed 2 that were related to the new car. Shook hands, got a folder with my temp reg and the rest of the stuff, and that was it. Then I went for a drive!

huAs42Fl.jpg

K4QoPH2l.jpg

wUaTEaUl.jpg

(spare 'key' card)

ZJOXqSCl.jpg

(drove over to work, used a paid charger. it's 25 cents an hour! cheaper than home charging....)

3DV77iFl.jpg

(got my first software update notice)

zjY63YLl.jpg

(built in maps use Google, have realtime traffic and satellite views)

SybWlxHl.jpg

(first time other cars appeared on screen - it takes a few miles to calibrate)

4IrgqhWl.jpg

(shows distance in inches to car in front of me!)

By5saLIl.jpg

(you can turn on the rear camera at any time and speed and watch it)

wJWr3R0l.jpg

(playing with a ghetto home charger solution)

JJokF6Vl.jpg

(some things you can do in the app)

L455cMll.jpg

(turning on A/C remotely)

d6a7hoRl.jpg

(big glass roof!)

More in second post...

passim

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=4135
JHf5Mg2l.jpg

(free lifetime LTE - using their streaming service and it works great)

qxHuhOFl.jpg

(LED everything - DRL, lows, highs, fogs, etc)

9I2DaIZl.jpg

(subtle trunk curve)

Q03bXINl.jpg

(folding mirrors - when you walk away, car powers down, locks, arms, and folds mirrors)

5U6oIhrl.jpg

(door handles that confuse everyone)

Fr7phFSl.jpg

(that interior!)

- Charger detail!

Back