Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
This is getting into obsessively nerdy category but I found this interesting:

This seems to be all about the different electricity rates throughout the day, which we do not have here for some reason.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^ "Eventually it will be absolutely possbile, and other people are already doing it [...] to be able to run their house completely from their car."

I find that statement highly misleading. You'll be able to use your EV and an auxiliary battery, but an EV doesn't generate electricity, so you can't "run your house completely from it".

The other question is, do you really want to do that? Current Li-ion batteries do degrade as they are cycled. Do you really want to put more cycles than necessary on you EV's battery? I'd want to do a cost/benefit analysis on that before I'd make my EV's battery available to help balance supply and demand on the grid.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I find that statement highly misleading. You'll be able to use your EV and an auxiliary battery, but an EV doesn't generate electricity, so you can't "run your house completely from it".

The other question is, do you really want to do that? Current Li-ion batteries do degrade as they are cycled. Do you really want to put more cycles than necessary on you EV's battery? I'd want to do a cost/benefit analysis on that before I'd make my EV's battery available to help balance supply and demand on the grid.

-Uwe-

What happens if it lights up the whole house, you know on fire during exothermic runaway & simply when AC or refrigerator compressor turn on? :popcorn:

Like this........?

http://joannenova.com.au/2019/04/hu...-to-the-ground-just-an-e-bike-battery-mishap/

Let's install new doors too okay? ...... :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-doors-model-s-trial-elon-musk-a9169691.html

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Tesla’s reportedly shipped early Model S cars with leaky battery packs

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21301966/tesla-model-s-battery-pack-leaks-fires-coolant

Which could lead to fires!~?

PointlessFakeFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

msjulie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1672
The real free ride ends when our tax dollars, to the tune of (ouch hurts my head) end and the cost to the environment is born by fossil fuel users. There's no logical way gasoline can be essentially the same price now as it was in the 1980s w/o subsidy

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
There's no logical way gasoline can be essentially the same price now as it was in the 1980s w/o subsidy
It's just supply & demand in operation.

The oil producers can't agree who should cut back production despite the demand for oil dropping hugely due to Covid-19 lockdowns and travel restrictions - hence the oil price crashes and gasoline price drops to 1980's levels. No subsidy needed.

Back