Worldwide forum images missing

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Uwe, it feels to me like there is a huge difference to what is being discussed here and the case you partially quoted. In the case you referenced, the issue were thumbnails of legal material. Feel free to correct me, what we are talking about here are full-size inline/embedded images of illegal material - at least that was what you brought up as being your main concern for not self-hosting files. So from my understanding...

Case A: Somebody makes photo and puts it on their website for free. Embedding a thumbnail, would be legal based on your reference above. Embedding a full size image, may be legal as well.

Case B: Somebody makes photo and sells that through private channels or uses it for a commercial purposes w/o making it available to the public for free. Any unauthorized copy, and along that embedding any of those unauthorized copies/photos, would be illegal.

...the situation (between self hosting and embedding illegal content) is practically the same in our specific use-case. I also fail to see your point regarding the First Amendment, in fact the page you linked states that according to 'Cohen v. Cowles Media Co.' ("...no special immunity from laws that apply to others, including those—such as copyright law...") the freedom of speech and press does not automatically make less-liable in terms of copyright issues. Maybe I fail to see/understand your references to the full extent, if so please do help me understand where I am missing the point.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sebastian,

I really don't feel like playing lawyer. Let's just leave it at: In the US, it is considerably more difficult (maybe bordering on impossible) to file a copyright infringement claim against someone who isn't actually hosting the content in question. Hence, I prefer not to host content if I can avoid it.

-Uwe-

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I found this email from PB about a month before their policy change, while cleaning my inbox last night. Theories?????

Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 4:44 PM
Subject: A friendly security and backup reminder from Photobucket

A friendly security and backup reminder from Photobucket

Dear Valued Photobucket User,

This is an important message from Photobucket.com

At Photobucket we take your security, privacy and photos very seriously. As part of our continuing efforts to make Photobucket more secure for you and your photos, we are asking all of our users to update their password and verify their email addresses.
Security: Updating your password is as simple as logging into your account, going into your settings and updating your password and double checking your email address is correct!

Backup: Photobucket Best Practices also suggests that you keep an extra backup of your most precious memories stored locally or on an external hard drive. You wouldn't want to lose the memories of your child's first steps any more than your birth certificate or passport.

Photobucket | For the love of photos.

To manage your notification settings, click here.
If you no longer wish to receive emails from Photobucket, simply unsubscribe.
Photobucket respects your privacy. For our complete privacy policy, please click here

Ⓒ 2017 Photobucket.com

All rights reserved. PO Box 13003, Denver, CO 80201

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
I had to stop using Photobucket last fall as it almost ground to a halt and became to slow to use. I can live with slowness, to a degree, but it was actually unusable. For the few pictures I do upload/post online, I've been using Postimg.org and it has been working OK.

On the topic of copyright, I had a guy (photographer in California, I believe) ask me to remove a photo I was using as a profile pic on a forum like this a few years ago. Funny, I hadn't given it much thought before that...just grab a picture off the web...same as the dog I use here, resize for avatar use, and re-use it. Had been doing it since the beginning of the internet.

I have a love hate relationship with the internet, but the more things march forward, the things I like keep getting whittled away.

Reactions: Uwe
Back