Search results

1. alvocado

Bank 2 all cylinder misfires, cam sensor faults

Good news - clearing through the gateway worked and no new engine faults. I dare say it but I think the A6 is back on the road. Much gratitude and appreciation to all of you who helped along the way, @EuroX and @stefdds in particular. I nearly flat bedded the car on more than one occasion while...
  2. alvocado

Just fired up the car and it is running well. I don't feel any misfires, idle is smooth and it ran fine on a test drive. The only issue is a persistent CEL on the dash. I've cleared the DTCs but the scan continues to show the engine misfires that were presenting when the cam adjusters were...
  3. alvocado

Success! Located the bolt with a borescope sitting on top of the lower chain just in front of the sprocket. Snagged it with a long magnetic pickup on the first try using the scope to guide the magnet in. Need to get new cam adjuster bolts so I should have everything buttoned up on Tuesday to...
  4. alvocado

I'm traveling this week but have ordered up a few magnetic pickups and located a borescope in the Autozone loaner tool inventory. Next Sunday is the day. Will keep everyone posted.
  5. alvocado

This doesn't begin to reflect how I actually reacted. I was using a magnet on the socket, had a shop cloth stuffed in the gaps, and the bolt snuck by. I found myself reflecting on the 1978 Wide World of Sports intro from my youth and feeling like skier Vinko Bogataj.
  6. alvocado

The bolt fell from the hole above the tensioner piston and it looks like the path would take it to one of the areas where the red circles are noted on the photo. That would bind the crank as the bolt rotates into the chain and sprocket. I don't see any way to access that area from above unless...
  7. alvocado

That was my second thought. I'll have to get creative with a magnet as there's little clearance and the bolt is not visible.
  8. alvocado

So close then....I dropped the last timing chain tensioner bolt into the back of the engine. I tried to snag it with a magnetic pickup but couldn't see it or get very far into the space. I finished installing the tensioner and adjusters and tried to rotate the engine to see if the bolt cleared...
  9. alvocado

You guys nailed it!! The adjusters are indeed reversed. This is so frustrating but I can see how I made the mistake. I'll swap them this evening provided the dealer has bolts in stock. As mentioned, the cams appear to be in perfect time so fingers crossed everything syncs up once the adjusters...
  10. alvocado

Sorry for the slow reply: I've been on the road for work and am just now catching up since my last post. For some reason, I stopped receiving email notifications of posts and missed some great input. My understanding is the intake and exhaust cams are not mirror images based on how I...
  11. alvocado

Here's the cam adjuster bolt tightening procedure that was followed: ¤ Both camshaft adjusters must be able to still be rotated on camshaft and must not tip. Remove Locking Pin (T40071). Set the Counter-Holder (T10172) with Pin (T10172/2) in place on the camshaft adjuster of the left...
  12. alvocado

Here's another pic of the cam adjuster spring retainer, still a bit blurry as the iphone is too close to focus but it does not look bent. The timing cover fasteners are torx T30 and are easy to round if the torx socket is not kept perpendicular, which can be a challenge in a tight clearance...
  13. alvocado

Chain tensioner looks good. Chain is fully tensioned, no signs of broken plastic, and the chain appears to be riding on the cam adjuster sprockets. Why Audi switched from hex bolts to torx bolts on these covers is beyond me as they round like butter. Will close it up and swap in two new VVT...
  14. alvocado

I've looked over the wiring multiple times including checking all male and female connections. Connections were covered with painters tape for the repair to keep out debris and are clean. I do have two new VVT solenoids on hand but will pull the cam cover since everything is open. It's worth...
  15. alvocado

Back at it today. I manually rotated the crank to get all four cams in TDC position and tested installing the cam locks. Everything appears to have remained in sync with both cam locks going on easily and securing the cams with bolt holes facing upwards. I removed the cam locks and rotated the...
  16. alvocado

That all makes sense. There are adjusters on both sides so each cam can be adjusted and you are correct, the cam adjuster bolts are TTY and would need to be replaced if loosened. It might be later in the week before I get time to take another crack at it but I'll report back. I greatly...
  17. alvocado

I pulled valve covers and rotated the engine to TDC. The cam positioning still appears to be very close in sync although I didn't install the cam locks to completely verify (see cam lock bolt holes facing upwards on all four cams below.) I did have the car running this morning for about 1-2...
  18. alvocado

Likely bad news. Compression test revealed the following: Bank 1: Cyl 1 - 190psi, Cyl 2 - 185 psi, Cyl 3 - 185 psi Bank 2: Cyl 4 - 90 psi, Cyl 5 - 90 psi, Cyl 6 - 120 psi This is getting beyond my experience with engines so knowing if this 100% confirms bent valves would be helpful. If yes...
  19. alvocado

I greatly appreciate the professionalism and willingness to help on this forum. It's 1st class. Here's an update on some additional troubleshooting: 1: I disconnected the harness on the bank 2 as done during the repair and inspected all of the connectors and wiring. No sign of bent pins or...
  20. alvocado

The ground (circled in red) reads 0.05 ohms so should be good. Is there a way to test the main harness to rule out a bigger signal issue to the entire bank?