Search results

1. jyoung8607

Keyboards

The one true keyboard, preach it! I learned to type in grade school on IBM PC/PCjr with Model Ms and it was always my favorite. I've had three of the Unicomp licensed versions in my adult life and loved them. Biggest problem is conference calls, have to be careful to mute toggle when not...
  2. jyoung8607

Pre-purchase inspection of a 2.5L engine

Pop quiz, hotshots. Been hunting around for a car for my youngest. A 2007 Rabbit appeared on the lot at my preferred local VW dealer this weekend, and it so happens we already have a 2007 Rabbit in the family for my middle child, so it kind of works out for both maintenance commonality and...
  3. jyoung8607

Rage Against the DMV

Last weekend, through a convoluted and unfortunate series of events, I made a sudden purchase of a Missouri titled vehicle. The Missouri Department of Revenue (handles vehicle titling and registration) has not been fun to deal with so far. I'm originally from Missouri, but it's been a long time...
  4. jyoung8607

OpenPilot

A thing is happening: As of this morning, we have a fork of Comma AI OpenPilot that can steer my 2018 Golf R. We're doing it by filtering the HCA_01 (Heading Control Assist) CAN messages from the A5 camera and inserting our own, and transparently passing the rest of its traffic. We're...
  5. jyoung8607

Volkswagen Infotainment Web Interface (ViWi/RSI)

Here is a thing. https://www.w3.org/Submission/viwi-protocol/ I don't know exactly what this set of APIs and libraries is supposed to be for, but it's authored and submitted by a Volkswagen AG employee who (at the time) was in charge of Volkswagen and Audi in-car infotainment systems for...
  6. jyoung8607

VW repair wires

I have a little retrofit project in the works... One of the last pieces I need is the proper terminals or VW repair wire sets, for convenience CAN bus access. But, there's a bewildering array of terminal types and associated repair wires. I'm having a hard time identifying which one I need...
  7. jyoung8607

Proposal to improve new thread quality

There exists a vBulletin 4.2 mod "New Thread / Post Reminder Message" (alternate support doc site). I propose this should be installed and used to throw a New Thread Checklist above most attempts to start a new thread. The plugin can be set to appear only for new threads being started, not for...
  8. jyoung8607

Persistent Steering Assist fault

Vehicle: 2018 Golf R, factory stock except for trivial setting changes. My Golf R steering has persistent self-loathing issues. I'm not sure why. There are no driver-visible symptoms, everything works fine. 24320 - Steering C10AC 07 [009] - Mechanical Failure...
  9. jyoung8607

Low boost / misfire on 2008 Audi A4

Posting on behalf of a visitor. Vehicle is a 2008 Audi A4. Owner is complaining of stumbling or surging under part throttle. MIL on. Found various misfires and a frequent Boost Pressure Regulation code. Monitoring group 115, I see substantial deviation between specified and actual boost, both...
  10. jyoung8607

Specialized wiring repair issue

Pop quiz, hotshots. How would you fix this? My Phaeton has one of those Known Things wherein the wiring to the trunk lid starts to split and fray over time. The excess wiring is supposed to be hidden away and contained in this plastic box. It gets flexed in and out of a U or S-curve shape...
  11. jyoung8607

Bugatti Veyron DIY Service

Oil change and air filters on a Veyron W16. The oil change I kind of expected to be complex, with the dry sump system. Sixteen drain plugs. I was underwhelmed by the oil filter, given the flow rate this thing must need. I wonder if it's on a partial bypass system? Those air filters though...
  12. jyoung8607

Oil pressure problems on a 1.8T AWM

What would you do if you were saddled with indirect moral and/or financial responsibility for a 2004 Passat GLS with the oil pressure heart-attack light starting to come on more and more frequently when the oil is at full temperature? Asking for a friend. :mad: These engines had a rep for being...
  13. jyoung8607

Budack cycle engines

So VW's new gimmick with some of the EA888 2.0Ts this year is the Budack cycle. Basically just early close of the intake valve under light load to reduce the intake air charge. Then when you put your foot in it, VTEC kicks in yo...
  14. jyoung8607

Family Photo

Crappy day for a photo, but today my driveway reached peak VW... From right to left: 2004 Passat GLS "The Downgrayedd" daughter's daily driver 2018 Atlas SEL Premium "Family Truckster" wife's daily driver 2006 Phaeton W12 "High Maintenance Bitch" my former daily driver luxobarge and now...
  15. jyoung8607

Entropy is a Harsh Mistress

... or "The Long Goodbye" ... or "She's Dead, Jim: Part IV: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shit" (Part 3) (Part 2) (Part 1) Wherein I chronicle the sad life, death, and organ donation of my poor foster 2004 Phaeton V8. Part 1 coming a bit later tonight. Special guest appearance by: The...
  16. jyoung8607

Auto start-stop behavior?

I have a 2018 Atlas SEL Premium, with the 3.6L FSI V6. It comes with auto start-stop, like many cars these days. I seem to be part of a minority that actually likes the feature. Even though I know how to permanently disable it, I keep it on. But sometimes, start-stop doesn't kick in at a stop...
  17. jyoung8607

Team Atlas

So I go on the Interwebs tonight to see what sort of interesting tweaks might be available on the Atlas, now that it's been out for almost two months. Some intrepid soul will have plotted out all the cool nerd-knobs already, right? Quantity two (2) threads on the entire Interweb with Atlas...
  18. jyoung8607

2018 Atlas, 3.6 FSI VR6 (CDVC)

Full Atlas support (as shown here) requires minor code and data updates, just finished by Ross-Tech, presumably to be published in the next Beta and HEX-NET/HEX-V2 codeblocks. A HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface is required for access to all modules. A legacy HEX-USB+CAN interface will not work with...
  19. jyoung8607

She's dead, Jim: Part Tres

She was a good car. She never let me down. I thought I had gotten over this car long ago, but I am sad anyway. As for the operator, she has either learned an important lesson about maintaining attention on the road, or she has not. Time will tell, and that part is out of my hands. I tried to...
  20. jyoung8607

The Grand Tour

The first episode drops TONIGHT at 7:01PM Eastern, on Amazon Prime streaming video. GET HYPE! Discuss.