Search results

1. Uwe

VCDS with Windows 10 on ARM CPUs

Folks, this is "Unsupported". That means if it works for you, great, but don't fuss at us and expect us to solve the problem if it doesn't. If you have a a modern machine running Windows 10 on an ARM CPU, for example a Surface Pro X or a Galaxy Book Go and a current Ross-Tech interface...
  2. Uwe

Windows 11

With the Windows 11 release imminent, we're starting to get questions. We haven't done much testing, but don't anticipate any real problems with VCDS who are using any our current interfaces (HEX-V2 or HEX-NET). If you have a current interface, you might have to un-check the "Install USB...
  3. Uwe

If I was in the market for a laptop...

... which I am not at present, I would strongly consider one of these: https://frame.work/ Designed to be repairable and upgradable. -Uwe-
  4. Uwe

'murican Pickup Trucks

Since we can't get an Amarok here, I can't really compare their utility with my Ramboxen: -Uwe-
  5. Uwe

Practical and Relevant Videos

Charles ("The Humble Mechanic") has a really excellent channel: -Uwe-
  6. Uwe

Official Theme Song for This Section

7. Uwe

A Sad Day

It pains me to announce that one of our most prolific and valued members has passed away today. @Jack@European_Parts has succumbed to complications of COVID on this 11th day of April, 2021. I have known Jack since before Ross-Tech existed. He was always character. Some people did not care...
  8. Uwe

VCDS -- An Amazing Investment!

Check this out. A HEX+CAN that we sold for $349 five years ago just sold for $380 on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203297126774/ :popcorn: -Uwe-
  9. Uwe

2021-02-03 Forum Software Update

The plan for today is to update XenForo from 2.1 to 2.2. Compared to the transition from vBulletin to XF 2.1, this should be relatively straightforward, without much change in the look and feel of the forum. @Santos plans to make the forum read-only at 3:30pm, do a complete backup, and then...
  10. Uwe

Automatic Transmission Demystified

I've never really understood how conventional ("slushbox") automatic transmissions work. They've always been something of a black-magic mystery to me. But I recently came across this article that describes the workings of the ZF8, and it helps a lot...
  11. Uwe

Electric window switch

Please post an Auto-Scan for context. -Uwe-
  12. Uwe

Shiny New Forum Software!

Lots of new features. I'll explain some of them later. Right now we're still tweaking this, so do not be surprised if you encounter a few glitches. -Uwe-
  13. Uwe

Forum Software Migration

As discussed in a previous thread, we've been looking at migrating this forum to different software (XenForo) that is being actively maintained and enhanced, and has more features. Now we're almost ready to do that. In fact, it's scheduled for this coming Monday, September 7th, which is a...
  14. Uwe

Inbound Storm

This afternoon could bring some interesting weather to RT's HQ: With 100 km/h winds predicted, I would not be surprised if we have some outages... -Uwe-
  15. Uwe

Ross-Tech's 20th Anniversary Sale!

Greetings! May 16th, 2020 will mark the 20th anniversary of the first version of VAG-COM (Beta 0.50) available for download, as well as the date on which we officially started taking orders for the original ISO-COM interfaces. For our 10th and 15th anniversaries, we used coupon codes for 10%...
  16. Uwe

Where were you 50 years ago this weekend?

This is obviously a question for the old farts like me, the ones who saw this live on TV: It's one of those moments that almost everyone who experienced it remembers exactly where they were. My Uncle and I were camping here on the northwest shore of Lac de Neuchâtel / Neuenburgersee in...
  17. Uwe

Introduction

Our Czech distributor (AutoComSoft s.r.o.) has long had a database of diagnostic procedures. Originally, this was a PC program that could be launched from within their version of VCDS, but it moved to the web a while back. Now it exists in several languages (Czech, English, German, Polish...
  18. Uwe

Your Car Knows When You Gain Weight

Opinion piece in the NYT by Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association: Your Car Knows When You Gain Weight Personally, I think he's exaggerating a bit. How exactly is the car supposed to know when the driver has gained weight? It may be able to measure the front-seat...
  19. Uwe

LED Strip on Front Doors, NAR Mk.7 Golf R

I don't drive this car a whole lot, but every time I drive this car at night, these lights make me crazy. I find the blue light in my peripheral vision quite distracting and annoying, especially on the passenger side shown in this pic: Does anyone know how to shut these things off...
  20. Uwe

Markets / Economy

What an ugly yield curve: https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/rates-bonds/government-bonds/us It's not inverted, but it has a wonky hump in it. I don't like it.