Where is serial number found

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
I just received my Hex-V2 / 3 Vin from Ross order #20264177
Where is the serial number found for this dongle or is it read by the VCDS software ?
I need that to add to my user profile.

I understand I have a fixed 3-Vin limit and that is ok, but I dont want to install VCDS on a laptop and then my chances are basically over to use the software in case the laptop breaks.

Since it is a Dongle and therefore the security is with the Dongle, can I use the Dongle with any of my laptops ?
I hate to work with greasy hands with laptops so, with time I will have to just use a terminal with industrial keyboard from a server located out of harm.

If this is going to be an install on one computer and then i am stuck if the pc breaks (as windows about always does), then this is not going to work for me.

So what are the rules regarding this ? I have to know before I install ?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Where is the serial number found for this dongle or is it read by the VCDS software ?
It's on the main product label. Yours is "H11-072xxx". The x's are also numbers, but I've redacted them.

You can install and use the software on as many computers as you wish. The license and registration data, as well as the number of VINs used are all stored in the HEX-V2 itself.

-Uwe-

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
Thanks, that is great to know. If this was tied to one laptop for life, I would have sent it right back.

All seems fine thanks.

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
Correct, that is your answer so you can install software wherever you like.

See here:https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/5358/#post-98071

It's on the main product label. Yours is "H11-072xxx". The x's are also numbers, but I've redacted them.

You can install and use the software on as many computers as you wish. The license and registration data, as well as the number of VINs used are all stored in the HEX-V2 itself.

-Uwe-

Great that it is not dependent on a specific PC.

You meant to say it is printed on the Dongle, i guess.
I found a code resembling what you mentioned there.

So where in my profile do I update the serial number.
When i registered for the forum, it was an option, but since my order was still being shipped I had no serial number.
I looked in profile and preferences and there is no field to enter the serial number I could find.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
It's on the main product label. Yours is "H11-072xxx".
would the last 3 digits identify the owner ? Other than RT , i don't think someone could extract persoanl data from the serial number of VCDS , just curious about it..

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So where in my profile do I update the serial number.
You don't. We don't really want people's serial number visible to the public. So when people join the forum and provide one, we replace it with something else, specifically an index into our customer database that's meaningless to anyone outside of our company. That's already done in your case (and generally should be for everyone who is a Verified User).

-Uwe-

Reactions: JMR

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
would the last 3 digits identify the owner ? Other than RT , i don't think someone could extract persoanl data from the serial number of VCDS , just curious about it..
Having someone's complete serial number would make it too easy for someone who isn't really a customer to pretend to be that person.

-Uwe-

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Having someone's complete serial number would make it too easy for someone who isn't really a customer to pretend to be that person.

-Uwe-
aaaahhh yes , that makes sense then :) Anti-piracy stuff :)

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
You don't. We don't really want people's serial number visible to the public. So when people join the forum and provide one, we replace it with something else, specifically an index into our customer database that's meaningless to anyone outside of our company. That's already done in your case (and generally should be for everyone who is a Verified User).

-Uwe-

There was no way for me to know that I am already verified, so the logical conclusion was to enter the serial number I could not enter at registration.
Anyway, that takes care of my questions relating to the initial post.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
To finish the conversation, Uwe told you about the short serial number on the product label. There is also a long serial number found on the About page in VCDS.

Details of the licensing could have been read in the FAQ - Specifically FAQ 3.6 answers the matter of many PCs and explains the dongle use. 3.7 talks of moving VCDS from one pc to another.

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
You must have verified me after I looked at my account.
Most likely when I gave you my order number by editing my original post at a later time to include the order #. Before that I was definitely NOT verified and without the order number, you had no clue who I was.
There was therefore no way to know.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nah, we verified you based on the e-mail address you used to join the forum, which is the same e-mail addesss you used when you ordered your HEX-V2.

-Uwe-

zimbodel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=529266
I emigrated from Germany 23 years ago to the USA...
Start feeling like I am back there again.

Anyway my questions are answered.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I emigrated from Germany 23 years ago to the USA...
Start feeling like I am back there again.

Anyway my questions are answered.
What do you mean ?

Back