Secondary Air Pump Insufficient Flow

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
So now that I figured out the engine sensor issue. Now I am having issues with both secondary air pumps showing insufficient flows. I tried to get an auto scan but now it won’t run the tests and instead keeps saying abort. I will keep trying. Also of notes. The air mass it shows is -90% for each bank. Not sure if that is ok? I know my cats are bad and have been able to pass emmissions in the past since I can have one monitor not ready. Bit I just need to pass emmissions one last time I’m feb before putting collector plates on. Just not sure if both pumps are bad which I doubt or if I need to chase a leak somewhere? Or is the MAF bad? I have an 03 Audi A4 cabiolet

Last edited by a moderator:

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Check SAI pump first. Post auto scan. Then run output test for pump. If the pump comes on then check it for flow. If flow is sufficient check vacuum lines going to combi valves. Pull vacuum and make sure combi valve hold vacuum. If not either bad vacuum line or lack of vacuum or faulty combi valve.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Is the pcv valve and breaker intake systems hooked up to the air lines as well. I have replaced a couple of those as there seems to be noise coming from that area but maybe it’s because my sai pump is bad. The error code for the sai pumps started coming on last year but went away so I was able to pass emmission with only the cat not set. But now it seems that that writ codes keep coming back im so maybe the pump is bad? It’s hard to tell if it comes on with a cold start.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
I did an output test yesterday and I could hear it working

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Check SAI pump first. Post auto scan. Then run output test for pump. If the pump comes on then check it for flow. If flow is sufficient check vacuum lines going to combi valves. Pull vacuum and make sure combi valve hold vacuum. If not either bad vacuum line or lack of vacuum or faulty combi valve.
How do you check it for flow?

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Normally just checking to see if any soft of flow is present. I think normally you should see around 1-3 psi of pressure. As long as the pump is moving or pushing air I would say its good.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Yea i think the pump is good. I still have a trrrible noise coming from the pcv valve. I replaced this a few times already but maybe it’s a fake part as well? Any time I do any test that thing just makes trrrible rattling noise . It does go off an im but I just went under the hood with the car running and it’s awfula. It kind of sounds like it’s blocked but not sure/. Does air or pile run through the pcv valve system?

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Originally I had to replace the whole pcv valance system cause the hoses cracked when I was replacing something else. There isn’t much to that part other than the plastic hoses and then the round pcv valve which has a diaphragm of some sort inside with a spring.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
It’s the crank case vent valve making all the noise. It’s uroparte from amazon

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Crank vetn and SAI have nothing in common. If you Changed majority of the PCV system. I would assume you changed vacuum lines. If you Changed vacuum lines I would recheck everything and make sure they are connected as they should be.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Crank vetn and SAI have nothing in common. If you Changed majority of the PCV system. I would assume you changed vacuum lines. If you Changed vacuum lines I would recheck everything and make sure they are connected as they should be.
How about deleting the pcv system?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How about deleting the pcv system?
Illegally deleting an emissions system is not something you're going to get help with in this forum, sorry.

-Uwe-

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Deleting emissions related components, Is not something that's worth the time or hassle let alone the legality concerning modification of that system. Either do it right or don't do it all.

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Ackk

Back