How Do I Remove an Old VIN From My Interface/Account?

Steve1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=403199
Title says it all. I sold my 2013 A4 and want to remove it from my account as I only have the 3 VIN version.

Mats@MFT

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56967
As you have used it, it´s one count and can´t be erased

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
GX2NJaB.jpg

VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

QuattroTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=409314
That could be a nice option to have, the ability to delete a VIN that hasn't been used for let's say more than 1 year or once a year to delete 1 VIN of your choice.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That could be a nice option to have, the ability to delete a VIN that hasn't been used for let's say more than 1 year or once a year to delete 1 VIN of your choice.
How would we know it hasn't been used in a year, or that a year has passed since the last VIN was deleted? The interfaces do not have an internal real-time clock/calendar, so the current time and date would have to come from the user's PC (or mobile device with a HEX-NET), meaning it would be trivially easy spoof.

-Uwe-

QuattroTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=409314
That is actually a good question. It would need to have some sort of records on your server. The if it is has been used or not in the last year part is probably too tricky/complicated to implement but just to be able to delete 1/3 or 2/10 VIN once a year would be nice. I just sold my car last week, so 1 of my 3 VIN is now completely useless unless this kind of mechanism is implemented in the future.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It would need to have some sort of records on your server.
Given that Ross-Tech sells worldwide wouldn't this have privacy and compliance implications (such as dealing with GDPR for EU customers)? This would impact the business costs and maybe their IT strategy. My guess is that these costs (and possible extra staff) could be a large extra financial burden.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
That is actually a good question. It would need to have some sort of records on your server. The if it is has been used or not in the last year part is probably too tricky/complicated to implement but just to be able to delete 1/3 or 2/10 VIN once a year would be nice. I just sold my car last week, so 1 of my 3 VIN is now completely useless unless this kind of mechanism is implemented in the future.

In this case, the VIN limit would not make sense. Let's be realistic.

When all 3 numbers are "expired" you can always pay for 10VINs.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
When all 3 numbers are "expired" you can always pay for 10VINs.
When we conceived the HEX-V2 with a 3 VIN limit and set its pricing at the low value, we also provided a means to add more VINs. The VINs are written in the interface in a uni-directional write memory location - it cannot be erased. It was the only means to have permanent storage and still let the customer move from one place to another and not need an internet connection for every use of the tool.

So, if 3 are used, 7 can be added for $169. Cost per VIN? $24 and some change.

Use 10? The unit can be changed to Unlimited VIN for another $169.

In our marketing plans, we felt this to be a fair means to help the enthusiast user and specifically the shade tree mechanic keep costs low.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
I agree. Isn't this fair enough? :thumbs:

The question is both, rhetorical and practical. :cool:

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
When we conceived the HEX-V2 with a 3 VIN limit and set its pricing at the low value, we also provided a means to add more VINs. The VINs are written in the interface in a uni-directional write memory location - it cannot be erased. It was the only means to have permanent storage and still let the customer move from one place to another and not need an internet connection for every use of the tool.

So, if 3 are used, 7 can be added for $169. Cost per VIN? $24 and some change.

Use 10? The unit can be changed to Unlimited VIN for another $169.

In our marketing plans, we felt this to be a fair means to help the enthusiast user and specifically the shade tree mechanic keep costs low.

Indeed. And, for those who bother to do, you know, a tiny bit of math: if you think you *might* eventually go unlimited, then obviously the 10 VIN is the better bargain.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
why limit yourself ? Go UNLIMITED :) !!! It'll have a better resell value too in case you buy another brand of car ( though my understanding is that the VCDS will diagnose other type of cars too in OBD mode, never tried it...)

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
@JMR Ross-Tech does not offer the HEX-V2 Enthusiast Interface in unlimited form. Only the Europeans sell that product as for the US market, our Pro device is the HEX-NET Pro. If you want unlimited in the US, you must get there through upgrading the Enthusiast Interface.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
@JMR Ross-Tech does not offer the HEX-V2 Enthusiast Interface in unlimited form. Only the Europeans sell that product as for the US market, our Pro device is the HEX-NET Pro. If you want unlimited in the US, you must get there through upgrading the Enthusiast Interface.
whoa whoa whoa..whatta ya mean by HexNet Pro ? How do i get that ? Any difference from my hexnetV2? :cool:
Today is one of those days when i feel like a dumb light post... so forgive me :thanks:

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
Ever been here? https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS/

Most days you are very tech savvy.. surprised you never visited our web site!
i did many times. Forgive me, told ya today is a blurry hazy day in my brains :). I forgot what Enthusiast edition is . :)) soooorryyyy... I thought you guys have some goodie there which i don't have , but i do have that goodie :) :thanks:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
whatta ya mean by HexNet Pro ? How do i get that ? Any difference from my hexnetV2?
No, that's what you have. "Pro" means Unlimited VINs.

-Uwe-

• Agree
Reactions: JMR

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
yeah , you guys started talking about PRO In the USA , i thought i was being left out of the pro thing, i even went to read the sticker on my HeX Net again i was so taken with the word Pro for USA :) Goddamn i do feel at levels of highest dumbness right now :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
you guys started talking about PRO In the USA ,
Quite a few of our distributors in Europe use the same phrase, "Pro" or "Professional" to denote interfaces with Unlimited VINs.

-Uwe-

Back