Recent content by Dunwood

1. D

Starter engagement woes: new, rebuilt, service or DIY hack?

2001 1.8T MK4 Symptons: slight squeel upon startup engagement. It was worse before I pulled the starter and performed some simple cleaning and greasing of the planetary gears and Bendix (plunger). Further, I suspect the starter might be getting a bit tired since my crank strength/crank rpm...
  2. D

'01 Jetta 1.8T 00562 Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature

00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266) 29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent Putting vehicle back together after serious dose of repair by Sir Jack: an immobilized ECU and fixed mess of a cluster. Before I connect the battery, I'm attempting to check/correct 00562. ECU...
  3. D

Relatively new user: ZERO results from scan from 2004 Passat

I'm a relatively new user, you can find another of my threads under repairs for a different vehicle. I attempted to TWICE "autoscan" a potential new vehicle (2004 Passat pre-purchase). After scanning (and seeing very little activity of moving data during the scan), VCDS ended after #75 or #77...
  4. D

01M automatic transmission

I dont own one. Just curious to hear from the pros. Are they that badly engineered? Or with regular preventative maintenance they have worked well. Perhaps a regular solinoid pack replacement should have been in the cards. Or by the time you got your hands on them, they were already abused? I...
  5. D

01 MK4 Jetta 1.8T Immobilizer (first time poster....)

2001 MK4 Jetta 1.8T. Manual trans. California vehicle, not a rust bucket. 125K miles. Immobilizer initiated. Vehicle condition: extensive service and upkeep, 4K miles ago. New windshield 4 weeks ago. Car wash today (2nd or 3rd wash). This was abrupt, never had these symptoms. 1/2 hour after...