2004 Audi A8 Air Suspension help please

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
The accumulator test shows your comp is at least capable of 9 bar and you can't get more than 4.88 in the front axle so you do indeed to start tracing why, the valve block is up in the rear part of the drivers side wheel arch near the bulkhead, check the lines there with foaming leak check like Jack says and also the struts, if nothing obvious the you need to isolate the struts individually to try and eliminate the bad from the good.

This thread is great info and cheap to do
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...nsion-leak-testing-may-have-a-new-method-here
Ok so I got the rebuild for the compressor and will install later tomorrow. My question is I should get the max 16 bars 220psi from it. What should the front axel be at? I'm getting the 4.88 bars that is 66-67 psi what should I be getting? Thanks just will be helpful while testing.

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
I said earlier that the front axle has a max pressure of 9.5 bar, your compressor is capable of 9 bar witnessed by the accumulator test you did so the fact the you cant get more than 4.8 bar in the front axle would tell me that you still have a leak somewhere, you need to find that or your wasting your time.

Just to make sure I'm not feeding you a load of bull and for my own piece of mind, when the wife comes back later I will go and dump the air out of the system and see how much pressure it takes to get front axle to lift and report back

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Well my suspicions have been confirmed 4.8 bar is not enough to get the front to a normal ride height. from 8-9 bar the car should be at a normal ride height and your compressor is at least capable of that, but the charging of your front axle cant get above 4.8 bar which points towards a leak.

I made a video of going through the various steps of discharging and charging the accumulator and front axle proving how a working system should perform, as I state in the video the Basic setting portion of the video will look different to your setup as I have made my own label file to make it easier to do but the results are the same and you can see which block numbers are being used to perform the tests in the video.

https://youtu.be/OU5SBmHQIfI

Last edited:

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
Well my suspicions have been confirmed 4.8 bar is not enough to get the front to a normal ride height. from 8-9 bar the car should be at a normal ride height and your compressor is at least capable of that, but the charging of your front axle cant get above 4.8 bar which points towards a leak.

I made a video of going through the various steps of discharging and charging the accumulator and front axle proving how a working system should perform, as I state in the video the Basic setting portion of the video will look different to your setup as I have made my own label file to make it easier to do but the results are the same and you can see which block numbers are being used to perform the tests in the video.

https://youtu.be/OU5SBmHQIfI

Amazing job on the video! Thanks for the help on this. I noticed my driver side strut line going to the valve under the driver wheel base needs a new fitting. I ordered that part and waiting for it to arrive before testing further. Also I rebuilt my compressor because it was only 40.00 to put in a new piston ring, seal and bolts. I'm assuming there is not much more to the system correct? We have the motor, valve, lines in front suspension, struts, relay and fuse? Thanks and I will post updates when I get the line.

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
Ok update, I did a leak test and seams like I'm leaking at the top of my driver side strut. I decided to order both sides because they wear like shoes, I only did this because I got an amazing! Deal. Both struts for 700.00 with life time replacement. I also got new lines, and rebuilt the compressor. I will update the status from there.

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
Ok update, I did a leak test and seams like I'm leaking at the top of my driver side strut. I decided to order both sides because they wear like shoes, I only did this because I got an amazing! Deal. Both struts for 700.00 with life time replacement. I also got new lines, and rebuilt the compressor. I will update the status from there.

So I replaced the struts and MAGIC it worked!! My only problem is after I charged the system and calibrated the suspension the tires seam to scrap while hitting a bump and driving?? Please help thanks.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you set the suspension sensor mechanical setting for full travel?

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
what size are ur tires
I'm not with my car right now but I have the 19 inch and they are from Audi same size as my full spare in the trunk. Never hit before and I did a measurement on both sides and no matter what I do the passenger side hangs 1/2 lower but vcds indicates 416 Mm every time. I have a new strut coming in the mail today via the company I purchased them from.

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
I'm not with my car right now but I have the 19 inch and they are from Audi same size as my full spare in the trunk. Never hit before and I did a measurement on both sides and no matter what I do the passenger side hangs 1/2 lower but vcds indicates 416 Mm every time. I have a new strut coming in the mail today via the company I purchased them from.

I will be replacing the lower, upper control arms and links they are shot!! Only problem is I didn't take a measurement on height before removal! Some guidance would be appreciated thanks. What I mean is the upper control arms are obviously at a certain height before tighten the bolts correct? Thanks

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The repair manual has the basic setting points to reference.........

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
The repair manual has the basic setting points to reference.........
Thanks for the reply. I have AllData?? Cannot seam to locate it in there for some reason. Do you happen to have a link to where I can get the info? I thought put it together and use VCDS to adjust height DONE lol guess not. Thanks again for the help.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Thanks for the reply. I have AllData?? Cannot seam to locate it in there for some reason. Do you happen to have a link to where I can get the info? I thought put it together and use VCDS to adjust height DONE lol guess not. Thanks again for the help.

Sure that makes sense when you have NO DATA!

:)

Time for Springtime with Hitler in Neu Deutschland......please use.....
www.erwin.audi.com

BostonSlaya

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240768
Sure that makes sense when you have NO DATA!

:)

Time for Springtime with Hitler in Neu Deutschland......please use.....
www.erwin.audi.com
I would like to start off with thanks! I was wondering is there a cheaper version?? $250.00 a month OUCH!! If I was a private shop I would do it all day but I'm just an owner that knows a little more then the average JOE lol... Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Buy one day. Print everything applicable to your car to PDFs...

-Uwe-

Back