FEC/SWaP (Enabling APPCONNECT Apple/Android) in MIB unit possible to add codes with OBD11 and ODIS but not VCDS--- WHY?

welshkaiboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-2H
I think what people are saying is that it would be good to have the same features as your competition has, I think EOL functionality needs to be added or if it already exists then maybe some pointers on how to use/find it.

I can see the SWAP file function in 5F but its looking for a 8 bit HEX code (FF FF FF FF) and not the 360 odd character codeset as seen in the video.

I work in the electronics industry and functionality is always a consideration to stay ahead or at least as good as the competitors products.

Some things may not meet your business model but as other products build their feature portfolio then sometimes you might have to add these features to stay attractive especially when other products may do more for less.

welshkaiboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-2H
So can this be achieved or does the functionality need to be added?

I work in the electronics industry and functionality is always a consideration to stay ahead or at least as good as the competitors products.

Some things may not meet your business model but as other products build their feature portfolio then sometimes you might have to add these features to stay attractive especially when other products may do more for less.

It's a very cut throat world in this type of industry and portfolio of features Vs cost will always be an issue but at the same time you don't want to be left behind because another product can do more.

imy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=438070
I dont think is as simple as staying ahead of the competition.

By doing this you are allowing people to enable extra features that the dealers currently charge for, e.g apple carplay/android auto. If the dealers didn't charge for this features/options I would say yeah go for it.

Its not the same as enabling chirp/beep on lock, dealers dont offer that so they are not losing money, i know dealers charge roughly £250 to enable apple carplay/android auto (here in bradford anyway), so if we could do this our selves using VCDS it may be problematic for ross tech. I also know here in bradford people are offering these features for £100, MUCH cheaper than the dealers and people are using them they are obviously not using VCDS, I watched one person activate it on a friends golf.

IMHO its like downloading windows 10, using it for how many days its free then finding a code from a site and activating it.

Now you could argue VCDS itself is depriving dealerships of money by allowing us to diagnose/fault find/code and much more but I would say this and the FEC/SWAP are two separate issues.

By enabling FEC/SWAP takes VCDS into a gray area IMHO. Dont get me wrong, would like this in VCDS but its not as clear cut as it may seem

welshkaiboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-2H
MMM I am not sure its a different camp as you are right VCDS is depriving dealers of charging us to get MODs done (most they would say can't be done) or even issues fixed for less which days of old were hidden or the knowledge was scarce but forums allow more sharing of data. This is great for common faults, helping others all over the world for all sorts of products.

A lot of data is available on the internet for various things and people will charge for knowledge even if it has cost them nothing and I am not easy with this.

Some will argue they have invested in cables, devices and time to get these things working so should have some pay back?

I am interested for my own use and not for financial gain, yeah i could buy a new or S/H device of another brand to do the job but having invested in VCDS it would be good to have "on par" features of other tools.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I dont think is as simple as staying ahead of the competition.

By doing this you are allowing people to enable extra features that the dealers currently charge for, e.g apple carplay/android auto. If the dealers didn't charge for this features/options I would say yeah go for it.

Its not the same as enabling chirp/beep on lock, dealers dont offer that so they are not losing money, i know dealers charge roughly £250 to enable apple carplay/android auto (here in bradford anyway), so if we could do this our selves using VCDS it may be problematic for ross tech. I also know here in bradford people are offering these features for £100, MUCH cheaper than the dealers and people are using them they are obviously not using VCDS, I watched one person activate it on a friends golf.

IMHO its like downloading windows 10, using it for how many days its free then finding a code from a site and activating it.

Now you could argue VCDS itself is depriving dealerships of money by allowing us to diagnose/fault find/code and much more but I would say this and the FEC/SWAP are two separate issues.

By enabling FEC/SWAP takes VCDS into a gray area IMHO. Dont get me wrong, would like this in VCDS but its not as clear cut as it may seem

I think we're now talking two different thing here. First of all it needs to be understood that VCDS nor any other tool simply cannot enable any FeCs if it's not accepted by the cars module. So you would need to have a correctly calculated SWaP code for the feature that is using your VIN number and the modules in question VCRN code.

Inputting it to the module is just a "basic function" of any diagnostic cable that allows reading/writing coding or adaptations.

The problem is where you would get the code as that is the property and under intellectual rights of VW as an example. If you buy the code, let's say like for the appconnect like in the video here, then why would VW care one bit how you write the code to the module? It's yours after purchase. You can buy the extra service from VW and let them install it or do it yourself if you can.

JCDAS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=441875
I just wish I could find a VW dealer that would be interested in enabling a SWaP/FEC. They all say it can't be done. That doesn't jive with what others worldwide say.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just wish I could find a VW dealer that would be interested in enabling a SWaP/FEC. They all say it can't be done. That doesn't jive with what others worldwide say.
The NAR market is, uhm, "special"...

-Uwe-

AINils

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
Don't know how to update pictures in Forum. But can show problem with some pictures

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Use flickr or something to upload the pictures there and then share them here from album.

Last edited:

JCDAS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=441875
I'm using IMGUR for images. Painful extra step, but it does work.

imy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=438070
soo weird, here dealers cant wait to take your money, something like this is standard and all dealers can say is kerching!

• Agree
Reactions: JMR

JCDAS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=441875
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate to get a SWaP activated ?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
From dealer, infinite because not possible for most of the functions. Weariness recognition and Mirrorlink were available aftermarket extras for certain model year and brand/model cars earlier but they've now become either standard or just not available at all.

I'm guessing VW had bigger plans for the SWaP but for some reason they've not been able to realise it in that potential. In Golf8 platform car you have the in-car store where you can buy some extras like high beam assist, navi, carplay (if it's not standard) etc. but it's not nearly to the level what for example BMW offers for their cars. You can buy adaptive cruise, lane assist and stuff of that level already.

AINils

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
What exactly is broken?

-Uwe-

Here*s "Bug", you only can insert 1 Byte, but need to insert a String like this example: 11020006090003FFFFFFFFFF4C655657467265616B732E65752020202000618FBDB70000000000000000003B0FC769BFFF15ECD445B8196D2203D6D56BD8F22748B37D68F863DAC57E23C90A5FEEF0C06394C8D48A2EAA4F0FB658557400E66441DDC7D5AC3610AA4D45056C0C6E17C7E4B60C40E52FFA891938AF186ED20AE83A99EB10F3088479E6CBD2770C1563B5AE235B440BEF16EBE696576E108F2F9F897D963DEFBAD3ABDF2FFE

First Picture is in EOL Session, second one in Standard Session

imy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=438070
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate to get a SWaP activated ?

well here dealers are charging £250, £300 including VAT

AINils

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
From dealer, infinite because not possible for most of the functions. Weariness recognition and Mirrorlink were available aftermarket extras for certain model year and brand/model cars earlier but they've now become either standard or just not available at all.

I'm guessing VW had bigger plans for the SWaP but for some reason they've not been able to realise it in that potential. In Golf8 platform car you have the in-car store where you can buy some extras like high beam assist, navi, carplay (if it's not standard) etc. but it's not nearly to the level what for example BMW offers for their cars. You can buy adaptive cruise, lane assist and stuff of that level already.
You know (p)ACC solution. So this is a way for different situtation user can do this

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
You know (p)ACC solution. So this is a way for different situtation user can do this
Yes I know that. User can do it but it's not a straightforward process of just injecting the SWaP.

But think how VW could sell this as a software extra for cars with front assist and front camera. They could easily enable ACC or even pACC with just software. And get money out from it. But no. I simply don't understand the logic.
Is VW so tied to the dinosaur legacy they have as traditional car manufacturer that it is not just possible to think about new business model or maybe think but implement them is too complicated for them?

Back