Coding replacement EGR valve 1.6TDI

Mickeyluv

Reaction score
At the moment I'm assembling the necessary parts to replace the EGR valve on my 2012 Skoda Yeti (CAYC engine). The issue I have is whether I need to buy VCDS to do an adaptation for a replacement genuine EGR. Some people say yes, some say the ECU does this automatically - Intermotor says the power just needs cycling and then the engine run at idle to adapt. I would not want to buy VCDS if it isn't needed.

I've searched the site and elsewhere, but cannot find a conclusive answer and I'm hoping that someone here can give me some guidance.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm reasonably confident that the factory repair info will tell you to adapt it using a scan tool. Does that mean the ECU won't self-adapt it? Not necessarily. It may be a situation like setting Readiness. The ECU will eventually do it on its own, but you can force it to run the tests right here, right now, with a scan tool.

That said, there's no way I'd own a 9 year old VW without having a scan tool like VCDS. ;)

-Uwe-

Mickeyluv

Reaction score
I take your point about having a scan tool. I have Carista right now but it's only one step away from most of the free/cheap Android scan tools. I guess if I add in a battery recode and DPF ash load reset after cleaning I'll have had some value out of VCDS and then still be able to sell it on with the remaining VIN count if I decide to move away from VAG vehicles.

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
I hope you are not going to buy an Intermotor EGR, buy a genuine unit from TPS.
Regards HMC

Mickeyluv

Reaction score
Point taken. I'd used Intermotor was an example as I'd found a reference to their fitting instructions. Stoke TPS won't sell me parts since they moved so I'm looking around for a genuine unit. My local VW dealer quoted me £396, which is very steep compared to (say) a Pierburg at half that cost. With seals etc, plus VCDS it's a very expensive job.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
That said, there's no way I'd own a 9 year old VW without having a scan tool like VCDS. ;)
I agree, if you are going to intelligently and confidently approach any DIY, your going to need VCDS. Otherwise, don't bother; just take it to the "indy" or dealer.

Some people say yes, some say the ECU does this automatically - Intermotor says the power just needs cycling and then the engine run at idle to adapt.
"Some people............... " you are already making my point. Is this how you want to go into a repair? (answer, no way!)

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The above procedure probably doesn't apply; it's clearly for pre-UDS systems.

I can't offer anything definitive without seeing a scan from the car in question, but assuming your CYAC ECU is similar to others we do have scans from, there should be a couple of Basic Settings that look promising:

IDE00785 -- Adaptation of EGR vacuum regulator solenoid valve
IDE00890 -- Automatic exh.gas recirc. test
IDE00892 -- Test of exh.gas recirc. Cooler Switch-Over Valve

-Uwe-

Back