Long coding questions

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
can you change the numbers in your option screen to something non-zero? like 12345-123-12345? perhaps that's why the controller is refusing your coding request.
Better to use more random numbers than that.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Out of curiosity - not doubt:
Why?
Since that combo has been a default in VCDS for many years, some modules reject it.

If a person was paranoid, he might think that VWAG and their suppliers actually pay attention to what VCDS does. :D

-Uwe-

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
can you change the numbers in your option screen to something non-zero? like 12345-123-12345? perhaps that's why the controller is refusing your coding request.
I will try that tonight however the sotware gives me a screen suggesting that it will use that combo on my behalf but that also fails.
Cheers
Rob

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ ^ why can't OP thieve the WSC that has already been accepted by the car - as shown for each of the modules in the auto-scan; 06325 000 00000

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^^ ^ why can't OP thieve the WSC that has already been accepted by the car - as shown for each of the modules in the auto-scan; 06325 000 00000
Modules may not accept changes that don't also included a change the original, factory WSC/Importer/Equipment-Number, which this clearly is due to 000 being the Importer and 00000 being the Equipment-Number.

The dealer tool will always change these when it Changes a coding or Adaptation Channel. It will have a fixed WSC (unique for every dealer within that importer's network), an Importer number corresponding to the market, and an Equipment Number (that I suspect is globally unique, but I'm not certain about this).

My recommendation when all else fails:
  • Set "WSC" to '0' plus the last four digits of your phone number (or postal code if numeric).
  • Set Importer Number plausible for your market/country. I used to have a list of these but can't find it at the moment. USA is 444. Canada is 999.
  • Set Equipment Number to '0' plus the last four digits of your interface serial number. So for example, if you have H11-123456, use 03456.
Such values should be plausible and should also be random enough to make them impossible to block, as "12345 123 12345" appears to have become in some modules.

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I'm pretty sure , on that Central Convenience module, Rob is referring to the Security Access code. I needed this when I changed the coding for a Halogen bulb tail light TO LED tail light conversion. 2009 Audi S5.
Since his car is a 2009 these security access codes are worth a try: 41067 OR 16017 Mine was the later.

Also, Rob, this is a very comprehensive module , hence the security access code, be sure to "save" everything before you change anything! Save on your computer and just in case snip some screen shots or use your Iphone etc. A bit of caution goes a long way on this module. Next to the ECU for the engine, this one is a close second!

Once you are "IN" that CCM..... I'm sure the community who is here daily will be able to help you out.

Last edited:

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
OK guys so - stefdds I was able to put the security access code in it was given on a popup window, so that is done. I chose some codes a couple of digits out from iichels and no luck still getting error 31. I did have my WSC and equipment numbers different Uwe is that OK? Also I cannot change the ID codes anymore, i assume I need to reinstall to do this?

Any Ideas of where too now?

Thanks again guys

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
So what are you trying to change exactly? What bits and bytes? Are they labeled?
Perhaps you're doing all the right steps, but some invalid coding for this specific BCM. Please clarify :)

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
Hi iichel
I just want to paste in a new long code, that is it. I even tried recreating the long code in long code helper before I realised that the helper did the same as
just pasting it in. Problem, can't paste code that is it!
cheers
Rob

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
That doesn't answer my question :) What is the new coding? Is it a valid coding?

Reactions: Uwe

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
sorry mate, I was able to get the code from the old module, I copied it to a notepad doc then pasted it into the new code section. I also built up the old code
in the long code helper and it is spot on.
Can I get some other codes from the scan of the old module?
Rob

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
did you ever scan this car before? if so, have a look in your C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs and \Debug folder for any information.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I was able to get the code from the old module, I copied it to a notepad doc then pasted it into the new code section.
Is the new module EXACTLY the same as the old one (same hardware AND software part numbers)?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
i'm still wondering what the new coding string is

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
Is the new module EXACTLY the same as the old one (same hardware AND software part numbers)?
No Petrol Dave it is not, the last letter is different -OLD "C" NEW "K". It is however out of an A4 and I was helped by some Audi techs in choosing this one, I had one before from a A5 that was problematic.

Even if this part was wrong I still should be able to code it. Nobody has really been able to answer - is all of this because of component protection?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I still should be able to code it. Nobody has really been able to answer - is all of this because of component protection?
I don't think it is, but I'm not 100% certain.

Have you put tried some "random" numbers for WSC, Importer, and Equipment Number as suggested in post #26 above?

-Uwe-

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
Hi Uwe
I can't change them anymore they are greyed out, do you have a suggestion besides reinstalling the software?
Thanks
Rob

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I can't change them anymore they are greyed out, do you have a suggestion besides reinstalling the software?
You can just delete the VCDS.CFG file. If it doesn't exist, it will be rebuilt from scratch when you do [Options] -> [Test] -> [OK] -> [Save].

-Uwe-

RBDJ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=425643
:thumbs:

Back