Question before buying

onodelta

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Golf R that has ECU coding that is wrong with my car and it shows the ECU coding is incorrect when I plug in the adaptive cruise control sensor and it throws a fit, the long code in my ECU shows it's a DSG transmission and and an audi with right-hand drive among other things that are incorrect for my car. My car is manual left-hand drive and obviously a VW. Would I be able to correct these with VCDS? Would I have the access code to use to allow me to change these settings?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I have a 2017 Golf R that has ECU coding that is wrong with my car and it shows the ECU coding is incorrect when I plug in the adaptive cruise control sensor and it throws a fit, the long code in my ECU shows it's a DSG transmission and and an audi with right-hand drive among other things that are incorrect for my car. My car is manual left-hand drive and obviously a VW. Would I be able to correct these with VCDS? Would I have the access code to use to allow me to change these settings?

I'd love to write absolutely - yes. But the truth is while you will have the ability to code the modules, it sure seem like someone may have put a wrong module in your car. Maybe it is coding. Maybe it is physical hardware.

The best tool in the aftermarket to help you is VCDS. The only alternative is the factory tool ODIS. VCDS is going to give you the most it can but know that some pieces have to be coded by the dealer tool. Don't know if in this particular case you will need access to a dealer tool owing to the thing VCDS cannot do.

To give better answers, all on this community will need to see an autoscan of the car. Maybe you could find someone near with VCDS to do the autoscan.

onodelta

Reaction score
I'd love to write absolutely - yes. But the truth is while you will have the ability to code the modules, it sure seem like someone may have put a wrong module in your car. Maybe it is coding. Maybe it is physical hardware.

The best tool in the aftermarket to help you is VCDS. The only alternative is the factory tool ODIS. VCDS is going to give you the most it can but know that some pieces have to be coded by the dealer tool. Don't know if in this particular case you will need access to a dealer tool owing to the thing VCDS cannot do.

To give better answers, all on this community will need to see an autoscan of the car. Maybe you could find someone near with VCDS to do the autoscan.

I can scan it with my generic scanner and show all the codes

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I doubt the generic scanner will not show the module part numbers. That is the detail information needed to know.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a 2017 Golf R that has ECU coding that is wrong with my car and it shows the ECU coding is incorrect when I plug in the adaptive cruise control sensor and it throws a fit, the long code in my ECU shows it's a DSG transmission and and an audi with right-hand drive among other things that are incorrect for my car. My car is manual left-hand drive and obviously a VW.
Any idea how it got that way?

Without a proper scan to see what's going on, my advice is: Please physically inspect the ECU to see what part numbers it has on it. I'm curious whether someone swapped in an incorrect ECU, or someone put the wrong software in the car's original ECU.

In an case, I doubt this can be fixed via coding.

-Uwe-

onodelta

Reaction score
Any idea how it got that way?

Without a proper scan to see what's going on, my advice is: Please physically inspect the ECU to see what part numbers it has on it. I'm curious whether someone swapped in an incorrect ECU, or someone put the wrong software in the car's original ECU.

In an case, I doubt this can be fixed via coding.

-Uwe-

I don't know how it got this way, I bought this car from auction site like I did other vws and audis and never had this problem before. Here is what the scan shows and long code info. This is a 2017 Golf R USA version, those safety bolts appear to not have been messed around with that hold the ECU. Could this be possible to have been done with a tune or something to make the car behave differently? When I plug in the cruise control sensor on the front of the car (replacement one I bought cuz it was missing when the car came in) it shows that engine code that ecu is incorrectly coded, it does not show it if I dont plug it in, itll just show under the adaptive cruise control module that it is not plugged in.
It lets me change a few of the lines, from audi to vw and right hand drive to left hand drive, but then it starts doing other funny things since its not fully coded like it should be. One thing I notice if I do that, it wont start with just pressing clutch anymore, it wants to have both clutch and brake pedal pressed to start engine, weirdest thing I've seen
It won’t let me change the transmission and everything else though
https://imgur.com/a/DozKm5x

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

onodelta

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the part numbers seem OK.

For example here's a car with the same ECU, manual trans, and ACC:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?21843

Here's one without ACC:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?16131-2017

So it's possible this can be fixed via coding, but it might require a security access code, and I'm not sure we have that.

-Uwe-

They both have the same exact ECU long code and they both have manual transmissions, I dont know what is going on. Why are these cars showing coding for an automatic convertible front wheel drive audi?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
They both have the same exact ECU long code and they both have manual transmissions, I dont know what is going on. Why are these cars showing coding for an automatic convertible front wheel drive audi?
Is it possible that somebody's coding chart is incorrect?

-Uwe-

onodelta

Reaction score
Is it possible that somebody's coding chart is incorrect?

-Uwe-

I dont know, what are the chances 3 random golf r's all have manual transmissions with the long code in ECU showing the same thing, very slim, but component protection is on the new sensor i bought that i put in so maybe why its giving all these problems.

Last edited:
Back