Dreaded P0441 Evap Code

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Got the manual. So far nothing to help out much with the evap code other than it could need a software update which I would probably have to.bring in anyhow. But the misfiring is now the biggest concern as it appears worse now. I had a misfit tissue on cylinder 5 a couple years ago. Replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs and ran seaform through and it cleared up for a.couple of years. Now I am getting random misfired on all the cylinder s. I replaced.the maf sensor based on that when I had disconnected I would get no misfires. The minute I would hook it up misfires.would occur. After replacing the maf it got a little better although it would still misfire at idle.after.cold starter. Then on Friday is misfired out of control while I was driving. One.of.the cylinders misfired over 300 times on the highway and shook all over the place. I let it sit over the weekend and tried it at idle yesterday and again random misfires in all cylinders. Could.it be a head gasket and is it.time to junk it? I doubt all of the ignition coils.would all fail at once? Also there doesn't appear to be any vacuum leaks anymore.

Looks like there was some kind of recall/campaign for the ignition coils causing misfire but mine were probably changed out as there aren't any open recalls for my vehicle or it wasn't included which would figure

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The reason it clears up with MAF disconnected is there is a vacuum leak & you must trace and fix it.

Did you Isolate zones to intake & where it can possible leak to rule out the culprit?

Did you test zones with mighty vac?

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
The reason it clears up with MAF disconnected is there is a vacuum leak & you must trace and fix it.

Did you Isolate zones to intake & where it can possible leak to rule out the culprit?

Did you test zones with mighty vac?

I ran smoke though the lines and only noticed the one leak and that was fixed. I will have to try the vac test next. I just don't want to find it's a blown gasket. I have another vehicle that may have a blown gasket as it has the classic overheating symptoms. But it's a Dodge an that a whole other different story. That one could go at anytime which is why I am trying so hard to track this one down. I will have to look at the vacuum line diagram and figure out where it could be. I do want to point out that the first time I did the smoke test, I did notice a trace amounts of smoke coming out of the oil cap and some near the cylinders on the driver's side. I did few smoke tests since then and there wasn't any smoke but that's what also made me think there was some kind of gasket leak

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
I ran smoke though the lines and only noticed the one leak and that was fixed. I will have to try the vac test next. I just don't want to find it's a blown gasket. I have another vehicle that may have a blown gasket as it has the classic overheating symptoms. But it's a Dodge an that a whole other different story. That one could go at anytime which is why I am trying so hard to track this one down. I will have to look at the vacuum line diagram and figure out where it could be. I do want to point out that the first time I did the smoke test, I did notice a trace amounts of smoke coming out of the oil cap and some near the cylinders on the driver's side. I did few smoke tests since then and there wasn't any smoke but that's what also made me think there was some kind of gasket leak

I also had to replace the crankcase breather tube as it broke when I was replacing the engine coolant sensor. That made the car misfire as well until I replaced it

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
FIX IT

DisastrousCalmIggypops-size_restricted.gif

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
tumblr_o4ghcghhs91v6hp5mo7_250.gifv

Man this car is going to take a schmitz soon huh?

What do you think?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I think something about schmitz stinks, how about you?

Do you really care about doing anything proper or are you just messing with us with bullshit?

dontcare_0.gif

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
I think something about schmitz stinks, how about you?

Do you really care about doing anything proper or are you just messing with us with bullshit?

dontcare_0.gif

I'm just messing with you

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
I'm just messing with you
You told me me to buy the manual so I did.im in the process of trying to read through stuff but there is no mention of fixing vacuum leaks and misfires. It does not discuss all the possible causes of misfiring. Just a couple of tsbs about a campaign with doesn't apply. No mention of head gasket info. There.is some info about the evap code but not my big issue right no. I will try vac tester. No mention of how to go about doing that or what I am what to measure and what they mean in regards to the misfires
I have told you what I have all tried and all you send me are silly pictures. I don't have a huge amount of extra time which is why I joined these forums. I have spent a great deal of time on this car fixing everything from the multiple wheel sensors to the abs toner ring to removing the abs module which was no small feat. So if you think I'm bullshittingyiu so be it. If you don't want to help fine. Not gonna stop me from posting and asking for help. Not against any laws to ask for help in order to rule out stuff. Like I said this is not my main vehicle so spending a great deal on fixing it is not happy not gonna happen. I was trying to get a feel of it could be ablown head gasket cause if it could be that's all I need to hear and this car is getting junked. If you still insist it could be a vacuum leak I will have try the vacuum test. I like most people do not like to pay the stealerships money for testing I can do myself and for them to tell me a hundred things wrong and not able to really fix my problem. I have had shops say they fixed an o2 sensor only for it to go bad in a week.i do those myself now. The shop I was gonna use usesalldata which you say is no good. What good is that shop going to do . ? Not to mention I probably have a bad cat which this car has 2 and they are 1400 a piece far more than this car is even close to ever being worth

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Nice.guy you are. Typical car asshole.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you do the following if not you should consider the questions huh?

Compression test?
Cylinder leak down test?
Coolant PSI test?
Fuel system volume and pressure tests?
Vacuum leaks tested, verified/repaired?
Wiring and respective controllers or sensors okay or no FOD?
Hardware and all AECD'S in order?

Did you know if not check and test as per the RTFB and if seeking instruction, contact trade school, professional shop visit or start watching free curriculum online in how to videos?

Don't you believe your questions are not VCDS related and you were advised of what tests to do in VCDS with aid of RTFB so stop trolling and being lazy and get to work?

cobra+commander+get+to+work.jpg

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Did you do the following if not you should consider the questions huh?

Compression test?
Cylinder leak down test?
Coolant PSI test?
Fuel system volume and pressure tests?
Vacuum leaks tested, verified/repaired?
Wiring and respective controllers or sensors okay or no FOD?
Hardware and all AECD'S in order?

Did you know if not check and test as per the RTFB and if seeking instruction, contact trade school, professional shop visit or start watching free curriculum online in how to videos?

Don't you believe your questions are not VCDS related and you were advised of what tests to do in VCDS with aid of RTFB so stop trolling and being lazy and get to work?

cobra+commander+get+to+work.jpg

Interesting new code came up since I changed out the maf. 18265. The maf i put in was the same part number I took out. I guess I will have to test it a bit more and check out the fuel trim.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Interesting new code came up since I changed out the maf. 18265. The maf i put in was the same part number I took out. I guess I will have to test it a bit more and check out the fuel trim.

Did the MAF take a Schmitz?

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Did the MAF take a Schmitz?

Well I do think I still have some vacuum leak based off looking at the fuel trim numbers. My short term was way off at idle and subsided after a while of idling and the car adjusting. I guess it's just a matter of finding it. I got to get a vac in there and test the pressue. Back to the EVAP code, I went ahead and got a different gas cap and put that one. It didn't fix the evap leak and in fact it turned on my gas door light. But one thing of note while I had no gas cap on, it gave the PO441 code right away which is a given. But as soon as I put the old gas cap back on, it ran the test itself and it came back as EVAP ok. Not convinced, I ran it a short time later with the same gas cap, but this time it failed. Not sure why it passed right away as soon as I put the old one back on and then fail a short time later. Now the replacement wasn't a genuine OEM but I still think it's more than a gas cap issue. I just thought it was odd that it passed when I put the old one back on after having another one on there.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you do the garbage bag test yet with duct tape or spray distilled water and trace the misfire?

eb851131-66a9-4a69-a43d-8c9ba073e5ae_1.7d50a2926638f1068805b57e8ec1dfbb.jpeg
9a83ee55-4046-485b-9638-da7f872f58e3_1.01c2bb5a8e6d22c3e932c70a0de01c90.jpeg

81300MqRcHL._SL1500_.jpg

67212_.jpg

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
Did you do the garbage bag test yet with duct tape or spray distilled water and trace the misfire?

Do you mean spraying soapy water around the manifold and such looking for vacuum leaks and listing for the idle difference ? Otherwise I am not familiar with that test. What will that do? hey I'm willing to try it. What is it called exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Can't you watch VCDS blocks for misfires or trims while pissing on engine since it's a piss and Schmitz combo?

Back