Any B6/B7 S4 owners care to check something please ?

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I was logging some data on my 2003 B6 S4 today and spotted a few measuring blocks that don't populate with data.

ECU part number is 8E0-910-560-R but that points to a label file 079-910-560-BBK.lbl which I suspect is derived from another V8 based engine. I am expecting to see oil temperature in Block 134/1 on the basis that the instrument cluster communicates that value over the powertrain bus. I can see oil temp in the cluster in Group 50.

No fault codes and all comms with instruments and other modules reporting sane.

I am just wondering if I have an oddball issue on my car, or whether this appearance of block 134/1 in the BBK label file is erroneous and only relevant to older variants of the V8 engine.

If anyone else with a BBK engine in a B6/B7 S4 can have a quick look and report their findings it would be awesome.

I already searched here (and elsewhere) for more info on this without luck. I couldn't find any reference scans for this car either so I will upload mine for posterity. See link below.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?19978-2003-Audi-S4-(B6-Avant)-BBK-Engine-UK-RHD-Model&p=175876#post175876

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Why oh why is there no auto-scan posted?

Please post one OP and JPPSG..........

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
Full scan is in the reference scan list - hence the link in the OP as I couldn't find any BBK reference scans across the forum. As for JPPSG - well I had to google that one - I'm so 2000 and late ;-)

I was just hopeful of finding some other B6/B7 S4 owners who could report if they see same behaviour of missing the oil temp info in Block 134. I am not really calling this out as a fault until I know more about expected behaviour on this car as it seems the label file is derived from other '079' type ECUs.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I was just hopeful of finding some other B6/B7 S4 owners who could report if they see same behaviour of missing the oil temp info in Block 134.
The B7 V8 is dramatically different. I'm pretty sure it's a 4V direct-injected engine vs your 5V port-injected engine, with a much never generation of ECU. Hence I think you should restrict your query to B6 cars.

Your ECU may simply not care about oil temperature. Many of that vintage didn't.

-Uwe-

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
I am pretty sure the BBK engine in a B6-S4 is exactly the same as the BBK engine in a B7-S4 ! The BBK is a non FSI engine with 40 valves.
The B7-RS4 has the more exotic, higher revving FSI engine with 32 valves - thats the BNS motor.

I had not looked for ECU differences across the B6/B7 BBK lifetime but that is a distinct possibility - a quick look at the parts system tells me the ECU part number 8E0-910-560-R is indeed B6 only. I will chase around some other forums in the search of other owners with VCDS to see if there is a trend here and I can tweak the label file. My sense is the label file is somewhat generic for that 079 engine type and indeed this ECU does not care about oil temp.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am pretty sure the BBK engine in a B6-S4 is exactly the same as the BBK engine in a B7-S4 ! The BBK is a non FSI engine with 40 valves.
If it has the same engine code, BBK, then it is indeed the same engine. But I thought that Audi made some substantial changes with the B7? I could be wrong though, since I've never owned any of these cars, although I kinda still lust after a B7 RS4, and that engine may indeed be the source of my confusion.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
If it has the same engine code, BBK, then it is indeed the same engine. But I thought that Audi made some substantial changes with the B7? I could be wrong though, since I've never owned any of these cars, although I kinda still lust after a B7 RS4, and that engine may indeed be the source of my confusion.
Having owned 2 x B6 S4 and 1 x B7 RS4 (and being the kinda guy that does LOTS of research!) I can confirm that the B7 S4 used the same 40 valve BBK non-FSI engine as the B6 S4, and that the B7 RS4 used the FSI 32 valve BNS engine (which also had completely redesigned timing chains).

BTW a non-high revving version of the BNS also appeared in the Q7.

Reactions: Uwe

nugentp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6386
All of which is 100% correct and appreciated, but 0% helpful in the search for an answer to my question about the expectation for oil temp visibility in the BBK controller. Surely I am not the only current B6/B7 S4 owner with VCDS at their disposal. Oh well - the mystery continues - the world will keep on turning !

Back