Old Man A6 Won't Start in Antarctica

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I just want my car to go vroom vroom.

"Me too"..........opps, I mean, yes I would like your car to operate and comport with the agreed way it was supposed to for consideration paid during its defined life.

Is it not a reasonable expectation for any car to operate when you go to use it if within its lifetime & when cared for properly?

vroom_vroom_3.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you ever just imagine how lucky you are or how the people must of felt & just before they died, when the steering wheel locked up in a high speed traffic condition & from a defect or electrical mechanical lock issue or from a Kessy that took on water & that should of been recalled that caused this unsafe condition as a known repetitiously & ubiquitous clear defect?

Lots of questions to ask before going vroom vroom..........oh Feck that steering lock at least mechanically!

Katie Ross

Web Mistress
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000276
Did you ever just imagine how lucky you are or how the people must of felt & just before they died, when the steering wheel locked up in a high speed traffic condition & from a defect or electrical mechanical lock issue or from a Kessy that took on water & that should of been recalled that caused this unsafe condition as a known repetitiously & ubiquitous clear defect?

Lots of questions to ask before going vroom vroom..........oh Feck that steering lock at least mechanically!

Sorry, joking nod to something I said when I was 4 years old. I told dad that when I grew up I wanted a car that went "vroom vroom".

Should I be concerned about this issue re-occurring in the future while in transit?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've not seen or heard any reports of that kind of thing, and I believe the NHSTA would be on that like white on rice if it were a problem.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Should I be concerned about this issue re-occurring in the future while in transit?

I've not seen or heard any reports of that kind of thing, and I believe the NHSTA would be on that like white on rice if it were a problem.

-Uwe-

Would I be concerned, indeed I would be?

Yes it can now can't it if it can lock it, it can indeed open it or lock it again during transit and is there a mechanical lock out to prevent it for redundancy in RTFB that by design is a fail-safe?

Do not kessys take on water & fail all kinds of different ways depending on degree of corrosion bridge?

Do dead people talk and do you really think that when cars get in a collision that a real detailed sleuth is done in the OBD2?

Removing the lock by removal of the mechanical pin is the only way to be sure now isn't it?

NHTSA is busy and relies on OEM's to self regulate to a degree.......that is why people need to report stuff and all too often it goes unreported!

WTF!
So let me see, the TV systems are built with redundancy of POTS right & set or test with own MIL called an EPC and still fail, why not design the idea & you add a secondary safety lockout mechanism & so the steering column can't lock itself during operation & to avoid a head on collision to steer the car from nope, let's have it create an unsafe possible driving scenario instead & force entire replacement of the steering column & to total the car?

https://i.postimg.cc/HTDSZSq4/AUDI-Steering-gear-built-of-dicks.png?dl=1

AUDI-Steering-gear-built-of-dicks.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, I don't.

But then I also don't see anything that would cause the lock to engage other than the electric motor being actively driven to engage it, and a motor being actively driven is not a typical failure mode for any system.

Now please stop being paranoid and upsetting my daughter. :p

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes your Eminence......."by your command".
I think Katie and Linda are right, they deserve new convertible sports cars! :p

All kidding aside if the pin for the lock is removed it can't never lock and the worm gear motor opens and closes with no resistance to error out on. Then the wheel always turns regardless & less likely but eventually a micro switch error, but steering always possible.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
All kidding aside if the pin for the lock is removed it can't never lock and the worm gear motor opens and closes with no resistance to error out on. Then the wheel always turns regardless & less likely but eventually a micro switch error, but steering always possible.
Yes, and I intend to get that done. But given that the car is currently in State College PA, it isn't feasible immediately.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Convertibles are gross. A Passat wouldn't be bad though....

Someone indeed is going to be or is now lucky to have a relationship with you!

Beauty, Weapons knowledge, Hard top sedans, fun sense of humor & to not get rattled, ability to do diagnostics, flat out real common sense with a brain.

I guess it's all about the stock....... :p

Reactions: Uwe
Back