Diagnostics Firewall

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Hi all,

I've read the release notes for VCDS Beta 18.7.2 (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/beta/current.php) and took notice of:

Detects state of Diagnostic Firewall
... and prompts user to open hood on vehicles where this is required.

What the heck is this?
Cars by factory have some kind of a diagnostics protection? For what purpose? And what cars do have such a protection in detail?

Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've read the release notes for VCDS Beta 18.7.2
Mad props for actually reading the stuff. It seems very few people do that. :thumbs:

New A8, new A6, new Touareg, and presumably other future models/platforms. These cars will not allow functions that involve "writing" anything to a control module while the diagnostic firewall is enabled. To disable the diagnostic firewall, open the hood. New versions of VCDS will warn the user when the diagnostic firewall is enabled.

As for why VWAG is doing this, your guess is as good as mine.

I've heard Fiat/Chrysler has implemented something very similar, except that the only way to disable it is via a challenge/response from their factory servers. I don't think that approach will withstand legal challenges in the US or the EU though...

-Uwe-

Last edited:

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
There are people out there not reading the release notes? :cool:

Could it be the case that it's actually not a firewall but an anti-anti-battery-charger protection because these new cars suck the f**** out of the battery on ignition? :D :D

I mean...

firewallh3f9k.jpg

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
I guess popping the hatch open is enough to disable the firewall?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Could it be the case that it's actually not a firewall but an anti-anti-battery-charger protection because these new cars suck the f**** out of the battery on ignition? :D
Actually, the newer ones don't seem to be quite as bad as some of the previous ones. IMO, the generation of cars that includes the 7L Touareg and the 4E A8 may have been the most power-hungry with key on, engine off.

But if I were VWAG, I would indeed enable the firewall if the system voltage is below about 12.5V, regardless of any other conditions! :)

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess popping the hatch open is enough to disable the firewall?
As far as I know, it has to be the hood, not the hatch. But we haven't played in person with any car that has this; we only have info and maps from customers on your side of the pond.

-Uwe-

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Oh, that was my fault. I meant the hood (front of the car). My assumption is, that it does not register the actual position of the hood, but rather if it is completely closed or not.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I just read one interesting thing in another forum.
Excerpt:

First the adaptions was rejected, because the diagnose firewall was active, so it is important to first open the hood and handbrake the car before proceeding.

So also handbreak is important? Nice to know...

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So also handbreak is important? Nice to know...
Not sure. Over here, we still don't have a car with a diagnostic firewall to check.

For me personally, it is habitual to set the handbrake (whether manual or electronic) when I park the car, so if this was necessary, I would never notice it! :D

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Yeah, there exist 10 types of people.
The ones who understand binary and pull the handbrake lever that it hits the sunroof.

And the other ones where P position or 1st gear is enough and wait for an explanation of the other 8 types.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, there exist 10 types of people.
The ones who understand binary and pull the handbrake lever that it hits the sunroof.

And the other ones where P position or 1st gear is enough and wait for an explanation of the other 8 types.
I must be the third type. I park a manual trans car in 2nd gear -- with handbrake on. :cool:

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Loyal VW Polo driver since 2009 :thumbs:
Some of the older SAABs required the transmission to be in reverse before you could remove the key...

Back