Windshield wipers stopped working - 2012 Golf R

ryanjk587

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267222
Hello

I have a 2012 VW Golf R. The windshield wipers slowly stopped working. I assumed the motor went bad, so I bought a new/used one from a salvage yard.

After removing the old motor, I plugged the new one in before installing it. Motor doesn't run. Could it be a coincidence that both motors are bad, or is there something else at play here?

I ran a scan and only found one fault code (pasted below).

Are there any tests I can run on the windshield wiper system with the vag-com tool?

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 937 084 G HW: 1K0 937 084 G
Component and/or Version: BCM PQ35 B 110 0651
Software Coding: 6F180A1A94252AC4508800C170000C444C052086774D8DB0E48420248040
Work Shop Code: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 3245EFB86D3D1DD4E2-8066
1 Fault Found:

00927 - Terminal 30 (Right)
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101011
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 5
Mileage: 147613 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.01.20
Time: 18:47:08

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 Off
Voltage: 12.40 V
OFF
ON
Term 50 Off
OFF
OFF

Thank You

Ryan

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
Don't know if your Golf has a bonnet close switch, but if it does then this may be the problem, I know if the bonnet is not properly closed on my Audi the wipers will not work.

ryanjk587

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=267222
Don't know if your Golf has a bonnet close switch, but if it does then this may be the problem, I know if the bonnet is not properly closed on my Audi the wipers will not work.

I'll look in to that.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Apparently my car has a hood switch and it needs to be closed for the wipers to function. Did not know that. Thank You!
Someday, you'll probably own a car with a hood switch that needs to be open to do any useful diagnostics. This might produce an interesting Catch-22 when it comes to output tests on the wipers. ;)

-Uwe-

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Who's that asshole /\ Jack Anyway, how dare he try to have you help yourself and be self reliant?

If your wipers clear the hood when up.........wouldn't it be a good recommendation into bypassing such a switch & because a minor collision could make a really bad day in a snowstorm or slight fender bender where the hood won't open but you need to get home in the freezing cold or bum fuck nowhere?

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
Who's that asshole /\ Jack Anyway, how dare he try to have you help yourself and be self reliant?

If your wipers clear the hood when up.........wouldn't it be a good recommendation into bypassing such a switch & because a minor collision could make a really bad day in a snowstorm or slight fender bender where the hood won't open but you need to get home in the freezing cold or bum fuck nowhere?

Like I said Jack, the auto industry has gone mad for auto everything, when it gets dark it puts lights on, when it rains it puts wipers on ECT, all because they think the human can not see it getting dark or that's its raining.

The cars I used to drive and fix were fine back in the day and so easy to pin point a problem and fix, then come along electronics and all hell let go.

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
What about the oil light staying on because the bonnet switch (hood switch ??) wiring is broken and it thinks you haven't checked the oil level!!
Regards HMC

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The cars I used to drive and fix were fine back in the day and so easy to pin point a problem and fix, then come along electronics and all hell let go.

The electronics I have always welcomed, it's the pervasive evasiveness & too fail to release complete repair manuals that makes me question things how about you?

The OEM's think they can claim to do it in spirit of being proprietary, while doing nefarious acts to rip off the consumer or circumvent rules to protect all people as a violation of law or public policy?

Has anyone seen more recently, that I have moved to asking many more questions vs giving answers?

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
The electronics I have always welcomed, it's the pervasive evasiveness & too fail to release complete repair manuals that makes me question things how about you?

The OEM's think they can claim to do it in spirit of being proprietary, while doing nefarious acts to rip off the consumer or circumvent rules to protect all people as a violation of law or public policy?

Has anyone seen more recently, that I have moved to asking many more questions vs giving answers?

Electronics welcomed yes but when electronics go to far and without information as you stated then there is a big problem, its like giving a new mechanic an engine to rebuild with white bearings, in this new electronics world we live it is even worse as there is very little information to help at least with white bearings you can google and find out what to do.

I remember when cars and trucks ran on good old points and condenser these worked well apart from the odd damp morning starting problems but was easy to know what the problem was and was soon be on your way a single point of failure unlike today which could result in multiple failure's, late 70's along came Lumenition Optronic Ignitions converters very simple to use and did away with the points and condenser no more damp morning starting problems or points shift problems, again very simple and effective and again just a single point of failure.

I to welcome electronics but I think the world has gone to far and crazy for them without basic information and understanding (we are all not rocket scientists), unfortunately for the younger generation life without them is unthinkable and would soon come to a standstill we all hear of what a large scale solar flash will do.

Electronics are efficient but at what cost.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Magneto with points or pickup is even better and no batteries needed either........or 068 series diesel QTY manual control fastened to 1Z/AHU/ALH TDI beats the solar storm with hand crank or shotgun shell crank like in the "flight of phoenix".

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
Magneto with points or pickup is even better and no batteries needed either........or 068 series diesel QTY manual control fastened to 1Z/AHU/ALH TDI beats the solar storm with hand crank or shotgun shell crank like in the "flight of phoenix".

Now you are talking a language I understand, this coupled with rod brakes and we are back in business.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I have experienced much of these things of which you speak... including the electroninicinics!

16498446363_5f88ea51fe.jpg

EVERYTHING has it's advantages and disadvantages...

(Sold the BMW only a couple of months ago - miss it already! only a 525i, but manual transmission - rare as rocking horse shit over here! :cool:)

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
Loving the T,I used to have a Austin 8 horrid drive but so simple to fix. Yes everything has a place and tech has made things convenient but as said it in my mind it has gone and is going to far.

Just think of all the taxi, lorry and service Vehicles that will soon be driver free for the love of tech, wonder where all these people will be employed, it probable wont happen in my day but it is coming to a town near you.

Back