HC100001
I love this stuff:

Eezox_3_in_1.jpg

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use EEZOX per Uwe's recommendation. Hoppes was a little too greasy. Just becareful with painted surfaces. It took some off the red paint off my PPKS safety

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
EEZOX also eats CA adhesives ("Superglue"). But I really like the way it prevents rust. I some blued guns that are kept in very difficult environment, where everything tends to rust like mad due to salt air, and this stuff has kept them rust-free.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
re: the 10/22

I owned one way back in the day (probably my senior year in high school). Box stock plinker. Light and fun. Traded it off for a dual oil relief Type 1 VW case so I could build a decent engine in my college apartment but always missed it.

About 6 years ago I got the itch to get another one, but I wanted to mod the crap out of it. Trouble is, you buy a box stock 10/22 and then replace every part on it (which of course means that you have a 10/22 and a really nice 10/22 when you're done).

I decided to circumvent the process and order the factory target version, seen here:
IMG_0152.jpg

Hammer forged target barrel. It never sees high velocity ammo. The only thing it really needs is to replace the gawd awful rusty jaw trap of a trigger with something real.

As for ammo, I found this rifle doesn't care what is popular, expensive or what the experts use. It is superbly accurate with Remington yellow and green box cheap ammo. Oh sure, everything else I feed it goes "crack" and makes a hole in approximately the right place but that Remington is X every damn time if I do my part.

Cleaning it? This might get me banned, but on advice of my father I have never touched this rifle with a cleaning rod. The .22 doesn't go fast enough to leave lead in the barrel, nor does it get shot often enough to leave much in the way of goo.

For the record I do clean all my centerfire rifles, especially the bolt guns.

Oh, and another really fun .22 is the Henry lever action. Throw a golf ball out as far as you can and start shooting at it. You'll have a hard time not laughing your ass off after 5 rounds.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Flaps, that is one sweet 10/22. Another F.O.R.T. (Friend Of Ross-Tech) has one just like that but with not quite so nice of a scope. The hammer forged barrel is hypnotic. :D

Here's some pics from a reloading session on Friday:

http://imgur.com/a/yrs55

This was just making up some plinking .30-06 for both Garand and Remington 700, more or less cloning military M2 Ball ammo so nice and gentle (2570 fps average from our chrono testing). The cases used are a mix of swaged HXP Greek military plus commercial Remington.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Primary raccoon ventilator at 25 yards from a seated position. 25 rounds at each target. Still trying to figure out the sights on this thing. Probably not impressive by Team RT standards but I'm getting more comfortable.

One of my BX-25 magazines is having trouble... feed angle is way too shallow so rounds can't be pushed out. Going to have to take it apart and see what's going on.

ruger-1022-25yards-seated.jpg

My new secondary raccoon ventilator. WAY too much fun to shoot. Now I just need a raccoon. All I've gotten this week is a confused and terrified possum who was released on his own recognizance.

ruger-sr22.jpg

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Superb airflow enhancement generators! :cool:

Now I just need a raccoon. All I've gotten this week is a confused and terrified possum who was released on his own recognizance.

Why does that sound like a plot to, or quote from, a movie these days... LOL

hedditch

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=131483
Seeing these are such fearsome creatures you must be careful not to use in ineffective weapon... May I suggest.......A Barrett 50 Cal..

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
May I suggest.......A Barrett 50 Cal..

I like the way you think.
Much like the Rolls Royce has 'adequate' power, the stopping power of the .50 cal is also adequate in my book :D

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Seeing these are such fearsome creatures you must be careful not to use in ineffective weapon... May I suggest.......A Barrett 50 Cal..
Tempting, but I'd like to be able to re-use the trap. :)

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Welcome to team SR22! Let's see some free handed groups at 25 yards :)
Went to the range today with my daughter. I've improved at 7 yards but I've still got a ways to go, and I didn't get to shoot much myself.

Then I thought of your comment, and sent a target all the way out to 25. I'm not sure if "group" is the word for 8 out of 20 on the paper... :o

Practice, practice.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Edit: Stop your breath, pull on an off beat of the heart (the 'thump' part of the 'THA-thump')
I'll give it a shot.

See also: chart
Hrm, this is relevant to my interests! I have a tendency to go left that I hadn't really figured out yet. I'll try different trigger finger placements.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I have a tendency to go left that I hadn't really figured out yet. I'll try different trigger finger placements.

I like to release the trigger with the right face just touching the first crook in the index finger for control and pressure.
Can just hear Mas taking about intra-supro master digital abberant frappasanders, but can't for the life of me think of how to describe that any other way... crook, bendy thingy in booger hook !

It varies by person, but do experiment.
Dry fire regularly and safely if your weapon is capable - cured me of the heavy-ish and seemingly long feel on my first GLOCK. :)

ps- every trigger has a 'break' and 'reset', learn them, live them... they could save your life

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Best mag of the night with SR9c @ 25yd off hand:
jlFV6Br.jpg

OK-ish, no more. Need to think more about the sight picture and less about where the brass lands :)

Best mag of the night with SR22 @ 25yd off hand:
BGoocFB.jpg

That I'm pretty pleased with. And yes my mags are now illegal in NYS :). Our SR22s with that ammo (Fed Champion 36gr CPHP) should certainly be capable of a lot better from a benchrest.

Back