Broke my HEX-CAN connector!

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
So I've had a Hex-Can cord for several years and it finally broke one of the pins off it.... It's had the plastic that protects the pins broken for quite awhile and it finally did what I knew it would. What do I do? I'm capable of soldering and all can I get the connector pins?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Post up some pictures of it please.

We have whatever parts you need, but broken pins are a PITA to replace.

-Uwe-

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pc4xjtYdhAQMVrwW2

The pics look bad I admit but the USB end has never given me an issue and the pin breaking was the first sign of any real issues with the interface at all! Let me know the best way to go about fixing this one please!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Wow, that one looks like it's been through a war. :eek:

It needs a whole new OBD-II connector assembly and a new USB cable.

If you were the original owner, and were in the US, I'd have 'em sent to you at no charge. But as far as I can tell, you're not the original owner, and due to the commercial VPN you're using, I can't determine whether whether we're looking at domestic or international shipping.

-Uwe-

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
I'm not the original owner but I am in the US actually not too far from PA in Long Island. Do I need to register the serial number for you to help me out with it? I have really appreciated the use of this thing and have turned several people on to Ross Tech over the years as a result of the awesome performance this thing has shown me and those who have been witness to its use!

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
As far as being thru a war lol it really has! I've used this cable to tune and log 4 of my personal audis and vws! Logging is hard on them from my experience(leaving it plugged in when getting in and out and driving) Its a testament of its durability and I don't think a Chinese copy would suffer the abuse this one has taken!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How competent are you with a soldering iron? The parts can certainly be replaced, but it's a royal pain.

Since you're not a registered user, how about $20 for all the parts (the whole nose assembly plus a USB cable), shipped via snail-mail in the USA.

-Uwe-

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
How competent are you with a soldering iron? The parts can certainly be replaced, but it's a royal pain.

Since you're not a registered user, how about $20 for all the parts (the whole nose assembly plus a USB cable), shipped via snail-mail in the USA.

-Uwe-

I did copper roofing for 15 years and had to solder daily and I've found that electrical soldering is a bit harder but pre tinned parts helps make a good connection.
I also think 20$ is a steal and would not hesitate to place the money wherever you asked me to to get this going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I did copper roofing for 15 years and had to solder daily and I've found that electrical soldering is a bit harder but pre tinned parts helps make a good connection.
I also think 20$ is a steal and would not hesitate to place the money wherever you asked me to to get this going!
Please bump this thread on Monday. I can't find the link I need to give you for a special order like that...

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The part number for the nose assembly is RT1962-A2001.
The part number for the USB wire for a HEX-CAN is RTCUSB-BLK01.

These are not listed on our web site in our web shop.

Boss, how shall I help this forum member place the order? Easiest would be for him to call and ask for me (Bruce).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The part number for the nose assembly is RT1962-A2001.
The part number for the USB wire for a HEX-CAN is RTCUSB-BLK01.

These are not listed on our web site in our web shop.

Boss, how shall I help this forum member place the order? Easiest would be for him to call and ask for me (Bruce).
I suggest we let him place a "Special Order" (which I couldn't find the link for) for $20 and include a link to this thread in his order.

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
As far as being thru a war lol it really has! I've used this cable to tune and log 4 of my personal audis and vws! Logging is hard on them from my experience(leaving it plugged in when getting in and out and driving) Its a testament of its durability and I don't think a Chinese copy would suffer the abuse this one has taken!

I have 10 years old VCDS interface and I use it every day for numbers of the times and looks like new,It still has uspc code.
I never seen interface used for personal vehicle and to be like yours,.
Here is some pictures of my 10 years old cable that I have used probably in over 500 vehicles:

Link:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Ums1NXhFekxPTm5sQlZQNWEtZUs2bmo2TTlDbGhR

gHd7Ho-WIr72dNOz1JugiXi6iJ11HbBZiV2sd8IE-KhTQ3snYVWhhuHT5aaZV8rmHcFv0bOFGqJ6YNuyKdx_-pFd5kfsa-O91t1kt2rM0TRNQ2PT9JwIQUlrLDTrkDwjs1a6hjvPeninffdU7CrwaMGLdDRu29rzuI1I_K8m0Ndn1gJ_L7Jo1zo5TC24Wlc9G-o11pNMUppZ2iTs3MiXi6xkarFyoVODFaFHzO_nJZqWMyncZllx4juhs1ijT6B-NiYxwf6pK-yYG7ZzAbVYdgcN3woMEh3trpEGmRb1Pp_PAx5ox085PiVy1gkOuJdbaTT6KhNYl715ThjBIjoaoAarPJ5IiaGHygYr9vAZeO7C9O52wuBeOg0w4nCKaN-rqCsGGiivVTo-zMP3yUukdYaLSmiAjivYFcRtvS3THuHK7w_suSP8z4xaofz64frEHyxMncXUMlpvRCyNit0OOXgQ0aGa3tRnz_saKgn71XiqGjI9S9TPd7JL2OKC8d40Tq7g-wcPCB6JJbL31vSUJjDvyL_S9Qv7Mk6FEoAm2Zu5le_OqYkg1WxRQ4UimM2fCBTUSk1EyjeEVOWghxrarPKhC4HAbdiurMWHg_tbKbCD_gdH5Lh-HIa-Bzu0twCkkGuQ7vzOM-VPc4R1cpREFe_PRT3nSwXc=w1280-h720-no

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
I suggest we let him place a "Special Order" (which I couldn't find the link for) for $20 and include a link to this thread in his order.

-Uwe-

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the consideration in this matter!

Robss4

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804580 (2nd hand?)
I have 10 years old VCDS interface and I use it every day for numbers of the times and looks like new,It still has uspc code.
Here is some pictures of my 10 years old cable that I have used probably in over 500 vehicles:

Link:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Ums1NXhFekxPTm5sQlZQNWEtZUs2bmo2TTlDbGhR

gHd7Ho-WIr72dNOz1JugiXi6iJ11HbBZiV2sd8IE-KhTQ3snYVWhhuHT5aaZV8rmHcFv0bOFGqJ6YNuyKdx_-pFd5kfsa-O91t1kt2rM0TRNQ2PT9JwIQUlrLDTrkDwjs1a6hjvPeninffdU7CrwaMGLdDRu29rzuI1I_K8m0Ndn1gJ_L7Jo1zo5TC24Wlc9G-o11pNMUppZ2iTs3MiXi6xkarFyoVODFaFHzO_nJZqWMyncZllx4juhs1ijT6B-NiYxwf6pK-yYG7ZzAbVYdgcN3woMEh3trpEGmRb1Pp_PAx5ox085PiVy1gkOuJdbaTT6KhNYl715ThjBIjoaoAarPJ5IiaGHygYr9vAZeO7C9O52wuBeOg0w4nCKaN-rqCsGGiivVTo-zMP3yUukdYaLSmiAjivYFcRtvS3THuHK7w_suSP8z4xaofz64frEHyxMncXUMlpvRCyNit0OOXgQ0aGa3tRnz_saKgn71XiqGjI9S9TPd7JL2OKC8d40Tq7g-wcPCB6JJbL31vSUJjDvyL_S9Qv7Mk6FEoAm2Zu5le_OqYkg1WxRQ4UimM2fCBTUSk1EyjeEVOWghxrarPKhC4HAbdiurMWHg_tbKbCD_gdH5Lh-HIa-Bzu0twCkkGuQ7vzOM-VPc4R1cpREFe_PRT3nSwXc=w1280-h720-no

And your point would be? I don't want to be obtuse here but is the point of your post to show how much better you are at handling your cable than I am? Congratulations your better than me! I guess I'll go and get my lashings for being hard on my cable now. Thanks for your post BTW

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the consideration in this matter!
Send an e-mail to Sales@... please, and include a link to this thread. Bruce will hook you up somehow. :)

-Uwe-

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP

Mine looks the same after 9+ years of usage. These seem to last when not abused. Out of curiousity, any ideas what that barcode on the side of the case means? Is it a significant/required/strategic thing? I always was wondering :) Now mine is worn and peeling at some edges..

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Mine looks the same after 9+ years of usage. These seem to last when not abused. Out of curiousity, any ideas what that barcode on the side of the case means? Is it a significant/required/strategic thing? I always was wondering :) Now mine is worn and peeling at some edges..
Don't you have a bar code reader on your phone? :)

Assuming it is originally from our inventory (and not from one of the European distributors who also do final assembly) it's just the serial number printed on the label, for example HC123456. We apply the bar code at the same time as the main label with the human-readable so we can scan the serial number with a bar-code reader when we pack an order. This greatly reduces errors compared to manual-entry.

-Uwe-

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Don't you have a bar code reader on your phone? :)

Assuming it is originally from our inventory (and not from one of the European distributors who also do final assembly) it's just the serial number printed on the label, for example HC123456. We apply the bar code at the same time as the main label with the human-readable so we can scan the serial number with a bar-code reader when we pack an order. This greatly reduces errors compared to manual-entry.

-Uwe-

Oh, didn't think about it :)

Well, it's from the official European distributor, "Autotestas" I believe. Bought it almost a decade ago or so..

Thanks for info :)

Back