Module 53(parking brake) and A9(Soundaktor) not 'initialized' on 2018 S6. Help wanted

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Tried to change some settings on both modules, and modules accepted everything (including security code for the brake one), but after the window asking if you were sure of the changes, the exact following message popped up in both modules:

"This appears to be an uninitialized module; valid WSC/Importer/Equipment data may be required.

Click [yes] for VCDS to use default values of 12345/123/12345.
Click [no] for VCDS to try the values currently in the module
Click [cancel] to go back and manually edit the values.
"

I clicked [cancel] to go back (although there's nowhere where to 'manually edit values') and leave everything unchanged. But what exactly does that mean the module is not 'initialized' when both obviously are, since they work? Not supported, perhaps? And is there any risk to try either 'yes' or 'no', to see if the coding works? If no, which one? Thanks.

As a side comment, without being able to access the 'hidden' (or 'green') menu on my 7.5 car, and people here not familiar with coding for them either, seems like I'm getting a lot less value from the cable than I wanted, but at least I was able to do some things. It seems to be a great value for 7.0 owners though. Hopefully new versions with more features for us 7.5 owners will pop up soon:).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Documented at the bottom of this page in the product manual.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/adaptation_screen.php

But you're right, in Adaptation, there's no way to manually edit those values. So on modules like these, that have Adaptation channels but no coding, if you wanted a to use your own values, you would have to set them on the User Interface and Identification tab of the Options screen first:

options-2.png

[Save] the values you want, followed by re-starting VCDS. Once you do that, VCDS will not let you change them again unless/until you delete the VCDS.CFG file.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As a side comment, without being able to access the 'hidden' (or 'green') menu on my 7.5 car, and people here not familiar with coding for them either, seems like I'm getting a lot less value from the cable than I wanted, but at least I was able to do some things. It seems to be a great value for 7.0 owners though. Hopefully new versions with more features for us 7.5 owners will pop up soon:).
We've been doing this for almost 18 years now. Whenever VW/Audi puts new-generation systems in their cars, it takes a while for people to figure out how to do things with them...

-Uwe-

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Thanks for the info on 'values', but I was just curious why there wasn't something where to put them after clicking 'cancel' where the window said it would. But don't worry; I'd have no freaking idea what the hell to put, so no worries there:D. And yes, I understand it takes a while to get ahead on these things, especially since auto manufacturers are making it harder and harder to do that.

At any rate, is there any risk on attempting to make those changes and using either 'yes' or 'no'? If the answer is no risk, do you recommend clicking 'yes', with those 12345/123/12345 'default' figures, or 'no' for the values 'currently in the module' (which are they)? I guess whatever I use would maybe 'initialize' the module, no? Please tell me if I'm in the right track. I could try the Soundaktor module first, since that has the least risk. Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, I would recommend trying it with the '12345' type values, and if that doesn't work, use some other, random, non-zero values on the Options screen. These values have no functional effect, they only provide record "who done it" with respect to changes.

-Uwe-

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Read the entire manual before receiving the cable, but without experience, don't remember going thru it. Thank you for pointing it out. Guess will have to read the manual again, especially the advanced part. Yeah, seems like there's no risk in using 'yes' with those warnings. I also need to start using the search function, especially with module 5F. When you fill the search field, so you press 'enter', or 'do it'? I see no key next to it except 'clear'. But if I have to play with it shoudln't hurt anything; should be easy to figure out how search works. Thanks. Will start with 'SIM', 'data', and 'data module' and see what I get.

Last edited:

kczach

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=123637
Read the entire manual before receiving the cable, but without experience, don't remember going thru it. Thank you for pointing it out. Guess will have to read the manual again, especially the advanced part. Yeah, seems like there's no risk in using 'yes' with those warnings. I also need to start using the search function, especially with module 5F. When you fill the search field, so you press 'enter', or 'do it'? I see no key next to it except 'clear'. But if I have to play with it shoudln't hurt anything; should be easy to figure out how search works. Thanks. Will start with 'SIM', 'data', and 'data module' and see what I get.

With the soundaktor I hit the yes button and everything went well. It never hurts to take a screenshot of your coding before you change anything. I did notice that you couldn’t go all the way to zero at once. I think I went to 10 percent and then down to zero (if I recall correctly).

Regarding the SIM card maybe you should contact the dealer to see if it’s not a hardware issue and not a software issue. Yes I’ve read your AZ posts regarding this issue. Some dealers can be unfriendly to people tweaking things on their car and will threaten to not cover it. I’ve even had them threaten to not cover an issue with an obd connector when I had a fuse added for my radar detector on my old S4.
Happy driving!

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Thanks for your help brother. Yeah, it's a small possibility something could have happened to the 'data module', since everything else is working perfectly. But all I did was to turn it OFF, and couldn't turn it back on because I can't access the AudiConnect menu anymore due to that error. If it was a hardware issue, which could only be the afforementioned data module, there would be a code, no? At any rate, I pay not to take my cars to dealers, since 100% of the time I've done that, they f**k something, typically leather scuffs/scratches, panel/console scratches, etc... and of course they always were there before the service. Anyway, since I'd never renew AudiConnect, unless something else happens to my car that I absolutely have to take it to the only dealer in town, I'll leave it as is even if I'm unsuccessful fixing the issue. As a side comment, at least other 2 owners had the same issue after a service, so I'm not the only one. Those folks never replied to know if and how their issue was fixed. Maybe the SIM car is bad, but since it's the second one, and I activated that one myself, I really doubt it. It's just that I turned off the data module. I never thought experts here and over AZ couldn't figure out how to turn it back on, but not a big deal. Will keep digging until I can hopefully find out what it is. And no, I'm not remotely worried about messing with trivial stuff like this at all. And salesman knows this hapened to my car and I'm trying to fix it, vs something I caused by messing with the coding; big difference. But yes, few dealers like owners messing with their cars. I don't touch the ECU, so should be fine. I'm an engineer, so probably have a bit more understanding that the average Joe, but certainly I'm not an electronic automotive one. He he. Hey, thanks a lot for your input on the initialization issue. When I put the Soundaktor at zero, everything went thru, but after the last 'are you sure?' screen that warning popped up. By the way, where is that damn thing? And did you notice any difference when muted? Thanks again for your great help:cool:.

Last edited:

AMBSC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233374
We've been doing this for almost 18 years now. Whenever VW/Audi puts new-generation systems in their cars, it takes a while for people to figure out how to do things with them...

-Uwe-

In my experience, green menu is not really useful for the facelifted A6/A7 line-up. 5F is more about coding/adaptation now.

Back