Not open for further replies.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hah!

Jake, if I actually cared, I'd set the time/date manually. :)

I know... but I NEED to know if it can be done... you know us Germans.... never let something go...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Obviously, since both of you hang out in here. ;)

As does Jack.

And all three of your names start with a 'J'.

Coincidence? :confused:

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Just don't say one of our names 3 times :p

J1l1BFq.gif

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hah!

Jake, if I actually cared, I'd set the time/date manually. :)

You're going to have to - that option isn't available on C6 and I suspect I'll get the same answer for D3.
And now I can sleep tonight without wondering.... :rolleyes:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Which kinda validates my original question: Why the hell not? :D

Engineering phone number are in the 4XXX range.
Pretty sure Art's extension is 4666.

Ironically if you set module 17's adaptation channel 19 to 1 it will sync with DCF77
Mainflingen is a hell of a long way away, so you better get a bigger sharkfin :p

Also ironically I answered my own question. In 2012 !!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The lamp on my bedside table comes on at exactly sunrise - calibrated to my stratum 1 redundant time servers.

The light in my bedroom comes on at exactly sunrise every morning...calibrated to my stratum ZERO atomic time source located about 93 million miles away. :p

Glad to see that I'm not the only person geeky enough to get off the Concorde in London and make a beeline to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich to see the Shepherd's Gate Clock in person and synchronize my watch. I also took pictures of the former BBC atomic clock at the Science Museum.

Ironically, I was looking at what it would take to construct an NTP digital clock for my office just last week. My assistant restores and collects old pendulum clocks, and the one he has over his desk just doesn't belong in a high-tech office space. Hence, wanting to make my own clock to trump his..... :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Glad to see that I'm not the only person geeky enough to get off the Concorde in London and make a beeline to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich to see the Shepherd's Gate Clock in person and synchronize my watch. I also took pictures of the former BBC atomic clock at the Science Museum.
I like it! I'll add those to my itinerary if I ever get over there.

Ironically, I was looking at what it would take to construct an NTP digital clock for my office just last week. My assistant restores and collects old pendulum clocks, and the one he has over his desk just doesn't belong in a high-tech office space. Hence, wanting to make my own clock to trump his..... :)
A real nerd would discipline a pendulum clock with NTP. The NTPD guys already know how to do clock slew (tiny adjustments to the clock tick rate) instead of outright time corrections. You could use that along with a small servomotor somewhere to tweak spring tension or whatever it is you do to calibrate the rate of time passage on pendulum clocks. The real challenge would be tracking the pendulum clock's mechanical state, i.e., what time it's displaying. The gear teeth might be big enough to serve as encoder wheels for an optical pickup. Or, put a small camera in the works and do some image processing.

In fact, I'm sure some nerd somewhere has done this already if I were to search for it. It was just a fun thought exercise.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
A real nerd would discipline a pendulum clock with NTP.

I smell an Arduino project for this winter :cool:
Hall effect sensor...

My next major purchase will be a fine mechanical clock... which will remain unmolested.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
A real nerd would discipline a pendulum clock with NTP.

Sounds too much like replacing a carburetor with throttle body injection! :p I'd rather take a color TFT display and graphically generate a pendulum at the correct frame rate. ;)

I wanted to build an atomically-synchronized Roman water clock in a three story atrium at work, but nobody else liked the idea.

Here's something that would make a great alarm clock:

640px-Modern_water_clock.JPG

The only problem is that I fear the sound of running water all night would subconsciously lead to multiple trips to the bathroom..... :(

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Sounds too much like replacing a carburetor with throttle body injection!
Nah... think of it like keeping the carburetor but adding servomotors at the idle and main jet screws (and I guess an O2 sensor somewhere in the exhaust path). You'd keep the old-school mechanism, but use hidden modern feedback controls to keep it in perfect adjustment.

I wanted to build an atomically-synchronized Roman water clock in a three story atrium at work, but nobody else liked the idea.
The Children's Museum in Indianapolis has a three-story water clock, the largest in the nation. It's mesmerizing... when we took the family there, I spent probably 30 minutes watching it work and trying to fully understand it.

I used to have one of those rolling ball clocks growing up, pretty neat to watch as well.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nah... think of it like keeping the carburetor but adding servomotors at the idle and main jet screws (and I guess an O2 sensor somewhere in the exhaust path). You'd keep the old-school mechanism, but use hidden modern feedback controls to keep it in perfect adjustment.
Yeah, that's sorta how VW added Lambda Control to CIS-injected cars in the early 1980s. An oxygen sensor, a little control box that generated a PWM output, which controlled a Frequency Valve that bled pressure from the mechanica fuel metering unit.

fi-diagram-80on-web.jpg

I loved CIS injection. A lot of people found it incomprehensible, but all you needed to trouble shoot it was some pressure gauges and a multimeter.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I loved CIS injection. A lot of people found it incomprehensible,

Yep, same here.
A welder we both know thought it was the devil incarnate :rolleyes:

but all you needed to trouble shoot it was some pressure gauges and a multimeter.

Something everyone should still have and know how to use properly.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The only problem is that I fear the sound of running water all night would subconsciously lead to multiple trips to the bathroom..... :(

Dammit - I keep coming back to this picture and wanting that. [19" rack Jason... see where I'm going here?]

The water running wouldn't bother me.
The older I get the more trips I need to make anyway... :rolleyes:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Dammit - I keep coming back to this picture and wanting that. [19" rack Jason... see where I'm going here?]

Good eye! I didn't even realize that it was in a 19" relay rack until you pointed it out!

Instead of water, how about three different sized marbles and three solenoid gates at the top? The software would have to compensate the marble release time to account for the time to hit the measuring collector at the bottom, plus account for the slightly shorter distance traveled as marbles pile up.

The one gotcha that I foresee is flushing the seconds marbles after 59. I do not think that a solenoid gate at the end of that tube could dump 59 marbles in the ~ two second interval until the next minute's 1 marble is entering the top of the tube. Maybe have two seconds tubes and calibrate the times accordingly? You could always put a second gate at the top of the seconds tube, so that the 1 ball doesn't enter until the bottom gate is closed, but that would effect accuracy and the whole point of this exercise in my mind is to make a Rube Goldberg contraption that's insanely accurate.....

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'm with Uwe..........

CIS was about the easiest most reliable system I believe........... if kept clean and seals in good shape.....

My favorite was when a system would come in not diagnosed properly............... was the labeling of the lines and injectors.

It's CIS you dope.............. they all fire at the same time. Hence Continuous Injection system!

Most used system on aircraft without error!

When I was 16 I converted a 72 chevelle with a small block 350 using two fuel distributors from the audi 5000 and a dual quad Carbs dummied for the TP........high rise intake drilled out for the air shroud certs.

Worked like a champ and was soooooooo smooth.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
That does indeed look like a 19" rack, although I think our datacenter staff would probably frown on having several gallons of glass-contained liquid above the raised floor.

The one gotcha that I foresee is flushing the seconds marbles after 59. I do not think that a solenoid gate at the end of that tube could dump 59 marbles in the ~ two second interval until the next minute's 1 marble is entering the top of the tube.
I don't think your typical water/marble clocks try to give you an accurately readable seconds display (at least, not using water/marbles). That would be a pretty busy, noisy clock. The way the rolling marble clock design handles 60 minutes is with a five-marble one-minute accumulator and a twelve-marble five-minute accumulator, both of which you need to add to get minutes.

Jason

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I don't think your typical water/marble clocks try to give you an accurately readable seconds display (at least, not using water/marbles). That would be a pretty busy, noisy clock.

That's the point! I wanna hear seconds "tick" off! With a gate solenoid at the top being opened at the precise time that will result in each second ball clicking into the counting chute, it could be made pretty accurate. Throw in an accelerometer at the end of the counting chute to "feel" each tick as the ball hits, and it would be self-calibrating as well.

I'm sensing an Arduino project in the making...as if my 3D printer isn't enough fun..... :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Which kinda validates my original question: Why the hell not? :D
Happened to run across some tzdata updates and tweaks in some release notes for CUCM today. These changes are all since 2013. It might illustrate the complexity involved. Yeah, auto manufacturers should be able to handle this sort of thing in a high-line nav unit, but it would be difficult in anything less, particularly something that can't receive updates. It's not really that much computation, but the rule-set is complex and malleable.

Jason

Code:
- Africa/Cairo (Egypt) observes DST starting 2014-05-15 at 24:00.
 -- The 2014 Ramadan-based transitions are 2014-06-26 and 2014-07-31 at 24:00
 -- Africa/Casablanca and Africa / El_Aaiun's Ramadan transitions are 2014-06-28 at 03:00 and 2014-08-02 at 02:00.
- Antarctica/Troll is a new entry
- Asia/Istanbul (Turkey) began DST on 2014-03-31, not 03-30
- Europe/Istanbul (Turkey) began DST on 2014-03-31, not 03-30
- Europe/Simferopol (Crimea) switched to Moscow time on 2014-03-30 at 02:00 local time and will not observe DST
- Pacific/Fiji ended DST on 2014-01-19 at 02:00, not the previously-scheduled 03:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back