VW Eos convertible top controller

AMB_IV

Reaction score
Hello
I'm interested in your system to assist me with a VW convertible top repair. I've seen your page where you demonstrate the ability to read the sensor data. I would like to know if it can do more:
Can it re-initialize the controller? If the top is stopped part way, it will close, but it must be reset by a dealer.
Can the software operate the top from the laptop it is installed on?
I think that's all. If there are othe Eos specific features I should know about please comment
Thanks!!

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in your system to assist me with a VW convertible top repair. I've seen your page where you demonstrate the ability to read the sensor data. I would like to know if it can do more:
Can it re-initialize the controller? If the top is stopped part way, it will close, but it must be reset by a dealer.
Can the software operate the top from the laptop it is installed on?
I think that's all. If there are othe Eos specific features I should know about please comment

Thanks for your question. Hopefully this reply will help you :)

VCDS can perform the Basic Settings functions (sometimes called the emergency opening/closing) for the Eos convertible top, these Basic Settings will command a particular function to move a section of the top in one of two directions, open or close.

These functions will NOT use any of the feedback of the sensors of the convertible top system and there fore will NOT stop if there is a problem. This means if your hand is in the way .. it will attempt to crush your hand and if the top is in the wrong position, the top may become severely damaged.

Before we advise anyone to use these Basic Settings, we recommend to review the Ross-Tech wiki page VW Eos (1F) Convertible Top and verify there are no switch positions binaries that are out of place.

For the record, as an ex-VW/Audi dealer tech I have only had to use an emergency open/close function a few times to gain access to a section of the top for access to a component for repair, never to 'reset' the top. Fixing the fault(s) and clearing the codes has always worked for me....

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
There is a way where a scan tool, like VCDS, can be used to command individual steps of the top operation. However, when this is done, there are no safety checks performed by the car or scan tool... damage and destruction can occur. And even injury to body parts in the way of moving parts.

So while it can be done, it is something that should only be performed by some one who has proper training and experience for the Eos top.

AMB_IV

Reaction score
........it is something that should only be performed by some one who has proper training and experience for the Eos top.

I appreciate both comments and I understand the seriousness of your concerns.
I have a hole where the sunroof glass used to be.
I quoted the comment because it is been exceedingly difficult to find anyone with "proper training and experience". several dealer service departments have referred me to their body shops, body shops referred me to glass shops, glass shops referred me to ragtop shops, etc. I've gotten so much run-around that when one dealer did say they could do it, without emphasizing concern for the time/process, I question their integrity.

thank you for allowing me to vent my frustrations.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I am VW trained on Eos... twice. So VCDS customers do have access to some one with experience... but keep in mind, I'm some guy wearing underwear and socks in a basement, not at the car... there is only so much I'm comfortable with helping without being hands on at the car.

If the top is locked to the windshield frame and you are needing to operate the sunroof (open or close), then I don't see that to be too much of an issue. If the top is 43.8% open/closed, yeah, not something we want to jump into blindly.

Back