Advice on weaponry

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Y'all need to step up you're reloading game: :D

The guy who built this press is using it to reload custom 20mm round Vulcan shells for a home-built rifle that he designed. He claims that the shells have 1,030 grain bullets, with a muzzle velocity of approximately 3,100 fps and producing approximately 21,000 ft-lbs of energy. He also claims that theoretically the bullet will travel 4100 yards before dropping subsonic.....

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Kills on one end and cripples on the other.

That press is WAY overkill for reloading. I know many people look down on Lee equipment, but his reloading manuals have a ton of knowledge in the front.

He talks about his product development and how he used to face ads from competition showing how much stronger their presses were - you know, real man stuff.

So he turned the sides of his press down to 1/8" diameter on each side and published an ad showing it forming .50 cal brass

I like the guy's style and those carbide pistol dies work perfectly

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Yesterday, I thought up a fun and fairly meaningless challenge. Shoot one round from each of four different semi-auto 9mm pistols (Kahr CM9, Sig P290RS, S&W 910, Springfield XD 4") at the same target. I let Eric go first:

Wa9v6kr.jpg

Eric was suitably embarrassed but then presumably mumbled something in French about those four being my guns, home field advantage and whatnot. So next, he offered for me to come over to his lane where he was shooting his ridiculous Charter Arms 9mm revolver (dubbed the Chowder Arms, pronounced Frenchly as "Sh-oww-dare". I ended up shooting a tighter group than his earlier attempts (not pictured):

ccemlNj.jpg

It's the exception rather than the rule when I can outshoot Eric but I will take any bragging opportunities.

tezkFGy.png

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Don't sell yourself (and my gun) short; that second group was at 10 yds :)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
STILL not available in New Yorkistan, though..... :(

http://kitup.military.com/2016/12/pmag-marines-m27-m855a1-round.html

Marines to Get PMAG to Fix M27 Woes with M855A1 Round

POSTED BY: BRENDAN MCGARRY DECEMBER 20, 2016

Marines are free to use the PMAG at last.

In welcome news for many a Marine (and Magpul employee), the Marine Corps has finally approved the high-performing PMAG magazine for use on the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, as well as the M16A4 and M4 carbines.

As readers of this blog are well aware, the magazine is one of the best on the market and has long been used by special operations forces and soldiers.

The Corps banned the product in 2012 because of compatibility issues with the first-generation version of the magazine and the IAR.

The announcement to reverse this decision leaked out Monday. But it’s important to understand why — and as my colleague Matthew Cox explains over at Military.com — the reason is because the M27 with its existing magazine ran into reliability problems with the Army’s newer M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round.

To be clear, the decision was to ensure that some Marines receiving the M855A1 who are headed downrange wouldn’t face those reliability issues.

As Cox reports:

“The reason they did that is because when Marines are deploying forward, they are sometimes receiving M855A1, and we need to ensure they have the ability to shoot that round,” Chris Woodburn, deputy branch chief for the Marine Corps’ Maneuver Branch that deals with requirements, told Military.com in a Dec. 20 telephone interview.

“In terms of the cause analysis and failure analysis, that has not been done, but what we do know is that the PMAG works,” he said.

Officials at Magpul Industries Corp. were excited, to say the least.

“In light of the results from an enormous body of reliability and durability testing and 4 years of combat use, today it was announced that the PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M3 Window, in Black and Medium Coyote Tan (MCT), would be the official magazine of the entire United States Marine Corp,” the company said on its social media accounts on Monday.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I gotta get me one of these someday:

Cool in-depth explanation of how it works:

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I got an interesting email from @midwestgunworks.com this afternoon. Probably nothing mysterious about this for most folk who post on this thread, but for me it was amazing for a number of reasons - least of all because I have never heard of Midwest Gun-Works Inc..

Anyhow, it transpires that my apparent alter-ego - a guy called Kevin McGee - ordered some gun parts using my email as ID. So I come seeking your advice. Is this a normal practice in the good state of California (Kevin apparently lives in a place called "Mentone CA 29359")?

Second question - can anyone identify the parts in the invoice below that I have apparently ordered? What would these parts be used-for?

Third question - does 9095285746 look like a real Californian telephone number - probably fake?

Final, and most important question - what value is there for a citizen of California in using someone else's email address for this purpose (I'm not about to pay the invoice, so why do it)?

Don
Lj6ukYv.png

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Second question - parts - looks like the guy is buying replacement parts for his Shotgun - 12 Ga Remington Wingmaster
(https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870)

Third question - yep, looks legit on phone number to Mentone,CA or Ontario, CA (USA - not Canada)

Fourth question - got nothing on that one... Avoiding big brother in the Communist State of America? (CA? - which should be abreviated CSA - IMHO ;) )

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The ground truth from Google gives me the impression that the person who lives at the provided address is someone who enjoys hunting/fishing and would probably own a shotgun (but not own a level judging by the sloppy job that he did hanging the numbers on his front door):

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%207.40.51%20AM_zpshuamxhie.png

Note the fishing lure mailbox! (The only one that I have seen "in the wild", outside of the one in my office for email "phishing" education every fall):

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%207.39.12%20AM_zpsygftnbmo.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%207.39.59%20AM_zps1h0c6dpn.png

Speaking of phishing, could this be a scam/virus being transmitted in the form of a fake invoice? Did it arrive as an attachment? If so, scan your computer ASAP for malware/viruses!

He has a @hotmail.com email address according to "stalking" web sites. If yours is also on Hotmail, perhaps it is a simple typo and the company sent the order confirmation to the incorrect (aka: your) email address?

If you want to have some fun, you could always call him in your best Australian accent and pretend to be a government official from down under. Accuse him of trying to ship arms to Australia, where gun ownership is prohibited.....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Bruce/vreihen: Many thanks for the replies - I guess it's just one-of-those-internet-things. But in the unlikely event that I ever have a need to buy a Remington Wingmaster rifle, I now know where to get parts!!

Don

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Remington Wingmaster rifle,

Not a rifle (some would say not a gun ;) ). Rifle implies the barrel has rifling, which is not the case with the above *shotgun*.
maxresdefault.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^^^ WINS THE THREAD ^^^^^

:D :thumbs: :D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Not a rifle (some would say not a gun ;) ). Rifle implies the barrel has rifling, which is not the case with the above *shotgun*.

Eric: I just learned my first piece of information about weaponry - who would have guessed that rifling the barrel of a shotgun would defeat the purpose of a shot gun?

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I wonder if they have any franchising opportunities????? :p

https://www.yahoo.com/style/military-themed-restaurant-chain-scantily-181600761.html

A military-themed restaurant chain with scantily-clad waitresses is ready to take over America

Kate Taylor
Business Insider
December 27, 2016

A restaurant chain where waitresses wear crop tops and bullet belts is ready to take over America, thanks to the rise of the "breastaurant" and the election of Donald Trump.

The military-themed sports bar and restaurant chain Bombshells is preparing to expand from four locations in Texas to up to 100 restaurants across the country in the next five years, the New York Post reported on Tuesday.

Bombshells' sales grew a whopping 10.5% in the fourth quarter, parent company RCI Hospitality Holdings reported earlier in December.

The chain is benefitting from two factors — the popularity of racy breastaurant chains and the election of Donald Trump.

Bombshells' representative told the New York Post that the chain is not a breastaurant. However, with scantily-clad waitresses and annual "Snow Bunny Pageants," the concept has some clear similarities to chains like Hooters and Twin Peaks.

These similarities put Bombshells in a good position to thrive as the wider restaurant industry struggles. The breastaurant business has exploded in the last few years. By providing a provocative dining experience customers can't get elsewhere, chains like Twin Peaks (the fastest-growing American restaurant chain in 2014) and Bombshells have found a way to attract customers — something that's crucial as more and more customer are eating at home.

A more recent boost for Bombshells' business was the election, according to the company's most recent earnings call.

"I think overall the election is turning out to be very, very positive for us so far," Eric Langan, the CEO of RCI (which also owns six nightclub concepts), said on a call with analysts in December.

Langan said that the company is "very excited" about the nomination of Andy Puzder, the CEO of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's parent company, as secretary of labor. Puzder, who is no stranger to utilizing scantily-clad women in advertising himself, is expected to cut regulation and reduce costs in the restaurant industry.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
A pair of fun slo mo videos from yesterday's range trip:

I tried a few times to shoot two small targets at once and got close but no cigar. Eric didn't succeed either but it was fun.

Someone left a full soda can on the rifle range which proved to be no match for Eric's Shield.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Also from the range trip, What could be better than one sub-optimal type-caliber pistol from a sub-optimal company? Why doubling down for an upgrayedd of course.

Back