Thread: Component protection

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Component protection

Hello there. Is it possible to open component protection with vcds? If so how?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TASKIN52 View Post
    Hello there. Is it possible to open component protection with vcds? If so how?
    Taskin:hi and welcome to the forum (I note that you are a "new user"). That's a very good question which I'm positive that someone here will easily answer after we see what type of equipment is in your car. Can you post up a copy of your auto-scan please

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2016 golf7. For example, can I run this with the active info display taxis without vcds without this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moved to Pre-Sales Support.

VCDS does not do Component Protection. I don't think there is any real solution for component protection in the aftermarket. Some tools claim to do it on some modules, but my understanding is what they do is a work-around that has negative side effects.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

5. Likes drennie599, DrPeter liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good cruise Control takarsam rosstech enough to do the encoding found on the wiki

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, you can't do it in VCDS.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Thank you

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe
    VCDS does not do Component Protection. I don't think there is any real solution for component protection in the aftermarket. Some tools claim to do it on some modules, but my understanding is what they do is a work-around that has negative side effects.
    Do you know why that is? Is it due to some kind of encryption or key/signature system that's not practical to reverse engineer? I've been curious about this since I bought my car. I can't find ANY explanation for how the system works outside of the factory SSPs, and nobody is even willing or able to say what's so difficult about cracking it. If it's simply a matter of it being based on something like a public key encryption system, why won't anyone just say so?