Patent application process?

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I was having a brainstorming session a few hours ago, and accidentally figured out how to make a new sensor with a sizable market potential. After seeing my oil change dry-sump cartridge idea stolen in the Castrol thread, I seriously think that I should patent this one as my wife's retirement nest egg:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?9776-CASTROL-REINVENTS-THE-OIL-CHANGE-WITH-NEXCEL&p=90168&viewfull=1#post90168

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?9776-CASTROL-REINVENTS-THE-OIL-CHANGE-WITH-NEXCEL&p=90290&viewfull=1#post90290

I did a simple search on the USPTO web site, and there was nothing even remotely similar.

Has anyone here been through the process? Is it best to file it myself, or enlist one of the patent "agencies" such as the one that George Foreman peddles on TV? How about international patents? Trying to figure out where to start.....

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Tell me your idea, and I'll tell you if it's worth the effort of patenting it...

:D

Personally, I'd find a REPUTABLE agency/professional, who are possibly less likely to miss something important. I'd be almost gauranteed to do it wrong myself. :thumbs:

But then I've never looked into it before, either.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
vreihen: Doubtless as Uwe will attest - Patents are only effective for those who choose to obey the law! My advice, start the Patent procedure and lodge your application - then tell the Chinese your idea. If they start copying it , then you are onto a winner -spend the money and complete the patent process!!:thanks:

Don
PS: Oh -and when your invention goes viral you become a billionaire, and thoughts of Presidential aspirations start to enter your mind (as they apparently do up there) - don't forget about us little-people who knew you once as just plain vreihen!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
vreihen: Doubtless as Uwe will attest - Patents are only effective for those who choose to obey the law! My advice, start the Patent procedure and lodge your application - then tell the Chinese your idea. If they start copying it , then you are onto a winner -spend the money and complete the patent process!!:thanks:

I do not believe that RT has any patents, only trademarks and copyrights. I may be wrong, though.

PS: Oh -and when your invention goes viral you become a billionaire, and thoughts of Presidential aspirations start to enter your mind (as they apparently do up there) - don't forget about us little-people who knew you once as just plain vreihen!

I already told you Don, when I am elected Supreme Allied Commander of the Universe (TM), :D you will have your choice of minister-level cabinet positions to choose from. Oh, and RT will have a Bugatti Chiron in their new corporate towers lobby for testing.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I just realized that I need to check my HR file at work, to make sure that I did not sign an IP (intellectual property) clause when I was hired 32 years ago.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Trying to figure out where to start.....
An IP attorney.

I do not believe that RT has any patents, only trademarks and copyrights. I may be wrong, though.
Correct. We did file an application for something related to the HEX-NET, but it didn't fly.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
vreihen: Doubtless as Uwe will attest - Patents are only effective for those who choose to obey the law!
Yep. Same is true of trademarks and copyrights.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yep. Same is true of trademarks and copyrights.

It sure is ..............:cool:

A good lawyer once said an interesting hypothetical scenario without firing a shot.
Sometimes you can patent, trademark or copyright something lawful, just to get someone's attention & force them to the squared circle; to fight for vapors or over their unlawful licensed product & further "serve" them when they thought they "served" you..........

The result is "You've been served a soft-serve!"

The beauty is............Any stipulation you sign that was done by an unlawful pursuit to protect their fraud on the court, never goes away and can be vacated or even prosecuted without limitation.
Meanwhile you got made whole to go away & if it ever went to court the fraud guy loses big time.

That's why I believe in the "Vero" system on eBay.........It protects IP stuff!

https://definitions.uslegal.com/f/fraud-on-the-court/

https://www.justice.gov/civil/report-fraud

Those are WORDS you can take to the BANK!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
A good lawyer once said an interesting hypothetical scenario without firing a shot.

Kicking the hornets' nest lesson aside, does that lawyer do good work for a reasonable fee...and do they process patents regularly????? :)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes ..........there are many IP lawyers out there Art.
Legal zoom has about the easiest cheapest templates to streamline the process application.

Back