Will the vag-com work as a generic ob2 scanner on non vw cars? I.e. Ford, GM

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Maybe. ;)

If you have a CAN-capable interface, it should work on any 2008 and newer model car sold in the US market, because they were required to do generic OBD-II via CAN.

On older cars, it's more complicated. There were three older standards for the physical layer, implemented on different pins of the OBD-II connector. These were ISO 9141 (K-Line), SAE J1850-VPW (the "GM standard") and SAE J1850-PWM (the "Ford standard"). Our K-line interfaces support the first of these, but none of our interfaces support flavor J1850 because no VW-Audi Group car ever used those for anything.

All that said, there's no harm in trying it on any car, but we don't guarantee any functionality whatsoever on any car that's not a VW-Audi Group product.

-Uwe-

rhinopower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=58979
Mine worked fine on a 1999 GM(Vauxhall), diagnosed faulty lambda sensors etc

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hey! Feature request! :confused: :popcorn:
Nope. The newest cars that uses J1850 (either flavor) are already almost 10 years old, and generic OBD-II scan tools that work with them are ubiquitous and dirt cheap.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Disnyguy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=331497
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the information
I will be getting the VCDS-Mobile, but karma had something else in mind.
My 13 golf was side swiped by a tractor trailer on the interstate. Now it is at the body shop.
I'm to new to post pictures but everyone walked away with the driver only having a mild concussion
The cops were amazed no one was injured. So the money is going to my deductible for now.

bierhedd

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-060231
Sorry for reviving an old thread but this is a follow-up question -

Say I use vagcom with the enthusiast cable to a non-VAG car, and it works... For the purpose of the question K-Line protocol. Will the live data graph and dump to CSV work for basic OBD2, or would that function only work with VAG cars?

I want the enthusiast cable for a mk6 golf but the ability to dump live data from my other cars would be a bonus and make me commit to the purchase.

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Say I use vagcom with the enthusiast cable to a non-VAG car, and it works... For the purpose of the question K-Line protocol. Will the live data graph and dump to CSV work for basic OBD2, or would that function only work with VAG cars?

I want the enthusiast cable for a mk6 golf but the ability to dump live data from my other cars would be a bonus and make me commit to the purchase.
Yes, assuming VCDS talks to those cars in generic OBD-II mode (something we do not guarantee!), you can view, log, and graph whatever live data PIDs they support.

-Uwe-

Back