Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: RCD330

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    I once wanted to buy this, but seller said it didn't have support for Dynaudio.

Been messing around with vcds settings with a rcd330g (aka plus) 187b unit installed in a mk6 golf r that had Dynaudio sound system and rns315 factory installed.

Looks like the way amps work, you do need to select a sound system in byte 1, or eventually things will crap out. The explanation is here http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....ll=1#post79167

Because the radio uses the same physical output wires (the speaker wires) for low level and high level output internally there is an electronic switch that switches the preamp to output to the speakers wires to go to the Dynaudio amp or the main Amp power amp output to the speaker wires (no Dynaudio).

So you can see if you leave it coded to Dynaudio the pre amps are driving their little transistors off to drive your huge speakers and eventually they will give up the ghost.

Apparently if an amp is fitted (dynaudio) the output stage power is 12db (which i am guessing the unit is set to now as the volume levels are greatly reduced compared to the RCD510). The output level needs to be changed to 26db via VCDS as shown in http://www.my-gti.com/1411
    Now the interesting thing is of all the options available in byte 1, vcds won't accept (will through an out of range error) dynaudio or vokswagen sound systems. It does accept skoda sound system, but i still think the sound is worse than with the rns 315.

Question is, is the out of range error result of vcds lack of knowledge on the rcd330g unit, or does indeed mean that the rcd330g radio does not support any amp except skoda's ? And are the skoda and dynaudio amps any different? Will something break if setup one way (skoda sound system) or the other (sound system not installed?)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    read in other forums that obdeleven will let coding byte 1 with 01 or 05. Is there a way to enable experimental mode or to force coding that byte on 56 radio?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iceorbital View Post
    read in other forums that obdeleven will let coding byte 1 with 01 or 05. Is there a way to enable experimental mode or to force coding that byte on 56 radio?
    Sure, you can change any byte you wish, whether it's documented or not.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    before you go into the long code helper, there will be the long code string.

let's take the long code 01FF02A0

isolate the byte you need changing (i.e. FF in hexadecimal, so that is binary 11111111) you can find any hex/dec/bin converter of your liking. my personal favourite is microsoft excel, commands HEX2BIN() and BIN2HEX(). remember to always add an 8 and 2 in the parameters to have 8 decimal digits and 2 hexadecimal numbers.
    then obey the order of bits to be 76543210. i.e. we need changing byte 5. then we'll have 11011111. convert back to HEX gives DF.

so the new long code is
    01DF02A0

paste it back in the coding screen of vcds... and we're there. fingers crossed for the coding to be accepted.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks iichel and uwe. turns out odbeleven also won't code byte 1 to 01 or 05, so i guess i'm back where i was :S

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iceorbital View Post
    thanks iichel and uwe. turns out odbeleven also won't code byte 1 to 01 or 05, so i guess i'm back where i was :S
    This is disappointing as the audio levels with fender is the only reason I pulled this unit from my car. If anyone ever figures it out I will put it back in as I was quite happy with every other aspect of it.