You can find this chart here.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ Very good video (IMO), but just a note of caution - professionals (like the folk @ RT and Charles-the humble mechanic) correctly invest in good test equipment because it makes commercial sense to do so.What this means is that when these types of videos are made, there is an implicit assumption that what the meter reads is actually correct - and in most videos, the reading is correct (to the accuracy of the meter)

However unless Joe-average is an enthusiast, he/she generally has less financial justification when choosing which multi-meter to buy. But this notwithstanding, Joe-average generally has the same unshakable degree of confidence in the reading shown on the meter screen and on lots (most?) domestic multi-meters this confidence is misplaced .

The particular issue when "domestic" multi-meters are used for parasitic leakage analysis is that the test numbers are usually very small and this exacerbates the meter inaccuracy issue (which is further complicated by the noisy electrical environment in which the test is performed). This reading inaccuracy (@ small volt-drop numbers) makes the current draw number from the reference table in the video somewhat fungible (in my bitter experience)!

So, if I may interpose a further point of complication to an otherwise excellent video - certainly do all the multi-meter tests shown in the video as a precursor to measuring the volt-drop across the fuse, but consider also that multi-meters sometimes tell deliberate lies (it's not their fault)! Even if your preliminary multi-meter tests are successful - just because the meter screen says 3 milli-volts, doesn't mean that the volt-drop is actually 3 milli-volts!

Don

Last edited:

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
^ Exactly, which is why we should always remember to compare the measured value with the table. ;-)

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
- just because the meter screen says 3 milli-volts, doesn't mean that the volt-drop is actually 3 milli-volts!

Don

Don, I could not agree more. Can't tell you how many times in my career a technician working with me gave me a reading number just because the meter said so... And then when I shorted the leads together - where the meter should read 0volts - I showed that the meter had an inaccuracy.

Bad leads can change your numbers guys. Bad meters can change your numbers. Your meter itself should be checked regularly if you are going to do millivolt measurements.

Voltage drop tests can be a help but be skeptical of results... Learn your gear and know what it can/cannot do for you. Practice doing voltage drop tests on known good systems before you have the confidence that on a screwed up system, the measurement you take is the Gold standard of measurements. It likely is not!

Oh, and one more thing - the shorter the leads to the meter - the more likely the measurement will be accurate.

Have fun out there!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^^^ Very good video (IMO), but just a note of caution - professionals (like the folk @ RT and Charles-the humble mechanic) correctly invest in good test equipment because it makes commercial sense to do so.What this means is that when these types of videos are made, there is an implicit assumption that what the meter reads is actually correct - and in most videos, the reading is correct (to the accuracy of the meter)

However unless Joe-average is an enthusiast, he/she generally has less financial justification when choosing which multi-meter to buy. But this notwithstanding, Joe-average generally has the same unshakable degree of confidence in the reading shown on the meter screen and on lots (most?) domestic multi-meters this confidence is misplaced .

The particular issue when "domestic" multi-meters are used for parasitic leakage analysis is that the test numbers are usually very small and this exacerbates the meter inaccuracy issue (which is further complicated by the noisy electrical environment in which the test is performed). This reading inaccuracy (@ small volt-drop numbers) makes the current draw number from the reference table in the video somewhat fungible (in my bitter experience)!

So, if I may interpose a further point of complication to an otherwise excellent video - certainly do all the multi-meter tests shown in the video as a precursor to measuring the volt-drop across the fuse, but consider also that multi-meters sometimes tell deliberate lies (it's not their fault)! Even if your preliminary multi-meter tests are successful - just because the meter screen says 3 milli-volts, doesn't mean that the volt-drop is actually 3 milli-volts!

Don

TL;DR: Don't use a $15 multimeter from Harbor Freight for this. :thanks:

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
This technique is all very well but not all fuses have the connectors exposed for external measurement with a meter.:(

If you look at the video, most of the small fuses at the top don't have the external contacts although there are some pink ones that do.

Certainly, in my A8, ALL the small fuses on both sides of the dash don't have the contacts for measurement.

Julian

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This technique is all very well but not all fuses have the connectors exposed for external measurement with a meter.:(

jcuBhM8.jpg

:rolleyes:

If one does run into this issue, then I think the correct solution would be to buy new fuses with test ports. Fuses are pretty cheap. The ones without test fuses are still good, toss them into an empty Altoids tin for later use.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I did some testing a while ago. Riveting stuff (yeah, the hours fly by :rolleyes:)

This was current measured by direct connection (i.e. not with a non-intrusive current clamp, the meter was in series with the negative battery clamp.)

Skip to 3:30 where the 'fun' starts. You hear some relays in BCM2 dropping and the current drawn drops accordingly. What astonishes me is the final quiescent current value is around 7mA! Each flick to 10mA is in unison with the alarm LED flash too. In that 7mA, the alarm antennas are still 'listening' for the key fob press, the door handles waiting for a touch to open; and every device inside the car that can be woken up by a button press - still needs to have its circuitry powered. 7mA. My.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What astonishes me is the final quiescent current value is around 7mA! Each flick to 10mA is in unison with the alarm LED flash too. In that 7mA, the alarm antennas are still 'listening' for the key fob press, the door handles waiting for a touch to open; and every device inside the car that can be woken up by a button press - still needs to have its circuitry powered. 7mA. My.
That's good. ~5 AH per month. Car should still start after sitting un-driven for a goodly fraction of a year.

But what I'd like to know is why the heck it sucks down almost 10 amps for over 3 minutes, after you've locked it? That's the equivalent of 3 more says of sitting un-driven!

-Uwe-

DAGWOOD1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=516340
LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION PROVIDED. HAVE A PLETHORA OF METERS TO CHOSE FROM MY FIRST BLUEPOINT DVM TO THE MOST RECENT FLUK OR SNAP ON DVM IN MY SERVICE TRUCK. WILL HAVE THE CAR IN THE SHOP TOMMOROW SLEEPING. WILL TAKE SOME READINGS THEN.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION PROVIDED. HAVE A PLETHORA OF METERS TO CHOSE FROM MY FIRST BLUEPOINT DVM TO THE MOST RECENT FLUK OR SNAP ON DVM IN MY SERVICE TRUCK. WILL HAVE THE CAR IN THE SHOP TOMMOROW SLEEPING. WILL TAKE SOME READINGS THEN.
Can we ask you a favor? Fix your Caps Lock key. It seems to be stuck. ;)

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Reactions: Uwe
Back