VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
But 2005 Seat Leon i had was edc15vp+ ECU with VIN and IMMO3.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

tdijetta99

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26025
NAR got the PD engine in 2004 so the 02-03 cars are still ALH. My 03 ALH knows the VIN

Reactions: Uwe

estrace

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95861
If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask right here.

Dear Uwe,

I am using a HEX+CAN USB interface since 2009 on several VAG cars (2009 VW Toureg, 2015 VW electric eUp!, 2001 Audi Allroad + several other VW) without any problems whasoever but I am now changing my 2009 Toureg for a new 2017 Audi Allroad and I want to know if my older interface will still Fully work on this new car or if I must buy one of your latest interfaces????
I understand that the new interface is faster than my old one but if the old interface does the same as the old one on my new car, I have no problems with the slower speed.
I have fully understood that contrary to my old interface, the new ones allow only a limited number of cars, I have no problem with that either.
I only want to be sure that I can still have the full capability of your VCDS software on my new car just like I had on the older ones and if it really mean buying a new interface, so be it.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Best regards

Serge CAMPLAN, a happy customer since 2009

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am using a HEX+CAN USB interface since 2009 on several VAG cars (2009 VW Toureg, 2015 VW electric eUp!, 2001 Audi Allroad + several other VW) without any problems whasoever but I am now changing my 2009 Toureg for a new 2017 Audi Allroad and I want to know if my older interface will still Fully work on this new car or if I must buy one of your latest interfaces????
I would expect that a 2017 Allroad (based on the new A4 chassis) will have at least one module in it that a HEX+CAN cannot communicate with -- 46-Central Convenience. Depending on how the car is equipped, there may be a few other modules as well.

My suggestion is always: Keep the old interface until you get the new car, then post an Auto-Scan with the old interface first.

-Uwe-

estrace

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95861
I would expect that a 2017 Allroad (based on the new A4 chassis) will have at least one module in it that a HEX+CAN cannot communicate with -- 46-Central Convenience. Depending on how the car is equipped, there may be a few other modules as well.

My suggestion is always: Keep the old interface until you get the new car, then post an Auto-Scan with the old interface first.

-Uwe-

Thanks, Uwe, When I get the new car, I will do that and let you know, and then décide if I change my interface

Regards

Serge

Jack

Reaction score
Second Hand VIN-Limited interfaces

How does the VIN limit work on second hand interfaces? If someone buys a 3-VIN version of the HEX-V2 second hand, and three VINs are registered, can they get three fresh VIN slots to use? Presumably not.

What if they pay the $99 licence transfer fee? Will that let them use the interface?

If not, then I guess second hand purchasers would need to buy the 3 to 10-VIN upgrade option for $169, or make very sure there is at least one VIN left when buying?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How does the VIN limit work on second hand interfaces? If someone buys a 3-VIN version of the HEX-V2 second hand, and three VINs are registered, can they get three fresh VIN slots to use? Presumably not.

What if they pay the $99 licence transfer fee? Will that let them use the interface?

If not, then I guess second hand purchasers would need to buy the 3 to 10-VIN upgrade option for $169, or make very sure there is at least one VIN left when buying?
If you buy second-hand, you're buying however many VINs are left on that license. Becoming a registered user for $99 would not affect this. However, I think we'd be amenable to including the registration transfer at no additional charge if a second-hand owner buys a VIN upgrade for $169.

Edit (2019-02-10): It's been brought to my attention that the struck-though text above is not what we ended up implementing. Instead, we created a "package deal" that includes the registration transfer (normally $99) and the VIN upgrade (normally $169) in a single transaction for $199. Note that only registered users are eligible to purchase VIN upgrades, so if you have a second-hand HEX-NET or HEX-V2 and need a VIN upgrade, you'll have to make this purchase in our store.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Is there an upgrade possible from HEX-NET to HEX-V2? Any fundamental differences other than it being faster?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there an upgrade possible from HEX-NET to HEX-V2? Any fundamental differences other than it being faster?
No, that would be a down-grade.

The HEX-V2 faster than our "legacy" interfaces, but it is not faster than a HEX-NET. The HEX-NET is still our "top-of-line" interface. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi module and without the storage that VCDS-Mobile requires. Their performance is identical when compared under the same conditions (HEX-NET running via USB).

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
No, that would be a down-grade.

The HEX-V2 faster than our "legacy" interfaces, but it is not faster than a HEX-NET. The HEX-NET is still our "top-of-line" interface. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi module and without the storage that VCDS-Mobile requires. Their performance is identical when compared under the same conditions (HEX-NET running via USB).

-Uwe-

Oh wow, didn't know that (although i never use wireless functions). Thanks for the info. Going for an unlimited upgrade then (at 9/10 VIN's).

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
HEX-NET to HEX-V2 would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. Those two interfaces are the same generation, and work essentially the same way and at the same speed when using VCDS Desktop. From a user perspective, the only difference is HEX-NET offers wireless and VCDS Mobile capability whereas HEX-V2 is wired USB only.

Perhaps did you mean a HEX-USB+CAN? Those are older, discontinued interfaces that are indeed slower than HEX-NET and HEX-V2. There is an upgrade program for those.

Edit: derp, didn't see Uwe already replied on the next page.

Heiko

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=297528
Protection of VIN "consumption" (VIN limited devices)

Hello,
when I lend my HEX-V2 (3 VIN) to friends, I'd like to make sure no additional VIN is used (poss. unintentionally).
Wouldn't it be a suitable idea to implement some kind of PIN access protection for occupying an additional VIN entry? e.g.
a) Selectable PIN: The user can define a PIN which is stored in the device (disadvantage: There must be some kind of backdoor in case the user forgets the pin)
b) Fixed PIN: Given to the user during registration process (e.g. derived from the devices serial number)

It does not need to be a NSA save 100% protection, it's just against "Ohhh... I'm sorry; I didn't know that I shouldn't have done this"

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello,
when I lend my HEX-V2 (3 VIN) to friends, I'd like to make sure no additional VIN is used (poss. unintentionally).
Wouldn't it be a suitable idea to implement some kind of PIN access protection for occupying an additional VIN entry? e.g.
a) Selectable PIN: The user can define a PIN which is stored in the device (disadvantage: There must be some kind of backdoor in case the user forgets the pin)
b) Fixed PIN: Given to the user during registration process (e.g. derived from the devices serial number)

It does not need to be a NSA save 100% protection, it's just against "Ohhh... I'm sorry; I didn't know that I shouldn't have done this"
We already have protection: VCDS explicitly asks the user whether it's OK to register that VIN. If you don't trust your friend, maybe you shouldn't lend him your interface? ;)

-Uwe-

joshd

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hi,
I have seen that quite many people are selling Genuine VCDS Ross Tech with unlimited VIN's, I think of buying one.
My question is, how can I check by myself if interface is with unlimited VIN's?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hi,
I have seen that quite many people are selling Genuine VCDS Ross Tech with unlimited VIN's, I think of buying one.
Are you absolutely 100% sure that they are genuine Ross-Tech VCDS cables? There are many sellers on auction websites and elsewhere who sell third party rip-offs not genuine Ross-Tech cables.

joshd

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
there are going for about £350, and yeah thats why I want to find out how to check if its genuine and second if unlimited VIN's. Anyone can help?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi,
My question is, how can I check by myself if interface is with unlimited VIN's?
Buy from one of our authorized resellers; they do not mis-represent product.

-Uwe-

Bettyswollocks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=123724
Think my post disappeared , I have a genuine vcds cable from ilexa purchased a few years ago Hex Usb Can which I assume is unlimited , is there a better/newer cable than this? I'm running newest software

Back