Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTommy View Post
    Is there an upgrade possible from HEX-NET to HEX-V2? Any fundamental differences other than it being faster?
    No, that would be a down-grade.

The HEX-V2 faster than our "legacy" interfaces, but it is not faster than a HEX-NET. The HEX-NET is still our "top-of-line" interface. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi module and without the storage that VCDS-Mobile requires. Their performance is identical when compared under the same conditions (HEX-NET running via USB).

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    No, that would be a down-grade.

The HEX-V2 faster than our "legacy" interfaces, but it is not faster than a HEX-NET. The HEX-NET is still our "top-of-line" interface. The HEX-V2 is basically a HEX-NET without the WiFi module and without the storage that VCDS-Mobile requires. Their performance is identical when compared under the same conditions (HEX-NET running via USB).

-Uwe-
    Oh wow, didn't know that (although i never use wireless functions). Thanks for the info. Going for an unlimited upgrade then (at 9/10 VIN's).

3. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterTommy View Post
    Is there an upgrade possible from HEX-NET to HEX-V2? Any fundamental differences other than it being faster?
    HEX-NET to HEX-V2 would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. Those two interfaces are the same generation, and work essentially the same way and at the same speed when using VCDS Desktop. From a user perspective, the only difference is HEX-NET offers wireless and VCDS Mobile capability whereas HEX-V2 is wired USB only.

Perhaps did you mean a HEX-USB+CAN? Those are older, discontinued interfaces that are indeed slower than HEX-NET and HEX-V2. There is an upgrade program for those.

Edit: derp, didn't see Uwe already replied on the next page.
    Silence gives consent.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Protection of VIN "consumption" (VIN limited devices)

Hello,
    when I lend my HEX-V2 (3 VIN) to friends, I'd like to make sure no additional VIN is used (poss. unintentionally).
    Wouldn't it be a suitable idea to implement some kind of PIN access protection for occupying an additional VIN entry? e.g.
    a) Selectable PIN: The user can define a PIN which is stored in the device (disadvantage: There must be some kind of backdoor in case the user forgets the pin)
    b) Fixed PIN: Given to the user during registration process (e.g. derived from the devices serial number)

It does not need to be a NSA save 100% protection, it's just against "Ohhh... I'm sorry; I didn't know that I shouldn't have done this"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    Hello,
    when I lend my HEX-V2 (3 VIN) to friends, I'd like to make sure no additional VIN is used (poss. unintentionally).
    Wouldn't it be a suitable idea to implement some kind of PIN access protection for occupying an additional VIN entry? e.g.
    a) Selectable PIN: The user can define a PIN which is stored in the device (disadvantage: There must be some kind of backdoor in case the user forgets the pin)
    b) Fixed PIN: Given to the user during registration process (e.g. derived from the devices serial number)

It does not need to be a NSA save 100% protection, it's just against "Ohhh... I'm sorry; I didn't know that I shouldn't have done this"
    We already have protection: VCDS explicitly asks the user whether it's OK to register that VIN. If you don't trust your friend, maybe you shouldn't lend him your interface?

-Uwe-

8. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I have seen that quite many people are selling Genuine VCDS Ross Tech with unlimited VIN's, I think of buying one.
    My question is, how can I check by myself if interface is with unlimited VIN's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    Hi,
    I have seen that quite many people are selling Genuine VCDS Ross Tech with unlimited VIN's, I think of buying one.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that they are genuine Ross-Tech VCDS cables? There are many sellers on auction websites and elsewhere who sell third party rip-offs not genuine Ross-Tech cables.

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are going for about 350, and yeah thats why I want to find out how to check if its genuine and second if unlimited VIN's. Anyone can help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    Hi,
    My question is, how can I check by myself if interface is with unlimited VIN's?
    Buy from one of our authorized resellers; they do not mis-represent product.

-Uwe-

14. Likes PetrolDave liked this post