Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: VIN-Limited Interface FAQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettyswollocks View Post
    Think my post disappeared , I have a genuine vcds cable from ilexa purchased a few years ago Hex Usb Can which I assume is unlimited , is there a better/newer cable than this? I'm running newest software
    Correct, the HEX-USB+CAN interfaces did not have VIN limitations. However, they do have some compatibility problems with certain 2016 and newer models, and all future development of VCDS is focused on the newer interfaces. That means support for new platforms, new control modules, and new features added to the software will require, for the most part, require the new interfaces.

A HEX-V2 or HEX-NET will be quite a bit faster on modern, CAN based cars (i.e. most cars made in the last 10-12 years).

Ilexa does offer some trade-in credit for their existing customers toward a new interface.

Whether there is a compelling reason for you to upgrade at this time, I can't say. This primarily depends on what kind of car(s) you're working on.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uwe,

I've got a HEX-V2 on its way through Gendan.

I was just wondering whether only looking at the available coding and adaptation options would count towards the VIN limit? Or would it only count once I press "Do it!" and actually change something?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesorlakin View Post
    I was just wondering whether only looking at the available coding and adaptation options would count towards the VIN limit? Or would it only count once I press "Do it!" and actually change something?
    The latter. You can look at Long Codings and Adaptations all you want. It is only when you save/store a change that you're required to register a VIN against the license. If you select [No], your change will not be saved.

Note that if when you access a module directly (i.e. outside of the Auto-Scan function), you'll be asked if you want to register that car's VIN. You can select [No] at that point and still get in.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Eric, jamesorlakin liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aah awesome. Thank you!

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2003 Passat TDi Pd that has been causing me lots of grief and now will not start after replacing lots of electrical components. Before throwing in the towel and scrapping the car, I want to check the Cam/PD injection timing. Would this use up one of my VIN number?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopperman View Post
    I have a 2003 Passat TDi Pd that has been causing me lots of grief and now will not start after replacing lots of electrical components. Before throwing in the towel and scrapping the car, I want to check the Cam/PD injection timing. Would this use up one of my VIN number?
    Since it's a PD, I don't think you need Basic Settings to do this, so the answer should be "No, it won't".

Remember, VCDS will always ask you before it registered a VIN against your license. So if in doubt, click [No] (which is the default).

-Uwe-

8. Likes Boki Ar liked this post