HEX-V2 Product Announcement / Introduction

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Happy New Year, folks!

It's 2017 now and we're unveiling or new generation wired product line, the HEX-V2.

This new, universal wired interface replaces our previous KII-USB, Micro-CAN, and HEX-USB+CAN interfaces. Those interfaces served us well for many years (in some cases more than a decade!) but their older architectures were inflexible and left us no room to grow.

The HEX-V2 works on all diagnostic-capable VW-Audi Group passenger cars. That means you no longer have to ask, "Which interface will work on my car(s)"? The only question will be, "How many cars do you intend to use it on?" Yes, there are VIN limits (just like in the 10-VIN HEX-NET). There will be a separate post discussing VIN Limits in detail, but the bottom line with them is: They allow us to offer this product to enthusiast/hobby users at a very attractive price; as low as $199 for the 3-VIN version. That's the same price we charged for our very first systems almost 17 years ago, and considerably less if you take inflation into account.

Improvements over previous generation interfaces:
  • Modern, 32-bit processor architecture with plenty of room for expansion.
  • Much faster in most operations on modern, CAN-based cars.
  • Does not need to be plugged into a car to load firmware updates.
  • Tri-color status LEDs with greatly improved visibility from almost any angle.
  • Improved OBD-II connector nose (small design changes plus improved plastic materials)
  • Enumerates as an HID device, meaning no device-specific driver is required.
  • Detachable USB cable, easily replaceable with a ubiquitous standard cable if it becomes damaged. This also improves flexibility as the days of standard "type A" USB sockets on computers seem to be numbered. There are already plenty of Windows tablets that can run VCDS that only have Micro-USB sockets, and it looks like USB-C might the up-and-coming standard for sockets.

Some of our distributors have been actively testing this product since September, but they weren't allowed to talk about it until now. Pretty much everyone who has had access to one has been impressed with it, especially its speed when scanning modern, CAN-based cars (meaning almost any car made in about the last 10 years).

Feel free to ask questions.

Oh, and of course, this post would be worthless without a picture, so:

HV2-Forum1.jpg

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Worthless without one ;) I thought it already had one :D

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Finally a picture :)

Now only need it for my three friends. Hope distributor here starts to sell it unlimited and ASAP. :)

Last edited:

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Any chance to get Unlimited one ?

you will protect it better than VCDS ?
I heard people sale VCDS CLONE with online update!!!! ..... how the hell is happening ?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Well done - a worthy addition to the Ross Tech stable and an excellent response to the changing competitive commercial environment!! Clearly, there will be a keen interest from existing KII-USB, Micro-CAN, and HEX-USB+CAN users (of which there must be many) as to whether there will be introductory offers!

Looking forward to reading more - soon please

Don

PS: An immediate question that comes to mind - what does HEX - V2 not do that HEX-NET does- other than the obvious cable-less features? Supplementary question - How do the two compare on a speed-test? Is serial number "000000" available for purchase?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Clearly, there will be a keen interest from existing KII-USB, Micro-CAN, and HEX-USB+CAN users (of which there must be many) as to whether there will be introductory offers!
There is no really compelling reason for people who own any of our older interfaces to upgrade until they get (or start working) on a car that their older interface doesn't support fully. Right now, such cars are still few and far between. They are the MLB-II platform (at the moment only the new Q7 and new A4) and perhaps a few 2016 and newer MQB cars that have utterly silly levels of equipment in them, but I can't even list that equipment with any degree of certainty yet.

Anyway, there's no trade-in upgrade program yet, but there will be one relatively soon.

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
What is this VIN Option: Three (3) different cars (VIN numbers) [$199.00] Ten (10) different cars (VIN numbers) [$299.00]?

What does the VIN Option do as the original VCDS HEX-USB-CAN shows VIN numbers.

https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

New, universal replacement for our previous KII & MicroCAN series of interfaces. So MicroCAN is now finished?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What is this VIN Option: Three (3) different cars (VIN numbers) [$199.00] Ten (10) different cars (VIN numbers) [$299.00]?
What does the VIN Option do as the original VCDS HEX-USB-CAN shows VIN numbers.
It limits the number of cars you can perform certain functions on. It's still in my queue to write a post explaining this in a comprehensive manner. However the concept is not new; the 10-VIN HEX-NET has been around for several years now, and only a very low (single digit) percentage of customers who bought at 10-VIN HEX-NET have used all 10 VINs.

New, universal replacement for our previous KII & MicroCAN series of interfaces. So MicroCAN is now finished?
Depends what you mean by "finished". It is still supported in new versions of the software, but we no longer sell that product. The Micro-CAN was introduced in 2006. That's a pretty long product life. :)

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Depends what you mean by "finished". It is still supported in new versions of the software, but we no longer sell that product. The Micro-CAN was introduced in 2006. That's a pretty long product life. :)

-Uwe-

Still have one HEX-CAN with DB9 ;) over 10 years ago sure

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
In a nut shell then using HEX + CAN Dual-K & CAN <-> USB I don't need to update at the moment!

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
One thing.

Is "Clear all faults" available on HEXv2? - It is not acailable on micro-can.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In a nut shell then using HEX + CAN Dual-K & CAN <-> USB I don't need to update at the moment!
Correct -- not until you encounter cars that the HEX+CAN isn't fully compatible with, i.e. a few 2016 and newer (pretty much all MLB-II and a few very highly optioned MQBs).

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
One thing.
Is "Clear all faults" available on HEXv2? - It is not acailable on micro-can.
I would think so, but I'll have to check to be absolutely sure.

-Uwe-

bluestar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=296157
1) Is the Hex-V2 a USB 2.0 device or USB 3.0? I'm hoping that you upgraded the USB interface to meet the current standards.

2) Is the Hex-V2 out of beta, or will there be physical product changes over the next few months? In other words, is this the final retail release?

3) Will it work with the current VCDS v16 software?

Thanks, and I'm excited about this new VCDS!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1) Is the Hex-V2 a USB 2.0 device or USB 3.0? I'm hoping that you upgraded the USB interface to meet the current standards.
It enumerates as an HID device. It's compatible with any USB port.

2) Is the Hex-V2 out of beta, or will there be physical product changes over the next few months? In other words, is this the final retail release?
It is not a Beta product, and we don't expect any hardware changes.

3) Will it work with the current VCDS v16 software?
Yes.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
Is hex-net still considered the 'premier' product or will this supersede hex-net moving forward?

Is there any foreseeable reason why someone with a hex-net would need or want to switch to hex v2?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Is hex-net still considered the 'premier' product or will this supersede hex-net moving forward?

Is there any foreseeable reason why someone with a hex-net would need or want to switch to hex v2?
HEX-V2 is quite literally a HEX-NET without the extra hardware needed for wireless or VCDS Mobile. It should perform identically to a USB-connected HEX-NET.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, the HEX-NET is still the top-of-the-line product.

I cannot imagine why someone would want to do that. They would be giving up WiFi and VCDS-Mobile and gaining absolutely nothing in terms of functionality.

HEX-V2 is quite literally a HEX-NET without the extra hardware needed for wireless or VCDS Mobile. It should perform identically to a USB-connected HEX-NET.
Conceptually yes, but not quite literally. The HEX-V2 does have a completely different circuit board. There is much commonality in terms of the CPU and the circuitry that communicates with the car, but the HEX-V2 does not have the WiFi module, the on-board storage, or the fancy power supply needed to support the power-hungry WiFi module and the low-power mode that allows a HEX-NET to be permanently installed in a car.

-Uwe-

mikeme

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=99408
open-screen.png

could you clarify, are operations in the basic function area unlimited, and those on the right side, advanced functions, subject to the VIN count?

Back