Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX-V2 Product Announcement / Introduction

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ Uwe, any thoughts to making the vin limits subject to an annual rolling count?

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement without making it possible to 'game', but I would like to see something how google/apple/amazon lets you add/remove various devices from your account subject to various time limits.

While this doesn't really affect me since I have unlimited hex-net, I would like to see something like;

- every rolling 12 months (or whatever timeframe you feel is most appropriate), the oldest vin can (but does not have to) be replaced with a new vin, automatically without having to take up precious support time.

This could be validated automatically on the back end via vcds to vcds-cloud, and you could still track all vin's internally to avoid abuse.

Essentially, I am asking you to allow for VIN's to automatically expire over time in an automated and secure manner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeme View Post
    could you clarify, are operations in the basic function area unlimited, and those on the right side, advanced functions, subject to the VIN count?
    As a general rule of thumb, yes. I've been meaning to (and it's still in my queue) to make a detailed post about VIN limits in its own thread.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    @ Uwe, any thoughts to making the vin limits subject to an annual rolling count?

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement without making it possible to 'game', but I would like to see something how google/apple/amazon lets you add/remove various devices from your account subject to various time limits.

While this doesn't really affect me since I have unlimited hex-net, I would like to see something like;

- every rolling 12 months (or whatever timeframe you feel is most appropriate), the oldest vin can (but does not have to) be replaced with a new vin, automatically without having to take up precious support time.

This could be validated automatically on the back end via vcds to vcds-cloud, and you could still track all vin's internally to avoid abuse.

Essentially, I am asking you to allow for VIN's to automatically expire over time in an automated and secure manner.
    Not feasible with the way this is currently implemented. Bear in mind that the devices Google, Apple, and Amazon make are close to always connected, whereas both the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET are essentially stand-alone devices when used as interfaces for VCDS.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Conceptually yes, but not quite literally. The HEX-V2 does have a completely different circuit board.
    HEX-V2 is quite figuratively a HEX-NET without the extra hardware needed for wireless or VCDS Mobile.

Better?

All I know is, when I plug one into my Phaeton, it just works. Which is more than I can say for my Phaeton, which shat its TCM last week. I'm hoping it's just a fuse but haven't had an opportunity to dig into it very much yet.

Jason

5. Likes Jetta ,97, Uwe, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not feasible with the way this is currently implemented. Bear in mind that the devices Google, Apple, and Amazon make are close to always connected, whereas both the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET are essentially stand-alone devices when used as interfaces for VCDS.

-Uwe-
    Sure, but VCDS could be used to authenticate/expire the VIN's whenever connected to the internet and validates with your servers.

In the case of no internet connection for VCDS, then no expiration or validation of new vins would be accommodated.

Thanks for the feedback, perhaps it could be kept in mind for future.

The main reason I bring it up, is if I were an existing customer with an older device, or a new customer choosing between an unlimited older device, and a newer device with permanent VIN limits, I would think twice about the new one and probably go with the old unlimited model.

Unless of course I needed the new model to support new a new vehicle, in which case I would simply be angry/frustrated at having to choose between old unlimited, and new restricted versions (or having to pay more for the unlimited).

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The HEX-V2 does have a completely different circuit board. There is much commonality in terms of the CPU and the circuitry that communicates with the car, but the HEX-V2 does not have the WiFi module, the on-board storage, or the fancy power supply needed to support the power-hungry WiFi module and the low-power mode that allows a HEX-NET to be permanently installed in a car.

-Uwe-
    Uwe: The capabilities and the limitations of the HEX-V2 are becoming clearer - thanks for the explanations.

I understand (I think) about the missing WIFI (with it's "fancy power supply") facility and the Low power mode, but a little intrigued about the "on-board storage" omission. What does this do on the HEX-NET that would not happen on the HEX-V2 and from a practical application perspective how would this deficiency become manifest to the user?

Don

PS: I assume in the fullness of time a simple "compare table" will be provided on the shopping page
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    Don, the on-board storage is used mainly for VCDS-Mobile. Amongst other things, this is where your VCDS-Mobile Auto-Scans are stored. in HEX-V2 there is obviously no VCDS-Mobile and so no need for storage.

9. Likes Uwe, Eric, DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    Don, the on-board storage is used mainly for VCDS-Mobile.
    I think it's safe to say that it's used exclusively for VCDS-Mobile. Not just for the scans and logs, but also for the data that VCDS-Mobile needs; the fault code database, the label files, and the ROD files for UDS modules. VCDS doesn't need any of that in the interface.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just seen this nice news .....
    https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN

i think that more customer of HEX-CAN+USB now will wait the opportunity to use the "The Upgrade Program Inteface" with HEX V2 Unlimited VIN

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So is there going to be an unlimited VIN (or professional) V2 available? Or is it just buy the 10 VIN product and use the upgrade path?