Reading Fault Codes takes forever and freezes the mouse

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Having used perfectly stable Vag Com/VCDS it was for more years than I would like to admit, it was a bit of a shock to start getting freezing and crashing on the last few versions. I use a few different laptops Win 7 and XP so am unable to help very much with the solution. I will install it on a very powerfull machine I have (i5 ssd etc) and see if that solves it.
HMC
Edit. I forgot to say that to get the frozen VCDS to close, I disconnect the interface and it closes straight away.

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Why would that have any bearing on this issue? I have been running WIN10 since day one and it was only in recent VCDS releases this issue has started. Why would a DTC stop the power to the port? Surely you would hear the device disconnect which I don't. I use USB on my devices at work and I have never had a port power down.
Sorry for trying to help :confused:

welshkaiboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-2H
Sorry for trying to help :confused:
Your post was helpful as it has made me aware of other USB issues that can occur elsewhere in my life. In a roundabout way I was trying to say nothing has changed in my set-up so either a WINDOWS update has upset something or or a VCDS update has upset something.
I am not here to upset people just help. :thumbs:

Reactions: Uwe

RestonGuy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=71670
You did not mention what type of USB port (USB2 or USB3) you were attaching the HEX+CAN connector to. You may want to try a machine with a USB2 port. I had similar trouble using USB3 ports on my laptop. Switched to available USB2 port on the same laptop and all was good after that.

welshkaiboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
H11-2H
I have tried both the USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports on my laptop, of which the issue of hanging on DTC's is no different. I normally use the USB2.0 port even though USB3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible. Is there any debug output that can be generated (special version of VCDS installed) which would help on this issue and the licence one(this one is more random)?

Delete the DTC's and autoscan runs no issue.

Back