Clean Diesel Readiness Status

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Clean Diesel Readiness Status (non UDS Controllers) - CBEA CJAA 2.0l CR-TDI

• This information can be very important for repair shops and owners of vehicles that are registered in states that conduct routine checks of the Diesel Readiness Status during their Smog Checks and/or Car Inspections.

• It also important to note that when the codes are cleared, this will reset the readiness bits and in order to reset the Clean Diesel Readiness Status it may be necessary to perform extended road tests or driving cycles. Setting the readiness bits for the DPF will require at least one DPF regeneration cycle.

• This Readiness information can be found in the [01-Engine] Measuring Value Blocks in the form of binary data. Below is a guide that will help you to read and understand the binary data.

Note: The information below is for non-UDS ECM controller, for UDS ECM Controllers it is suggested to check the Diesel
Readiness Status using the OBD-II function of the Ross-Tech scan tool.

Measuring Value Block Group [089] - EOBD (European On Board Diagnostics)

4gWeaRJ.png

Field 1 = 0000 0000 - EOBD Data A - (Fault codes stored and Check Engine Light Status)
x??? ???? - Fault code count in binary
?xxx xxxx - Check Engine Light On = [1], Off = [0]

Field 2 = 0000 0000 - EOBD Data B
?xxx xxxx - N/A
x?xx xxxx - Comprehensive component monitor readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xx?x xxxx - Fuel system monitor readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xxx? xxxx - Misfire monitor readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xxxx ?xxx - Ignition monitors - Spark or Compression , Supported Function = [1]
xxxx x?xx - Comprehensive component monitors, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xxxx xx?x - Fuel system monitor, continuous, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xxxx xxx? - Misfire monitor, continuous, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]

Field 3 = 0000 0000 - EOBD Data C – (Monitors that are supported)
?xxx xxxx - EGR/VVT System Monitor, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
x?xx xxxx - DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) Monitor, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xx?x xxxx - Exhaust Gas Sensor Monitor, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xxx? xxxx - Not used on diesel vehicles at this time
xxxx ?xxx - Indicates Boost Pressure System Monitor, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xxxx x?xx - Not used on diesel vehicles at this time
xxxx xx?x - NOx/SCR After-treatment Monitor, Supported Function = [1], Not Supported = [0]
xxxx xxx? - NMHC Catalyst Monitor, Supported Fuction = [1], Not Supported = [0]

Field 4 = 0000 0000 - EOBD Data D – (Readiness status of the supported systems)
?xxx xxxx - EGR/VVT System monitor readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
x?xx xxxx - DPF readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xx?x xxxx - Exhaust Gas Sensor monitor readiness status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xxx? xxxx - Not used on diesel vehicles at this time
xxxx ?xxx - Boost pressure system monitor readiness Status, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xxxx x?xx - Not used on diesel vehicles at this time
xxxx xx?x - Readiness status of NOx/SCR After-treatment Monitor, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]
xxxx xxx? - Readiness status of NMHC Catalyst Monitor, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]

- Abbreviations -
DPF = Diesel Particle Filter
NOx = Oxides of nitrogen
SCR = Selective catalytic reduction systems
NMHC = Non-methane hydrocarbons
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation
VVT = Variable valve timing

- Ignition Type -
Spark = Gasoline
Compression = Diesel

drpeter

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Just to add (since we have gotten a few inquiries lately), we have not found any way to use a scan tool to make these types of engine controllers set readiness in the bay. Instead actual drive cycle(s) would be required. Sorry, no readiness scripts for these. :(

Also if you live in a state where diesel vehicles are required to have emissions testing then this link may help. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Clean Diesel Readiness Status

It's only a clean diesel test if it's in the actual test mode to run the tests.

Field 4 = 0000 0000 - EOBD Data D – (Readiness status of the supported systems)
xxxx xxx? - Readiness status of NMHC Catalyst Monitor, Incomplete = [1], Complete = [0]

Can you find the hidden block or basic setting test......?

Time to visit the negative one water world.

Have you ever wondered why this bit for this specific test won't run while in dirty mode...... taking forever?
Further ever wonder why this test is not displayed in readiness screen, however, does on the OBD2 side?

These non UDS cars can run direct basic setting tests for readiness bits; or tests observed on a road test, or to see the drive cycle if in "clean mode" in blocks.

Non UDS cars do run a dedicated script basic settings test,........ and test counts are added if in clean mode.

VCDS testers "push" on adventurer .......your quest awaits for the Holy cup filled with soot.

A NostraJackAss Quatrain.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
FYI.........
Additional script tests found in hidden undocumented modes in the 200 Series channels on TP 2.0 CAN EDC17..........:p

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The following blocks can commence for TP2.0 TDI for readiness.

0x01-04-200 >204 and 220>224 with no security login needed in basic settings.

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
The following blocks can commence for TP2.0 TDI for readiness.

0x01-04-200 >204 and 220>224 with no security login needed in basic settings.

Could you elaborate the procedure for us newbs? I tried going in basic settings and entering 200-204 in the field and didn't see anything useful. I'm currently fighting to get at least two of the three remainig monitors to clear on my wife's 2010 TDI - 'Catalyst Monitor', 'Heated Catalyst Monitor' and 'Oxygen Sensor Monitor' (Which near as I can tell are actually 'NMHC catalyst Monitor', 'NOx/SCR Aftertreatment Monitor' and 'Exhaust Gas Sensor Monitor', respectively).

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Thanks - that thread makes sense, and was essentially what I thought you meant. So, maybe I'm just dense, or just too new at VCDS and working on VWs, but I'm still lost...

I went into basic settings, and into each block you specified, and I got the attached results. Not sure what should be done here, and have no idea what is what.... I FINALLY got another monitor to clear , so I'm down to 'Catalyst monitoring' and 'Oxygen sensor monitoring' not complete... Since there doesn't seem to be any indication what block is what, or really what to do, if those blocks are something to help get these monitors to set ready, not knowing which is which and not knowing what actually needs to be done, the info doesn't really help... NORMALLY, I'd be game for messing around and seeing what is what, but I have been trying to get the monitors to complete since June, and my wifes cars reg is now expired due to the emissions failing (we took it in for inspection, pretty much knowing it would fail emissions, so we have the failure paperwork and thus some cushion with the law), so I want to get it to all ready so it'll pass (the law says one not ready is ok, and I'd be fine with that, but I've been told by a local person that's familiar with VW diesels that apparently even one not ready will fail a diesel) and we can get it renewed, and I really don't want to screw it up. Any advice?

Edit: These were KOEO

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Thanks - that thread makes sense, and was essentially what I thought you meant. So, maybe I'm just dense, or just too new at VCDS and working on VWs, but I'm still lost...

I went into basic settings, and into each block you specified, and I got the attached results. Not sure what should be done here, and have no idea what is what.... I FINALLY got another monitor to clear , so I'm down to 'Catalyst monitoring' and 'Oxygen sensor monitoring' not complete... Since there doesn't seem to be any indication what block is what, or really what to do, if those blocks are something to help get these monitors to set ready, not knowing which is which and not knowing what actually needs to be done, the info doesn't really help... NORMALLY, I'd be game for messing around and seeing what is what, but I have been trying to get the monitors to complete since June, and my wifes cars reg is now expired due to the emissions failing (we took it in for inspection, pretty much knowing it would fail emissions, so we have the failure paperwork and thus some cushion with the law), so I want to get it to all ready so it'll pass (the law says one not ready is ok, and I'd be fine with that, but I've been told by a local person that's familiar with VW diesels that apparently even one not ready will fail a diesel) and we can get it renewed, and I really don't want to screw it up. Any advice?

Edit: These were KOEO

Basic setting "TESTS" are only good if you actually have the test set to "ON" and you also need to have a brake and gas pedal pressed with a remote take over for these tests to perform the macro.

Find the additional hidden portals..........Get the DHD and ZPM.........then dial the area code extension chevron to Atlantis.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Basic setting "TESTS" are only good if you actually have the test set to "ON" and you also need to have a brake and gas pedal pressed with a remote take over for these tests to perform the macro.

Right - I was just looking to see what came up so I could see if there was anything that would indicate what each test did. Since I have no idea what does what, I don't want to just play with things and risk messing up the monitors that have completed.

Find the additional hidden portals..........Get the DHD and ZPM.........then dial the area code extension chevron to Atlantis.
:confused:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
If a readiness monitor is already ready, it will not be disrupted by these tests. Further the only things which reset monitor tests are the following.
Clearing DTC's. 0x01-02-05
Resetting an ADP 0x01-10-000
Recoding 0x01-07-coding string.
Relash or entering EOLE modes...83,84,85,86,89 etc...
Other logins or ADP modes in extended Hex address.
An undefined switched voltage condition disruption of volitile memory or a manipulation of boot strap or flash/eeprom virtual or delayed ram write to registers in MCU/flipped to eeprom or forensic shadow eeprom.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I can't but help feel your pain for the CAT readiness monitor; in 2013 when my very own TDI failed a NYS inspection.

No codes CAT not ready!

The factory repair manual appears to generalize this for gas and diesel cars.

Readiness Code
Readiness code description
Diagnostics are performed at regular intervals during normal vehicle operation. After repairing an emissions related system, a readiness code is generated by road testing the vehicle.
If a malfunction is recognized during the drive cycle, it will be stored in the DTC memory.
The OBD drive cycle operation will be monitored with a hand held diagnostic tool. Consult the manufacturer's instruction manual for correct tool operation.
The readiness code is erased every time the DTC memory is erased or any time the battery is disconnected. If the DTC memory has been erased or the battery is disconnected, a new readiness code must be generated.
Only erase the DTC memory if a DTC has been stored.
General recommendations
Most monitors will complete easier and quicker using a “steady-foot” and “smooth” acceleration during the drive cycle operation, cruise, and acceleration modes.
Operating conditions
For the EVAP monitor test, the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature must be between 10° C and 35° C with a difference between them no greater than 4° C. The ambient air temperature must not change more than 4° C during the drive cycle procedure (e.g. when driving out of a heated workshop in the winter).
Test requirements
l Erase the DTC memory.
l Coolant temperature must be between 80° C and 110° C.
l The intake air temperature must be between 10° C and 35° C.
l Battery voltage must be a minimum of 12.5 volts.
l Fuel tank level 1/4 to 3/4 full.
Drive Cycle Procedure
– Connect the scan tool.
– Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
– Idle the vehicle for 2-3 minutes. This executes the O2 heater, misfire, secondary air injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
– Drive the vehicle at 45-55 mph for a continuous 7-minute period - avoid stopping. This executes the evaporative, O2 sensor, fuel trim, and misfire monitors.
– Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM; lift off the throttle until the engine speed is around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off.
– Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60-65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min, this executes the catalyst; O2 sensor, misfire, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
– Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the misfire, secondary sir injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
– Check the status of the readiness code.
NoteDepending on the scan tool used. The readiness code status may be displayed as complete, passed or OK.
– If any engine monitor fails the drive cycle test. Repeat the drive cycle test until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
NoteWhen repeating the drive cycle operation for a failed evaporative or thermostat monitor, allow the engine to cool until the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature are be between 10° C and 35° C with a difference no greater than 4° C and repeat the drive cycle operation.
If the drive cycle operation fails again.
– Check the DTC memory for stored DTCs.
Repair the vehicle if necessary.
– Repeat the drive cycle operation until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
– Remove the scan tool and switch the ignition off.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...Motorsports!-WTF&p=67692&viewfull=1#post67692

If it was emissions related, wouldn't it be required by law to respond to generic OBD-II requests? ;)

-Uwe-

And if an ABS related issue exists or other, such as for communication.........take gun out salt it and insert in mouth.

Proprietary area of scanner: 0x01

1 Fault Found:

049441- No Communication with ABS Brake Control Module
U0121 - 000- - -Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 2737 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 01 :07:05

OBD2 mode 0x33 :

0802 mode of scanner waiting to pend with probiem induced to recreate.
With reset of DTC's still showing pend for issue.
Mode 07: Pending emission related fault codes
Address 7E8: 1 Fault Found:
U0121 -No Communication with ABS Brake Control Module
Mode 9 : Calibration Identification
Type 02- VIN: 3VWAL71K19M007485 (Address E8)
Type 04- Calibration ID: 03L997016N 5109 (Address E8)
Type 06- Calibration Verification Number: F8D4A8FC (Address E8)
Type OA- Controller Name : ECM-Engine Control (Address E8)

EPA's response .........& to get that GeKo Password and username only took 2 years......seems reasonable!

Additionally we were ultimately denied access to repairing the car in this response for SVM or ABS related repairs.

Issue: Several independent aftermarket shops have expressed concern that VW is
violating EPA service information regulations requiring the availability of immobilizer
reprogramming.
Overview of what the regulations require

Manufacturers must make available the ability for immobilizers to be
reprogrammed and/or replaced if this is an integral procedure to the completion an
emissions-related repair.
o
For 1996 – 2009 model year vehicles, EPA allowed VW to meet this
requirement using the VW specific scan tool
o
For 2010 and later model years, the regulations require manufacturers to
use pass-thru for immobilizer reprogramming.
To satisfy the EPA requirements for immobilizer reprogramming, VW has in place the
following process:

For Pre-2010 model year vehicles:
o
Aftermaket shops register with VW and pay a one-time $100 dollar
registration fee. This allows VW to monitor the users of the service. A
Geko ID is not required for this process because VW controls the process
through the tool.
o
Immobilizer reprogramming is administered by a fulfillment house
(Arvato, which is the new vendor as of December 1)
o
Aftermarket shops who own the VAS 5052 tool go to the Arvato web site
and fill out a request form and pay $29.95 per instance.
o
The request is sent to VW who calls the requestor back
o
The car is hooked up to the tool and the immobilizer is reinitialized via the
Internet.

2010 model year vehicles and later:
o
Immobilizer reprogramming is done directly via the Erwin site and does
not require interaction with the fulfillment house and is $29.95 per
instance
o
The process can either be done with a VAS 5052 or a J2534 pass-thru
cable and a laptop for shops who do not own the VW specific tool.
o
A GeKo ID is required for this process. Aftermarket shops who are
already registered will need to re-register with VW, but do not have to pay
the $100 fee. A shop who has never registered with VW will need to do
so and pay the one time $100 fee.
There is a separate program administered by the National Automotive Service Task Force
(NASTF) for aftermarket shops to voluntary participate in if they wish to make keys.
This process is based on the Secure Data Release Model (SDRM) developed jointly by
the manufacturers and NASTF to allow aftermarket shops to essentially become
locksmiths if they choose to make key replacement services available to their customers.
The availability of keys is not covered by EPA regulations so we have no regulatory
authority over manufacturer participation in this program
. It is important to note that

participation in SDRM is not required to perform the immobilizer reprogramming
services above.
Aftermarket shops also raised questions about the availability of VW’s SVM (Software
Version Management) System. According to VW, SVM is the system that is used by
VW dealers to reprogram emissions and non-emissions related systems such as ABS or
body modules. To satisfy the EPA requirement to make emissions related reprogramming
available to the aftermarket, VW has emission related module reprogramming available
via Pass thru on their Erwin web site
. This approach satisfies the EPA regulations for
emissions-related reprogramming. EPA has no regulatory authority to require that any
manufacturer make available information covering anything other than emissions control
systems and therefore we cannot compel VW to make the SVM system available to
aftermarket shops.
Regarding the latest information on some of the issues experience by aftermarket techs
over the last few days, VW advised EPA that they were switching to a new vendor to
manage their immobilizer reprogramming services. While it is unfortunate that there
appears to have been some issues in the timeliness of providing the service, EPA believes
it is reasonable to allow some time for VW to work through what appear to be technical
transition issues. We have asked VW to keep us apprised of the situation to ensure that
these transition issues are worked through in a timely manner.
Based on the information currently available to us, EPA believes that VW is in
compliance with immobilizer reprogramming requirements as required by the
regulations. If you have additional information that you would like us to consider, please
let me know.

I attach the DTC's which will create an MIL to date, however, when requesting information from the OEM or through the EPA you will be SOL!
These are right from the factory repair manual.......

DTC Error Message Diagnostic
Procedure
Malfunction
Criteria and
Threshold
Value
Secondary
Parameters
with Enable
Conditions
Monitoring
Time Length
Frequency
of checks,
MIL
Illumination

U0001 High Speed CAN
Communication Bus
– Check the CAN
Bus. Refer to

Chapter „CAN

Bus Terminal
Resistance,
Checking“

CAN driver A
status Bus Off.
Engine running 200 mSec.
2 DCY

U0002 High Speed CAN
Communication Bus
Performance
– Check the CAN
Bus. Refer to

Chapter „CAN

Bus Terminal
Resistance,
Checking“

CAN driver A
status
Engine running 240 mSec.
2 DCY

U0029 Vehicle
Communication Bus A
Performance
– Check the CAN
Bus. Refer to

Chapter „CAN

Bus Terminal
Resistance,
Checking“

CAN driver B
status no
communication
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY

U0101 Lost Communication
with TCM
Check TCM
communication with
a scan tool. If no
TCM communication
with scan tool and all
other modules
communicate, check
TCM power and
grounds. If OK,
replace TCM
Module.
No TCM
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY

U0121 Lost Communication
With Anti-Lock Brake
System (ABS) Control
Module
Check ABS
communication with
a scan tool. If no
ABS communication
with scan tool and all
other modules
communicate, check
ABS power and
grounds. If OK,
No messages
received from
ABS module
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY

replace ABS
Module.
U0155 Lost Communication
With Instrument Panel
Cluster (IPC) Control
Module
Check IPC
communication with
a scan tool. If no IPC
communication with
scan tool and all
other modules
communicate, check
IPC power and
grounds. If OK,
replace IPC Module.
No messages
received from
Instrument
cluster
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY
U0302 Software
Incompatibility with
Transmission Control
Module
Check for correct
software in ECM and
TCM. If software is
incorrect, reflash
module with correct
software.
Wrong TCM
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY
U0402 Invalid Data Received
From Transmission
Control Module
May have VIN error.
Check VIN in each
module for correct
data
Wrong TCM
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY
U0415 Invalid Data Received
From Anti-Lock Brake
System Control Module
May have VIN error.
Check VIN in each
module for correct
data
Invalid ABS
messages sent.
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY
U0423 Invalid Data Received
From Instrument Panel
Cluster Control Module
May have VIN error.
Check VIN in each
module for correct
data
Error message
sent from
instrument
cluster to ECU
Battery voltage
> 9 V
440 mSec.
2 DCY
U1024 Control module for
instrument panel insert
please read DTC
Error message
sent from
instrument
cluster to ECU
Communication
time after T15
on = 1 Sec.
2 Sec.
2 DCY
Engine Control Module

U0415 Invalid Data Received
From Anti-Lock Brake
System Control Module
May have VIN error.
Check VIN in each
module for correct
data
Invalid ABS
messages sent.
Engine running 440 mSec.
2 DCY

Yeah this one above is my favorite ...........

If the ABS is not able to be interrogated by the OBD2 specification as Uwe sites, than why is the VIN in the ABS module relevant for a communication DTC? Further why do any of these codes above illuminate a DTC for an MIL? Especially if the EPA and OEM state or is their position that they are not emissions related, and we are not able to access that information as I was denied in 2008>?

It means to me that if a new or used ABS module is installed, it effects the ability to pass an emissions inspection, vicariously via the MIL being illuminated.

This can be no different than having to marry a cluster or key for GeKo on SVM FaZit ........could it? :banghead:

So my question to Uwe is.......... does the OBD2 spec call out for a cluster 0x17 or Immobilizer 0x25, and if these are deemed by the EPA to be emission's related, than why are not all the others as described in that DTC list above not CAA related if they trigger an MIL?;)

With that compare and contrast.......

I think this qualifies the AFT and RT, further to be given rights to request ( I'm sorry "demand" ) access to all CP, and long coding information, & as described by the CAA law within the boundaries of the USA under title USC 40 .

NostraJackAss Has Spoken.....................

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
So I just ran through all the tests you specified... And this car will be the death of me... the results, according to VCDS are as follows:

200 - abort
201 - OK
202 - OK
203 - abort
204 - error/204 not available

220 - OK
221 - OK
222 - OK
223 - OK
224 - OK

And at the end, the same freaking monitors are not ready... Want to bet 200 & 203 are related to the incomplete monitors?

I also did an autoscan, and the only modules reporting any kind of malfunction are 09 (Cent. Elect.) and 65 (Tire Pressure). No comms codes.

Maybe I should garage this thing until VW will give something meaningful and buy her a Volt.......

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So my question to Uwe is.......... does the OBD2 spec call out for a cluster 0x17 or Immobilizer 0x25, and if these are deemed by the EPA to be emission's related, than why are not all the others as described in that DTC list above not CAA related if they trigger an MIL?
Cluster 0x17 or Immobilizer 0x25 are not emissions related components because if they don't communicate, the car won't start and won't produce any emissions at all. :D

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Cluster 0x17 or Immobilizer 0x25 are not emissions related components because if they don't communicate, the car won't start and won't produce any emissions at all. :D

-Uwe-

I put to you if they are not emission's related sir....... why why why?

Than why does the MIL illuminate if these systems DTC messages are displayed as I aforementioned as an emissions related fault that fails SMOG?

Why does the GeKo IRF program exist, the Pass-Thru specification, or the NASTF?

Why does the EPA agree, that in order for the OEM to be CAA compliant, that a part must auto-adapt, or the tool be made available to operate/marry an emissions device, or a tool that can be purchased at significant less cost which does do these tasks?

Why does the NASTF exist, or the requirement to join an outside vetting agent?

Most of all........ why does a conformity certificate by the EPA or DOT get granted if these issues exist?

This all seems to be a "regulatory capture conspiracy"..........or we just have some really carless unqualified workers in this agency, which further breach oath of duty, or fail to act when cries for help are requested.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
And at the end, the same freaking monitors are not ready... Want to bet 200 & 203 are related to the incomplete monitors?

Those errors are there because you don't meet a requirement to do that test, or are in a CAA nefarious violation learn loop or restriction.

Please verify your ZPM is up to full capacity.

Resetting the DTC memory and or recoding may in fact help circumvent the loop or allow for the procedure to commence.

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Those errors are there because you don't meet a requirement to do that test, or are in a CAA nefarious violation learn loop or restriction.

Please verify your ZPM is up to full capacity.

Resetting the DTC memory and or recoding may in fact help circumvent the loop or allow for the procedure to commence.

Am I missing some legit meaning for ZPM, or are you ragging on VW referencing the mythical Zero Point Module? :)

It would be nice if the tests could give back more data than 'aborted' to help determine what isn't behaving.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Am I missing some legit meaning for ZPM, or are you ragging on VW referencing the mythical Zero Point Module? :)

Both............:D

It would be nice if the tests could give back more data than 'aborted' to help determine what isn't behaving.

Yeah welcome to my world and the long process I endured..........
Tests can be determined though by paying close attention to what readiness bit is displayed, & by self aborting count downs and referencing measuring block values before and after or ADP learned values.

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
So I think I am getting near the end of my rope with this car... This is just plain retarded. Never before have I had this much trouble getting everything to set... My old 95 Cougar had some goofy requirements for an actual drive cycle to get all the monitors to set (it was OBD2,but 'pre ODB2'), but they were actually doable on public roads, and clearly defined... the things I've found that are supposed to be the 'drive cycle' for this car are IMPOSSIBLE on anything other than a dedicated circle track or a dyno...

I took a chance and cleared DTCs, thus resetting the monitors. I then ran all the basic settings in order - all completed with 'System OK' except tor 204, which gave the same 'error/204 not available'.

After which, only misfire, fuel and comprehensive were passed. I then went for a ~30mi round trip, keeping it in 5th at highway speeds of 60-70mph (most of it was interstate). When I got back home and checked, all monitors except for the same three that were not set at inspection were set as passed - seems those did set faster than last time.

Any other tips to get this thing so it'll pass emissions? It would be nice if it would either tell me what it thinks is wrong or just set everything as passed already...

Does any of this give any ideas?

Before resetting, 'Heated catalyst monitoring' was also set passed.

Code:
Number of DTCs stored: 0  --  MIL Status: MIL OFF
Misfire monitoring:  Passed
Fuel System:  Passed
Comprehensive Components:  Passed
Catalyst monitoring:  Failed or Incomplete
Heated catalyst monitoring:  Failed or Incomplete
Evaporative system monitoring: Not installed.
Secondary air system monitoring:  Passed
A/C system refrigerant monitoring: Not installed.
Oxygen sensor monitoring:  Failed or Incomplete
Oxygen sensor heater monitoring:  Passed
Exhaust Gas Recirculation:  Passed

Friday,05,August,2016,10:23:33:34053
VCDS Release 16.8.0 (x64):  Generic OBD2

Type 02 - VIN : 3VWAL7AJ1AM****** (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : 03L906019C (Address E8)
Type 04 - Calibration ID : 02E300052T  2114 (Address E9)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 51EFE96B (Address E8)
Type 06 - Calibration Verification Number : 00003F9A (Address E9)
Type 0A - Controller Name : ECM-Engin (Address E8)
Type 0A - Controller Name : TCM-TransmisCtrl (Address E9)
Type 0B - In-use performance tracking :
    OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 3188
    Ignition cycle count : 6894
    Conditions completion count / Specificied conditions encountered count
         NMHC Catalyst : 289 / 186
         NOx/SCR Catalyst : 0 / 0
         NOx Adsorber : 885 / 3186
         PM Filter : 374 / 186
         Exhaust Gas Sensor : 180 / 3188
         EGR and/or VVT : 1730 / 3186
         Boost Pressure : 3717 / 3188
         Fuel : 3717 / 3188

Monday,08,August,2016,14:30:11:34053

Type 04 - Calibration ID : 03L906019CM 7967 (Address E8)
Type 0A - Controller Name : ECM-EngineControl (Address E8)
    OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 3200
    Ignition cycle count : 6913
         NMHC Catalyst : 289 / 187
         NOx Adsorber : 887 / 3198
         PM Filter : 375 / 186
         Exhaust Gas Sensor : 180 / 3200
         EGR and/or VVT : 1739 / 3198
         Boost Pressure : 3730 / 3200
         Fuel : 3730 / 3200

Monday,08,August,2016,17:06:47:34053

Type 04 - Calibration ID : 03L906019CM 7967 (Address E8)
Type 0A - Controller Name : ECM-EngineContro (Address E8)
    OBD Monitoring Conditions Encountered count : 3201
    Ignition cycle count : 6917
         NMHC Catalyst : 289 / 187
         NOx Adsorber : 888 / 3199
         PM Filter : 375 / 187
         Exhaust Gas Sensor : 180 / 3201
         EGR and/or VVT : 1740 / 3199
         Boost Pressure : 3731 / 3201
         Fuel : 3731 / 3201

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Any other tips to get this thing so it'll pass emissions? It would be nice if it would either tell me what it thinks is wrong or just set everything as passed already...

Does any of this give any ideas?

Yup.........
Start with a complete auto-scan please in code tags.

Thank you

Back