Clean Diesel Readiness Status

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Not exactly sure what you're saying Jack, but with regards to ignoring the MIL being the cause to DPF failures and the subsequent LP EGR clogging followed by P0401's, that is not the case and we all know it. SHOULD a MIL have been illuminated when something wasn't right? Yes, and that may be part of what you're saying, in that VW prevented the MIL from illuminating when it should have.

As far as the MIL and these events, the first time we ever got a MIL was around 70k. You guessed it - P0401, diagnosis, cracked DPF - replaced DPF and EGR filter (warranty). I do somewhat question if the dealer ACTUALLY replaced the DPF, or if they only replaced the EGR filter to get it past warranty, and it happened to last about 30k (for all I know, the first DPF could have cracked around 30k and went a long time before clogging the EGR filter), and perhaps the heat burning the oil off after the turbo failure widened the crack causing the second filter I put in to clog up much faster.

The second time we got a MIL was when the turbo blew back in March (Underboost). When I replaced the turbo, I did note soot in the EGR filter already, so the DPF had cracked at some point prior to the turbo failing. After that, the MIL stayed gone for about two months, when it finally popped up with another P0401, which is half of what I've been battling. With these cars and VWs programming, at least WRT emissions and the DPF issues, the MIL doesn't come on until we're well past the point of no return.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Well, at this point, my struggle is moot - The towel is officially being thrown in on this car - we got the VW settlement packet yesterday and my wife is choosing the buyback option (her car so her choice). So I will be having the dealer give me an estimate to fix the issue (DPF and EGR filter MINIMUM) and getting an estimate based waiver, (estimate will probably be no less than 4x the estimate needed for the waiver) and getting the reg renewed so its legal until it all goes down.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not exactly sure what you're saying Jake, but with regards to ignoring the MIL being the cause to DPF failures and the subsequent LP EGR clogging followed by P0401's, that is not the case and we all know it. SHOULD a MIL have been illuminated when something wasn't right? Yes, and that may be part of what you're saying, in that VW prevented the MIL from illuminating when it should have.

As far as the MIL and these events, the first time we ever got a MIL was around 70k. You guessed it - P0401, diagnosis, cracked DPF - replaced DPF and EGR filter (warranty). I do somewhat question if the dealer ACTUALLY replaced the DPF, or if they only replaced the EGR filter to get it past warranty, and it happened to last about 30k (for all I know, the first DPF could have cracked around 30k and went a long time before clogging the EGR filter), and perhaps the heat burning the oil off after the turbo failure widened the crack causing the second filter I put in to clog up much faster.

The second time we got a MIL was when the turbo blew back in March (Underboost). When I replaced the turbo, I did note soot in the EGR filter already, so the DPF had cracked at some point prior to the turbo failing. After that, the MIL stayed gone for about two months, when it finally popped up with another P0401, which is half of what I've been battling. With these cars and VWs programming, at least WRT emissions and the DPF issues, the MIL doesn't come on until we're well past the point of no return.

It's Jack not Jake, however, I understand I was supposed to be named Jake.:thanks:

You are correct, VW has in fact widened the threshold to allow a fault to pend for sensors late, or deleted DTC's tables so they are set to an implausible value to further not hit that threshold & never pend.

Flash updates for the OXS sensors was a first indicator for a rich or slow/no response code.
TSB's will show that if looking.

And yeah a day late and dollar short of the proper time.

This was done to further hide the nefarious act, and poor USA fuel grade for lower Centane in comparison to EU. Here in the USA we are at 40 Cetane!

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/fuel_automotive.php

When TDI was released in the USA the Cetane value in 1996 was already 45.....far below the EU value!

This is why they have to buy the cars back because the cars already pile up when running lean and if they ran that much richer to lower the NOX full time the DPF fills up very fast.

I have cut open about 10 DPF's with supposed "cracks" for a diagnosis.........
One was damaged from an accident and confirmed......so was the block and motor mount ripped out.
The rest were just filled to the brim with soot.

I cleaned them, inspected, re-welded, and gave them to people for free, and they all worked fine........8 of them!
All the EGR valves I received, and the same way; I cleaned and gave away for free which worked in no error.

If the DPF unit is full......... it goes to the EGR too..........
Now if the DPF catches on fire....... the MIL & regen lights were on long before for EGT or PSI values........so yeah I call BS.

It is my opinion, that this myth has been spread to encourage people to remove the DPF by the AFT, or sell parts as usual.

No disrespect to "mikeme", however, a large amount of his posts, seem to point toward a service, or part that are in my opinion...... "not needed" and than when you show real changes to consider for less or no money, he gets defensive.
Not picking on you Mike...... I like your threads..........hence why I liked your post! :thumbs:

I have asked for nothing and just recommend you clean your parts..........

Just because something is posted on the net, has graphs or fun pictures attached........ doesn't make it true!
The only thing I saw that was a saver for a TDI on the AFT, was the intake flap motor block, so the sensor didn't sweep past its mechanical/electronic threshold, further causing a DTC, or preventing a servo motor flap to stick/ADP.

Otherwise it's probably an agenda, false flag, or yellow urine journalism........:cool:

Always fun reading though......
https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/fuel_reference.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

https://web.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/preprint archive/Files/35_4_WASHINGTON DC_08-90_1080.pdf

http://fleetowner.com/site-files/fl...012/09/Fleet Owner rebutal article 9-1-12.pdf

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
It's Jack not Jake, however, I understand I was supposed to be named Jake.:thanks:

Sorry about that - my bad. I have no idea where I got Jake from... wires crossed somewhere. :o

You are correct, VW has in fact widened the threshold to allow a fault to pend for sensors late, or deleted DTC's tables so they are set to an implausible value to further not hit that threshold & never pend.

Flash updates for the OXS sensors was a first indicator for a rich or slow/no response code.
TSB's will show that if looking.

And yeah a day late and dollar short of the proper time.

This was done to further hide the nefarious act, and poor USA fuel grade for lower Centane in comparison to EU. Here in the USA we are at 40 Cetane!

https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/fuel_automotive.php

When TDI was released in the USA the Cetane value in 1996 was already 45.....far below the EU value!

This is why they have to buy the cars back because the cars already pile up when running lean and if they ran that much richer to lower the NOX full time the DPF fills up very fast.

I have cut open about 10 DPF's with supposed "cracks" for a diagnosis.........
One was damaged from an accident and confirmed......so was the block and motor mount ripped out.
The rest were just filled to the brim with soot.

I cleaned them, inspected, re-welded, and gave them to people for free, and they all worked fine........8 of them!
All the EGR valves I received, and the same way; I cleaned and gave away for free which worked in no error.

If the DPF unit is full......... it goes to the EGR too..........
Now if the DPF catches on fire....... the MIL & regen lights were on long before for EGT or PSI values........so yeah I call BS.

It is my opinion, that this myth has been spread to encourage people to remove the DPF by the AFT, or sell parts as usual.

No disrespect to "mikeme", however, a large amount of his posts, seem to point toward a service, or part that are in my opinion...... "not needed" and than when you show real changes to consider for less or no money, he gets defensive.
Not picking on you Mike...... I like your threads..........hence why I liked your post! :thumbs:

I have asked for nothing and just recommend you clean your parts..........

Just because something is posted on the net, has graphs or fun pictures attached........ doesn't make it true!
The only thing I saw that was a saver for a TDI on the AFT, was the intake flap motor block, so the sensor didn't sweep past its mechanical/electronic threshold, further causing a DTC, or preventing a servo motor flap to stick/ADP.

Otherwise it's probably an agenda, false flag, or yellow urine journalism........:cool:

Always fun reading though......
https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/fuel_reference.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

https://web.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/preprint archive/Files/35_4_WASHINGTON DC_08-90_1080.pdf

http://fleetowner.com/site-files/fl...012/09/Fleet Owner rebutal article 9-1-12.pdf

I was going to continue to take the 'clean the parts' approach and work to getting it resolved and functioning 'acceptably' for now until VW released their 'fix' - I was going to get a 'high volume' EGR filter to eliminate the P0401, clean the O2 Sensors and work to getting the readiness set so it would pass and be happy, but my wife decided she would rather take the buyback option and get either a Volt, Cruze or Malibu (most likely) than take the the $5100 'restitution'. Personally, I was leaning towards fixing it and using the $5100 to pay off the parts and tools I had to buy to fix it in March and then some, but like I said before, her car, her choice :shrug:. Although I'm not going to lie: I'm not exactly heartbroken that I will not have to do a timing belt on it in 15k or so or replace the DMF (but now I am going to have to sell this brand new DMF sitting in my garage for it :rolleyes:)...

It's interesting that you say the DPFs were full, not cracked. One would think that a full DPF would still not allow soot past it, but instead, result in stupid high EGTs, reduced fuel economy, reduced performance due to excessive backpressure, stupid pressure deferential that it could measure and throw a CEL/DFP light, etc - heck in the worst case scenario, a burned up car... To be completely honest, I'd love to see a DPF that is allowing soot past taken apart and shown to not be cracked. I think it's also safe to say that if the DPF is filling with soot, rather than regenning properly, then there is something seriously wrong with VWs regen process. With that info, if we were going to take the restitution and get it fixed, I'd be willing to pay you to cut it open and clean it out (Assuming ours isn't truly cracked from all the oil that burned off after the turbo failure), but alas, it'll probably end up in a scrap yard somewhere. Which really is a shame because aside from the emissions issues, it's really not a bad car (but it is kind of a pain to work on ;)). But she submitted the forms today, so its fate is sealed.

Thanks for your help in attempting to get this fixed up - hopefully the data I posted will be helpful to someone.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I was going to continue to take the 'clean the parts' approach and work to getting it resolved and functioning 'acceptably' for now until VW released their 'fix' - I was going to get a 'high volume' EGR filter to eliminate the P0401, clean the O2 Sensors and work to getting the readiness set so it would pass and be happy, but my wife decided she would rather take the buyback option and get either a Volt, Cruze or Malibu (most likely) than take the the $5100 'restitution'. Personally, I was leaning towards fixing it and using the $5100 to pay off the parts and tools I had to buy to fix it in March and then some, but like I said before, her car, her choice :shrug:. Although I'm not going to lie: I'm not exactly heartbroken that I will not have to do a timing belt on it in 15k or so or replace the DMF (but now I am going to have to sell this brand new DMF sitting in my garage for it :rolleyes:)...

It's interesting that you say the DPFs were full, not cracked. One would think that a full DPF would still not allow soot past it, but instead, result in stupid high EGTs, reduced fuel economy, reduced performance due to excessive backpressure, stupid pressure deferential that it could measure and throw a CEL/DFP light, etc - heck in the worst case scenario, a burned up car... To be completely honest, I'd love to see a DPF that is allowing soot past taken apart and shown to not be cracked. I think it's also safe to say that if the DPF is filling with soot, rather than regenning properly, then there is something seriously wrong with VWs regen process. With that info, if we were going to take the restitution and get it fixed, I'd be willing to pay you to cut it open and clean it out (Assuming ours isn't truly cracked from all the oil that burned off after the turbo failure), but alas, it'll probably end up in a scrap yard somewhere. Which really is a shame because aside from the emissions issues, it's really not a bad car (but it is kind of a pain to work on ;)). But she submitted the forms today, so its fate is sealed.

Thanks for your help in attempting to get this fixed up - hopefully the data I posted will be helpful to someone.

I don't preform this service for profit, nor for the public.

It was done only for verified testing, and to prove to myself what is the actual problem.
I hate when typical forums such as the Whoretex, allow lying advertisers to defraud the public.
When I called it out, it was deemed arguing and I was banned!
That's also why I love this one..........RT has a moral compass that aligns with mine!

Like I said.......... I gave them away.

It still flows and plugs just like an intake in an ALH, it has a very small opening and moves the gases.

It's when it can't flow..... almost at all......... it catches on fire!

The MIL is always on before this for PSI, OXS and EGT........so like I said......... I call BS on it otherwise.

If your ABS isn't coded or wrong VIN, you also get an MIL light after 2 DCY's.
This can be observed in the aforementioned DTC table..........
According to VW's lie to the EPA, and the EPA's inability to check the data, just trusting a big business company...the owner and the aftermarket get it shoved right up our ass.

How could a guy in chicken and gravy Montgomery NY....... know more than the EPA or VWGoA?
I guess one day people may in fact find out.......if I'm not murdered or entrapped!

I find the whole process very disappointing! :banghead:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
I don't preform this service for profit, nor for the public.

It was done only for verified testing, and to prove to myself what is the actual problem.
I hate when typical forums such as the Whoretex, allow lying advertisers to defraud the public.
When I called it out, it was deemed arguing and I was banned!
That's also why I love this one..........RT has a moral compass that aligns with mine!

Like I said.......... I gave them away.

It still flows and plugs just like an intake in an ALH, it has a very small opening and moves the gases.

It's when it can't flow..... almost at all......... it catches on fire!

The MIL is always on before this for PSI, OXS and EGT........so like I said......... I call BS on it otherwise.

If your ABS isn't coded or wrong VIN, you also get an MIL light after 2 DCY's.
This can be observed in the aforementioned DTC table..........
According to VW's lie to the EPA, and the EPA's inability to check the data, just trusting a big business company...the owner and the aftermarket get it shoved right up our ass.

How could a guy in chicken and gravy Montgomery NY....... know more than the EPA or VWGoA?
I guess one day people may in fact find out.......if I'm not murdered or entrapped!

I find the whole process very disappointing! :banghead:

Frankly, this whole situation has nothing to to with the environment. The EPA is off the rails crazy, and they are in it for the money, nothing else. The proof is in that huge spill out west a bit back caused by their agents. That quietly disappeared. I'm sure no one went to jail, and fines were not levied. Why? How much money would they really be able to get out of the person or people who caused it? Not much. Besides, the .gov is above the law :rolleyes:. With the VWs, it's probably safe to say that the TDIs are still cleaner than the average new big rig with full current emissions - at the end of the day, it was a 'violation', and VW has deep pockets, so they will soak them for a ton of money.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Frankly, this whole situation has nothing to to with the environment. The EPA is off the rails crazy, and they are in it for the money, nothing else. The proof is in that huge spill out west a bit back caused by their agents. That quietly disappeared. I'm sure no one went to jail, and fines were not levied. Why? How much money would they really be able to get out of the person or people who caused it? Not much. Besides, the .gov is above the law :rolleyes:. With the VWs, it's probably safe to say that the TDIs are still cleaner than the average new big rig with full current emissions - at the end of the day, it was a 'violation', and VW has deep pockets, so they will soak them for a ton of money.

I guess this is where I agree to disagree.
I actually believe in the repair process "when fair"!, emission device's, the CAA......... and the EPA!

It's the corruption I am after, through regulatory capture, and failure in my opinion, to enforce the regulations, further by breach of duty! This is especially relevant to the aftermarket, which have been allowed to modify, tamper, and effectively delete almost everything in the diagnostic stack.......whether diesel or gas!

I think when someone in the industry is doing something far more nefarious/egregious, than what VW did; it is easy for the EPA to read a website that advertises these aforementioned illegal acts, further to shut them down real fast if they actually cared.

A couple letters and seizures in the newspaper, and you would see less people doing it.

EPA has a duty to set proper examples........so far...... I have seen no enforcement by the EPA of any gas cars in the mainstream media, however, I have seen AFT diesel stuff get nabbed.

It seems to me that the administration has deliberately gone after diesels, and not the gas cars.
To me that is selective enforcement.

I am extremely disappointed!

"Bye bye" ..........!:p

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree :).

I feel that the EPA is off the rails crazy and completely insane with regards to diesel emissions, more then likely because they 'look' bad, while the visual aspect is arguably less harmful than other aspects of diesel emissions... The soot is carbon, which will settle to the ground and return to nature. I've been behind DPF equipped vehicles in regen (not to mention the first regen after the turbo failure in the Jetta) and the stink was eye burning AWFUL. I would rather smell exhaust from a diesel that has no CAT, EGR or DPF, as the ones that have those components stink so bad they burn my eyes (YMMV). I would not be the slightest bit shocked if they only took into account 'normal operating' emissions, and 'omitted' regen emissions, and if adding regen emissions into the equation would make overall emissions worse than non-DPF vehicles, again, I would not be at all shocked. Also consider what I previously posted - they forced the DPF on us claiming the soot was harmful. Ok, maybe it is to a degree... but on the other hand, there is no way on earth the DPF can prevent ALL particulate matter from escaping, and that which is most likely to escape would be the smaller ash particles (Only a plug could prevent any and all matter from escaping, and we all know that won't work). These ash particles, obviously, are smaller than the soot particles, and thus are capable of 'burrowing' deeper in soft tissue (think asbestos)... I guarantee they can't (or won't) quantify how much ash can escape, but I also guarantee it's not zero. Not saying either is 'great', but one WILL degrade back into nature, the other won't, and one can get deeper into soft tissue than the other... Lets face it - the 2001 Duramax was orders of magnitude cleaner than the diesels of the 1980's, and I think that's a lot of where this crap comes from. That and the idiots that want to 'roll coal' - I'll admit, at one time, my truck smoked like a train if I got on it, not not because I wanted to, but because the tuning of the time sucked.... Now, with the tuning I have (which puts down more power than it did in the days it smoked like a train), in the last pulls I ran in, my truck put out no major smoke {maybe a slight haze at first, at most}, but overall, was FAR cleaner than almost any other truck, including those that didn't pull as far as me. I really only get any smoke whatsoever if I lug it... If the turbo is remotely spooled, forget smoke. These days, with the quality of tuning available, there is no reason for excessive smoke unless you're a retard that want's a 'smoke switch'. I love being able to put bus lengths on some smoking POS Cummins while not smoking at all. A good, clean running tune is the way to go.

I know they'll claim 'SMOG', however, I also know from things I've read in the past, that places most known for smog, such as Los Angeles, have historical reports of smog LOOONG before anyone (of todays magnitude) lived there, let alone the internal combustion engine even existing.

If they REALLY want to lower emissions overall, then they should 'mandate' biodiesel... overall, biodiesel has lower emissions than dino diesel - and it has the side effect of being RENEWABLE (Same goes for Ethanol, with a side effect of Ethanol being a great race fuel if tuned for it, as it has a very high octane rating)!!!! There is another fuel that is not 'technically' Biodiesel, but is renewable and overall seems to share similar traits, that escapes me... But as I eluded to previously, money talks... hence the oil companies squash renewable fuel options rather than embrace them as their future (Dino WILL run out - maybe not in the next 25, 50, 100, 200 years, but it will eventually... weaning off dino to bio is sound strategy IMO). Think of all the desert land that is useless for virtually anything - Algae based Biodiesel farms...

On the other hand, gas vehicles really haven't changed much, emissions wise, in the last 20+ years. My 21 year old Cougar has pretty much all the same emissions components as the latest gas vehicles. Probably the biggest difference is some/most newer vehicles have VVT, which, while not really an emissions component per se, allows the manufacturer to eliminate the EGR system because they can use VVT to promote exhaust scavenging in place of EGR. Beyond that, there is almost no difference.

Diesels, on the other hand, are another story. EGR on a diesel is a HORRIBLE idea - you should have seen the buildup in the intake system on my 04 Duramax at 30k. There is zero chance it would have made it to 100k without restricting 100% (without serious cleaning), and considering the buildup, it's not unreasonable to think it could potentially have ingested a big chunk of gunk and cause bigger issues... At the end of the day, EGR (potentially) reduces diesel engines longevity as it basically makes an air filter pointless - while soot is generated in the combustion chambers, EGR introduces even more, pre combustion - soot isn't CO2, and while still a natural component, it's more abrasive than CO2, and the potential for wear is greater. EGRs negative effect in a gas vehicle is negligible. Diesel, not so much.

My truck would have certainly clogged the EGR system 100% before 100k if not for a massive cleaning. My grandfathers 97 dodge/cummins plugged the cat to the point he couldn't get up any grade whatsoever while pulling a camper cross country. I'm sure neither of us are alone with these kinds of issues, and they simply don't happen with gas powered vehicles. The emissions components on diesels, on the whole, have a more detrimental effect than positive effect. The environmental impact is minimal (the VW 40x over violation amounts to GRAMS per vehicle, not TONNES), yet the impact to consumers is high. How many millions has TDI DPF 'failures' (full, cracked, whatever - the dealer says replace) costed consumers?

In the end, the US is, more then likely, by far, the cleanest nation in the world, emissions wise, with China continuing to contribute more than the vast majority of problems to the atmosphere. Even still, the EPA is off the chain crazy. If they REALLY had their way, they would have some kind of device attached to every cows butt in the country (cat converter or some capture device), as cows emit probably at least as much methane into the environment as cars do CO2 and other elements)... They would require all power generated by solar, wind or hydro... NO coal, NG, etc... That's not going to happen any tie soon. I'm not really against being reasonably clean, but we can only reduce our emissions so much. China is not going to stop. They will only increase, and continue to be the major contributor to pollution. If you consider everything overall, keeping our emissions at 2001 levels while China coming to our 2001 levels would have a FAR greater impact than eliminating all emissions in the US, with everyone driving solar/wind/hydro/human power electric vehicles and NO internal combustion engines/fossil fuels/renewable fuels whatsoever. But good luck getting that to happen.

At the end of the day, they should provide a legal option to delete this crap. If they provided a legal option to delete it all to those 'performance minded' (or otherwise), I suspect that the impact would be near nil, because a VERY small overall minority would really fit into that category. The next would be those where the emission crap REALLY hurts them - like those that spend weeks in the middle of nowhere (drilling fields), idling, etc, EMERGENCY VEHICLES (a subject that is close to me being a former VF - I would be PISSED if I ever saw someone I worked next to stranded with their equipment because the emissions crap failed, not to mention the additional property or LIFE loss caused by said failure :mad:). Again, a VERY small number. Barring those, most people (probably 98%+) don't care, as long as it works, which is where the last bit comes in - as I've said before, if they want this crap, then it should be warranty for the life of the vehicle (not original owner - the vehicle). The second half of that, however, is it needs to be reliable. The SINGLE.BIGGEST.COMPLAINT that I've heard about the newer trucks has been emissions systems. At this point, the DEF. A lifetime warranty on all components (we know how VW loves to try to say the EGR filter is not an 'emissions component') except for sensors would be a good start, however, this crap stranding you in the middle of nowhere is hardly a good thing.... I don't believe for a second they can make this crap reliable enough for emergency vehicles. Hell, I remember an old firetruck my stepfather owned that had dual coils and dual spark plugs per cylinder (It may have also had dual distributors as well - this was long ago before I learned as much as I have about vehicles)- The coil was next to the only thing that could fail, meaning if a coil failed, the truck could move on. That's not possible with this emissions crap - if it fails, you're screwed.

I know we disagree on the emissions aspect of things, and I'd be happy to debate you in another thread or PMs if you wish, but I think we've gunked up this thread enough :). If we don't debate this elsewhere or chat again, I wish you the best in your endeavors. Hopefully I've contributed some small useful bit to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah I don't see this part of your rant helpful to the thread, however, I do understand the frustration.

The only thing we agree on is that the EGR should not have a place in a diesel engine.

That said......... it is still required, and cleaning it is service work for someone.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Perspective. Everyone has got one. Many are different. ;)

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Perspective. Everyone has got one. Many are different. ;)

-Uwe-

Well I prefer every asshole has their own opinion...... I am and can be that asshole!

:cool:

Cougar:

I think if you want to rant that's great, how about you actually do something about it by writing your legislator or starting a petition.
At least I try to do stuff about it......and doing so I'm the asshole.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
Cougar:

I think if you want to rant that's great, how about you actually do something about it by writing your legislator or starting a petition.
At least I try to do stuff about it......and doing so I'm the asshole.

The problem is, at this point, I've pretty much given up on the government and society as a whole. 'Representatives', for the most part (there are exceptions), do NOT do what their constituents want, they do what THEY want, and what those feeding them money want. And as far as society, when you have more than 2% of the population supporting someone as a candidate for president who was, at BEST, grossly negligent with national security and handling of highly sensitive data... well, 'nuff said (If you or I did exactly what was done, we would be in prison - for a VERY long time. Good people have gone to prison for less). If we can get these career politicians out of the government and get people in who will ACTUALLY LISTEN to those they are supposed to represent and REPRESENT THEM, as well as uphold their oath of office, rather than ignore it, then I think we might get somewhere, but as it stands right now, it's a waste of time and an exercise in futility, unfortunately. I sure hope things can change for the better, but right the moment, I'm not holding my breath. :(

There are petitions to abolish the EPA, but unless you get that in front of people (think front page MSNBC, Fox, etc), you'll never get enough signatures, and even if you DO, it won't go anywhere (See previous comment about representatives). The EPA is truly off the rails crazy. I mean, SERIOUSLY???? Wood burning (the oldest form of combustion known to man - been going on since the dawn of time) 'heaters' now have some kind of 'Particulate matter emissions' requirements... Really?? I'm waiting for them to come out and say they are going to try to figure out how to capture all the emissions and PM from volcanoes and forest fires, and capture all the methane emitted by cows.... Except there is no money there, other than fining farmers/ranchers for not capturing their cows farts within EPA guidelines :rolleyes:.

Sorry for the further derail, but you asked :).

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The problem is, at this point, I've pretty much given up on the government and society as a whole. 'Representatives', for the most part (there are exceptions), do NOT do what their constituents want, they do what THEY want, and what those feeding them money want.
It's the same in all "democracies" - the elected politicians only want power for what they can get out of it themselves, once elected they ignore those who they are supposed to represent.

In the UK MPs are elected under the terms of "The Representation of the People Act" - which is a complete farce as they absolutely DO NOT represent us , our views or our daily problems.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The problem is, at this point, I've pretty much given up on the government and society as a whole. 'Representatives', for the most part (there are exceptions), do NOT do what their constituents want, they do what THEY want, and what those feeding them money want. And as far as society, when you have more than 2% of the population supporting someone as a candidate for president who was, at BEST, grossly negligent with national security and handling of highly sensitive data... well, 'nuff said (If you or I did exactly what was done, we would be in prison - for a VERY long time. Good people have gone to prison for less). If we can get these career politicians out of the government and get people in who will ACTUALLY LISTEN to those they are supposed to represent and REPRESENT THEM, as well as uphold their oath of office, rather than ignore it, then I think we might get somewhere, but as it stands right now, it's a waste of time and an exercise in futility, unfortunately. I sure hope things can change for the better, but right the moment, I'm not holding my breath.
frown.png

There are petitions to abolish the EPA, but unless you get that in front of people (think front page MSNBC, Fox, etc), you'll never get enough signatures, and even if you DO, it won't go anywhere (See previous comment about representatives). The EPA is truly off the rails crazy. I mean, SERIOUSLY???? Wood burning (the oldest form of combustion known to man - been going on since the dawn of time) 'heaters' now have some kind of 'Particulate matter emissions' requirements... Really?? I'm waiting for them to come out and say they are going to try to figure out how to capture all the emissions and PM from volcanoes and forest fires, and capture all the methane emitted by cows.... Except there is no money there, other than fining farmers/ranchers for not capturing their cows farts within EPA guidelines
rolleyes.png

Sorry for the further derail, but you asked
smile.png

That attitude is how nothing gets accomplished, I'd rather do something or if at least try!

Last edited:

Cougar281

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273963
So,yeah, I'm back for a bit lol. I didn't realize that to get that exemption, ALL monitors need to be complete and only one DTC present... so two or three not complete and one DTC won't cut it. They don't care WHY the two or three won't complete. That being said, immediately after I found that, I replaced the upstream O2 sensor, as that was the *most likely* to be damaged based on being soaked in oil after the turbo failure. I get where you're coming from with cleaning things vs replacing them, but with O2 sensors, they do naturally wear out. They can be cleaned, but there is no guarantee that cleaning them will in fact restore them to proper operation. It may fix them, it may help, or it may do neither, and I don't have the time or energy to dork with trying to clean something like an O2 sensor that, if the sensor is fouled/dirty, may or may not work even if you're 100% spot on with the cleaning procedure. After sitting with oil on the element for a week plus, it's entirely possible that the original sensor was toast and no amount of cleaning would have fixed it. If you want to play with it and see if you can return it to proper function and give it to someone, I'd be happy to send it to you and hear about it.

Anyway, that being said, a few days after replacing the sensor, the O2 sensor monitor *actually completed*! That's after about two months of driving with no completion on the original sensor. That SHOULD allow for a passed emissions test (only one monitor not complete).... HOWEVER.... I have the stupid P0401 back. I tried cleaning a filter by soaking it in gasoline overnight and draining/shaking the gas out and letting it evaporate twice, and while that gave a noticeable increase in flow using the very UN-scientific method of blowing through it, that only lasted a week before the P0401 came back.

That being said, since I haven't gotten a simple answer elsewhere and you seen to know a lot about how these cars operate, assuming I have managed a way for the P0401 to 'go away', how long (or how many key cycles without a problem) would it take for that P0401 to 'go away' and allow it to pass an OBD2 emissions scan? Or can it not be cleared any other way besides with VCDS and let everything complete?

*Disclaimer - my wife has already bought a 2015 Malibu to replace her Jetta - It's in our driveway now. At this point, I only want to get it to pass emissions so we can renew the plates to *make sure* that VW can't shaft us on the buyback as when she called about leaving the cars plates expired without getting into specifics (one thought we had, since we were having trouble getting it to pass emissions, was to just take it off the road and figure out how to get it to the VW dealership for the buyback), they said it must be registered (expired reg can be argued as not registered, so we don't want to take any chances....). The car will spend the vast majority, if not all of the time between getting the plates renewed and the VW Buyback sitting in our driveway. The plates on her Jetta will end up getting transferred to her new car once the Jetta is bought back (they are custom plates), so renewing them on the Jetta is little to no loss.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Additional CAT test found for readiness script block. 03L/019 series non UDS CAN TP.2.0

0x01-04-049 GAS/Brake ............Amplitude second field displayed.

Don't be surprised when it aborts........ due to not being in clean......... I mean dirtier mode, and pending a non MIL P2000 VAG 08192

And not a fart in 0x33..........

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Reactions: Uwe
Back