PM (private messages) questions

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Why do we have 100 messages limit for PM Inbox folder? A lot of similar forums use 500 limit by default. Ok, RT forum has a lot of users from all over the world, if all users will keep their inbox folders full of messages, containing not only plain text, but some hyperlinks, smileys etc., it will require a bit bigger server resources, but nothing critical, as we can't attach files to posts or PM's. 100 messages are nothing, if You do some message exchange with some, for example, five forum members and want to keep/save all complete conversation with each of them.
Is it possible to set up something like "Message queue" for situations when recipients inbox is over limit? My experience today showed me that if I send message and recipients inbox is full, message is not stored anywhere, not in my "Sent Items", nor recipients "Inbox", he didn't receive it when he cleaned up his Inbox folder.
I have seen folder called "Outbox" in some other forums. Message is stored there before recipient opened it. Advantage 1 - sender can see, is his message received and opened or not, advantage 2 - sender can open and edit or even cancel/delete his already sent message, before recipient opened it, Advantage 3 - message is stored somewhere "in the middle" and can't be lost if recipients inbox is overloaded.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
PM limits were set somewhat arbitrarily when we set up the forum, I think it was early in 2014.

You (and other Verified users) have 250 now. However, I'm not willing to go crazy on these limits. If you're going to have an extended conversation with someone, perhaps you should use PMs to exchange e-mail addresses? ;)

Different forum software has different capabilities. For example XenForo has "Conversations" instead of PMs; they work like private forum threads; it's really cool. However XenForo is also lacking some things that we have here, for example the acronym decoder. I'm guessing the PM features you are referring to exist in some other forum software, but I'm not aware how to implement them in Vbulletin. Perhaps there is some custom add-on...

-Uwe-

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Thanks, Uwe!
Not a big deal :) I was just surprised my sent message was lost because recipient's Inbox was full and I have to write it one more time instead of recipient receive it after cleaning up his Inbox. Of course, my fault, too. I didn't pay attention what was shown on screen after I click "Submit Message" button, I just navigate away from PM part of forum.
P.S. I have seen completely different PM service in phpBB forum software.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
P.S. I have seen completely different PM service in phpBB forum software.
Now that you mention it, I think that's where I've seen the "Outbox" feature too. I do visit one phpBB forum somewhat infrequently (it belongs to a friend of mine and isn't car-related).

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time effort to improve the PM capabilities here. One reason I resisted opening our own forum for so many years (which in retrospect was a mistake) is the amount of time it inevitably takes to run one. :eek:

-Uwe-

Back