Da Tow'd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217062
Hi Gang,
A little help
2001 Golf 1.8T 5 speed manual when backing up the shifter will not come out of reverse.
It feels fine and works 90% of the time
also second sometimes doesn't engage so they have been skipping second and going right into third
I'm thinking about replacing the clutch assembly
any thoughts
thanks
Hank

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Check shift mechanism cables for free movement. Check parts on transmission where cables are connected. Wear out of those parts cause inacurate shifting.

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there...

- Does the clutch slip or drag? Can you get it out of reverse when the engine is NOT running?

- You will also want to check your transmission fluid level.

- I would also drain some out and have a look at the condition.
Look for dark/dirty appearance and or metal in the fluid.

Personally I would try a fluid change, get the trans hot to help drain the fluid, follow the manual for fill and fluid specs.

There could be something going on internally within the transmission too..

Hope that helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Da Tow'd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217062
It would shift through all gears with the engine off

We opened the trans filler hole and a lot of oil came out- so we drained it thinking maybe it was overfilled- I'm used to sticking a finger to feel the oil level at the bottom of the hole

We added 2 L. of 75-90 Amzoil-- the old oil was slightly darker than the new 75-90. We even added a magnetic plug off a air cooled VW transaxle.
for the heck of it
took it for a drive and It still has the same reverse problem we had to shut it off to stop and get it out of gear. pushing in the clutch doesn't make it disengaged

So we dropped the transmission and installed a New LUK dual mass clutch assembly.
Back together and still on the hoist we started and tried the gears ---something wrong

The shifter in gear and I could turn the left front wheel by hand - my helper holding the right tire from turning I see that the flywheel isn't turning through the timing hole
something is wrong with the clutch. Seems that the clutch isn't fully grabbing - we removed the hydraulic slave cylinder to see if anything was up but still acted the same.
We reinstalled the slave cylinder and it still acts the same -- I can spin the drivers front wheel a lot easier when the clutch is depressed but it doesn't get hard as I expected when the clutch is released.
So tonight we dropped the gear box to see if anything was goofed up-- big mystery

your spiritual guidance is appreciated
cheers
Hank

Da Tow'd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217062
Hi Gang,
We replaced the New dual mass flywheel and clutch assembly with a single mass and still had the problem.
So back on the hoist and pulled the shifter assembly and found the gear selector cable bent and would not adjust
new cable on the way
cheers
Hank

Back